Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Old Republic

So Anubis being the objective person who is interested in this new MMO there isn't anything positive you saw?

Well Zard perhaps you could point out something that I overlooked because I didn't really go through the site thoroughly?

I watched the linked and am basically going off my knowledge of the SW universe because as WoWJamaica has pointed out they have been very secretive on the details so otherwise from the possible massive game content no there is nothing thus far.

Otherwise from your opinion and your background of the quality of SW what have you come across that has caught your eye?
    Intel i5 2300, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3, 12GB DDR3 @1600 MHZ, XFX 6870 2gb (Stock). All Stock

For in much wisdom is much grief, and increase of knowledge is increase of sorrow | If you love something let it go, if it comes back to you its yours if it doesn't, it never was.

It's too early but I really like what they mentioned about having individual stories, meaningful choices and Companion characters are so far very attractive. What I really want is a truly unique character that is different not only by race, name, country or class like many other MMOs.

I'm sick of killing 100 sheep quest (or other creatures or generic quests) without no real reason other than I have to do it to progress or unlock some new dungeon. I want (and hope for) immersion and a true relationship with created characters and players in the MMO community.

I understand your concerns Anubis, at first I was a little hesitant when I saw such a huge emphasis on storyline... nevertheless I have come to realize that storyline isn't the end all for this mmorpg... the only reason why they highlight storyline so much is because it is what they believe separates it from other mmorpg's.

They will have all those other "pillars" that make a good mmo a good mmo, which goes without saying... PvE, PvP, Quests, Game mechanics etc...

In the video they are assuming we should know that already and so they went on to elaborate on that "missing" factor in other mmo's which is an amazing storyline.
    If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by Zard View Post
    It's too early but I really like what they mentioned about having individual stories, meaningful choices and Companion characters are so far very attractive. What I really want is a truly unique character that is different not only by race, name, country or class like many other MMOs.

I'm sick of killing 100 sheep quest (or other creatures or generic quests) without no real reason other than I have to do it to progress or unlock some new dungeon. I want (and hope for) immersion and a true relationship with created characters and players in the MMO community.
    Okay I get that part you have not been the first person to mention they are tired of the swords and bows or the killing of life stock or wild life for questing but the companion character approach is not new Guild Wars has it also it made soloing easier and in the same breath reduced the challenge while other MMORPGs you had to find someone or you just salt in GW you could hire NPC to quest with you well I think that is why their is a division while in an RPG you would invest hours playing it leveling, customizing your character while enjoying the detailed story a MMORPG was created to foster towards building a relationship with other people and even "WAR" that was recently released try to emphasize on that because in some MMORPGs there are some classes that if use properly can solo the majority of quests and it tends to develope this I am an island personality with them and then when it comes to working with others they are terrible at it but I do understand your view my problem is with these new game developers they are starting to merge game genres to gain a wider appeal not everyone going to like one genre and the more they try to accomplish that is the more it affects the people who actually were playing the genre for what it is WoW has already made that mistake several times but as the money flow increase they keep doing and are showing no signs of stopping.

Quote Originally Posted by WoWJamaica View Post
    I understand your concerns Anubis, at first I was a little hesitant when I saw such a huge emphasis on storyline... nevertheless I have come to realize that storyline isn't the end all for this mmorpg... the only reason why they highlight storyline so much is because it is what they believe separates it from other mmorpg's.

They will have all those other "pillars" that make a good mmo a good mmo, which goes without saying... PvE, PvP, Quests, Game mechanics etc...

In the video they are assuming we should know that already and so they went on to elaborate on that "missing" factor in other mmo's which is an amazing storyline.
    Well WoW I have played some of the titles they mentioned like "Neverwinter: and Baldur's Gate" and I was not too fond of the gameplay there were several unique things about the gameplay though so look on it this way I like "Diablo" and basically WoW is an online and much more interactive version of Diablo but I wasn't too moved by "Baldur's Gate" or so it would seem that the gameplay of SWO would lean in the direction of those because in both instances of Bioware and Blizzard its the same designers and their creations tends to have a signature about them from you play or see the game you can detect similarities of who designed it it is like when I played "Rise Of Nations" and it was obvious it was using the "Age Of Empires" engine or a modified version but in the end it boils down to that all we can do is wait and see hopefully it comes out and tops the competition but there are several titles for it to push of the altar and then there is the King to dethrone
    Last edited by Anubis; Dec 11, 2008 at 09:59 AM.
    Intel i5 2300, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3, 12GB DDR3 @1600 MHZ, XFX 6870 2gb (Stock). All Stock

For in much wisdom is much grief, and increase of knowledge is increase of sorrow | If you love something let it go, if it comes back to you its yours if it doesn't, it never was.

First Video Documentary Coming Soon!

Today at 10:12am
    LucasArts and BioWare today announced that the first video documentary for Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ will be posted on the game’s official website on Friday, December 12. The video gives an overview of the upcoming story-driven massively multiplayer online PC game set in the timeframe of the Star Wars™: Knights of the Old Republic™ franchise and provides the public with its first look at in-game footage.

http://www.swtor.com/news/article/20081211_001
    If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.

a lot has happened in the last 5 months since this thread has gone dead. Lets bring it back to life!

The news and releases for this game just gets better and better.

Interesting stuff

Trooper Class
    http://www.swtor.com/info/classes/trooper

Bounty Hunter Class
    http://www.swtor.com/info/classes/bounty-hunter

Journal Entry: The Treaty of Coruscant
    http://www.swtor.com/info/timeline/timeline1

The Mandalorian Blockade is Broken
    http://www.swtor.com/info/timeline/m...lockade-broken

other updates and info on the site http://www.swtor.com/

PS can a mod change he name of this thread to reflect the proper name of the mmo? - Star Wars: The Old Republic
    Proud Jamaican and Japan Enthusiast
    www.Jamaipanese.com
    Jamaica + Japan

Okay so do you now how far along they are with development and a possible or projected release date personally I'm not expecting much of it but I will give it the benefit of the doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Okay so do you now how far along they are with development and a possible or projected release date personally I'm not expecting much of it but I will give it the benefit of the doubt
    it's expected in late 2010

why aren't you expecting much from it? Not liking what you are seeing so far or just not a Star Wars or Bioware fan?
    Proud Jamaican and Japan Enthusiast
    www.Jamaipanese.com
    Jamaica + Japan

No I'm a huge Star Wars fan but one thing for at least for me in an RPG is for the story per say and there is nothing new to us cast wise about SW we know about the abilites for the Jedi and Sith one of the things that was always nice about an RPG is to level up and learn a new skill but as stated anyone who follows the SW universe know of the abilities of the force for both Jedi and Sith in case of the other classes like the Bounty Hunter and the Troopers their abilities are going to range from different types of shots from their guns then probably things like grenades like Halo with plasma grenades different from concussion, smoke etc....