Thread: Decreasing you Ping Time?

Default Decreasing you Ping Time?

Although i have doubts about this it's dosen't hurt to ask... Is there any way to decrease my ping time??? I was playing Xeno... in UT2k3 a few minutes ago, and the ping time was messing me up big time... I'm on C&W with a 56k and he has ADSL, I though C&W would just route the packets locally instead of leaving there network...

What should I do?:-[

Default Re:Decreasing you Ping Time?

[quote author=Ropy link=board=11;threadid=737;start=0#msg5593 date=1053144774]
    I was playing Xeno... in UT2k3 a few minutes ago, and the ping time was messing me up big time... [/quote]

- Translation -
    I was playing Xeno... in UT2k3 a few minutes ago, and got my a** kicked so badly it was hard to believe... it's gotta be the ping..

;D

Yo... i wasn't there so I don't know, I'm just messing wit ya...

Unfortunately I don't think there's a way you can do that.. but I'll scour the boards and pages of some UT junkies and see if there's a way to do it...

It would be good if someone took some screenshots of the action and sent em to me... we could post em online.

there are a few ways. okay....lets look at ping first.
    ping as we all know is the legth of time for the info to travel from our comp to the server. each roun trip is weighed by the amount of info.
    so really the less info we send or recieve then the better our ping. web sites relating to the game will give you loads of optimisations for doing this.
    here is some we use.
    lower the graphic resolution. eg.
    1. lower from 1024x768 to 800x600 or even 640x480 in the game and on the screen.
    2. lower you grahic texture details.
    3. lower you sound settings..like turning off 3d sound etc.
    4. switch off things like decals on the wall etc.
    5. switch off id of player.
    now you have less info for the proc to worry about and transmit.
    these are just some.

on modem, switch off some of the settings like ip headers and so on to try and optimise the info pass thru.

also and this is quite good. in your system.ini file, you can optimise the modem port by including a line stating the buffer size. trying to remember exactly how we write it....sumin like port 4 = 8192. check around for the correct syntax for it.
    some games like quake3 only use 4k or 8k packets for each transmission. so check which one your game uses. normally you find these on the faqs of the game sites dedicated to your game.
    once you have mastered these then go to on to looking at things like the config file in the games. this is where the prof gamers really make some changes and kick *** by running rings round us. sometimes they post them on game clan sites.
    finally....look at things like packets etc in the game it self or find the console commands and play with em. :P
    hope this helps.
    ;D

Thanks for the info. deakie. But don't the packet header contains info about the packet structure and how to reconstruct it etc... Not gonna mess with that one ;D

Default Re:Decreasing your Ping Time?

I found this awhile ago, hopefully it can help others who also experience high pings http://www.ozforums.com/showthread.p...threadid=46087

Nastrodamus is upset that you did not invite him to beat you too....

Ah well, I gues you guys were ready to face me yet.

Nastro. u Lie, u run, uno ask Xeno. ;D Chicken!!! :P
    Most definitely I got my but kick, any gamer should know that low ping time (latency) affects the outcome of FPA games... But anyway we need to have another cause I got some tips on how to lower my ping time. Hopefully this Sunday, R E V E N G E is going to be sweet... I hope more of us turn out ;D cause the more the merrier...

kool

k...

i got a site here.. gives you all kinds o tweaks

http://www.tweak3d.net/autoexec/halflife/ (this one's an HL tweak of course ;D)

lataz

Just look at these Ping Time "1" can u believe it, noting done to the modem... We need to have the Lan party in the day...