Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Desktop Or Laptop

Default Desktop Or Laptop

Based on the fact that JPS is affecting everyones life including mines (in jamiaca) would you say its better to use a laptop than a desktop, bearing in mind that a laptop(i think) uses less power( adaptor- stepdown voltage) than a Desktop( 500w or larger psu)
    _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _______ _ _ _
    *Intelligent people can take hints
    Preferred Phone OS: Android

Get a UPS, computers are being made Greener, especially laptops.
    |--- www.RealJamaicaEstate.com ™ ---|
    Invest small = small returns [micro enterprise] | Invest Big = returns Big [macro enterprise]
    --- www.fashionsJAMAICA.com ™ -|- www.ChampsJamaica.com

Did my own lil research stil, so i soon sell my desktop

http://www.eu-energystar.org/en/en_022p.shtml

laptop is a must for me and a wifi router connected to a cable/ADSL modem all on a decent sized UPS

Good find to share .... nevintech.
    |--- www.RealJamaicaEstate.com ™ ---|
    Invest small = small returns [micro enterprise] | Invest Big = returns Big [macro enterprise]
    --- www.fashionsJAMAICA.com ™ -|- www.ChampsJamaica.com

I still have concerns over durability and replacement of parts. A desktop motherboard will run about 6g's whilst the board for a laptop can be as much as 20g's depending on your model etc. Lappy keyboards tend to be more delicate and won't stand up to the consistent banging of some users. Replacing those is thousands whilst replacing a desktop keyboard (which probably won't break anyway) is about 500.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomSunny View Post
    I still have concerns over durability and replacement of parts. A desktop motherboard will run about 6g's whilst the board for a laptop can be as much as 20g's depending on your model etc. Lappy keyboards tend to be more delicate and won't stand up to the consistent banging of some users. Replacing those is thousands whilst replacing a desktop keyboard (which probably won't break anyway) is about 500.
    It all depends on what you looking for, as portability is almost priceless, I have a laptop on my desk at work and carry it home when necessary, but you have a point with durability, I have a Thinkpad and its pretty tough.

Well mi Say laptop still cause im always on the the go. but its good to have a desktop at home still.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomSunny View Post
    ans for the keyboard, just plug in a usb reg size keyboard, "when at home" an take care of u tings and it wil last,power savings outweigh the price of the board so is stil a win win situation

Quote Originally Posted by nevintech View Post
    Based on the fact that JPS is affecting everyones life including mines (in jamiaca) would you say its better to use a laptop than a desktop, bearing in mind that a laptop(i think) uses less power( adaptor- stepdown voltage) than a Desktop( 500w or larger psu)
    I don't think your decision on whether to buy a desktop or a laptop should necessarily be influenced solely by power cost. What do you generally use a computer for? There are any number of ways of looking at this.

Here is a scenario. Suppose you work from home and always have your computer on doing email, using the web, and doing general word processing and basic tasks like those. In this scenario, you may be able to conserve power by getting a laptop, perhaps even a netbook. It would take less power to keep a laptop on all day than it would to keep a desktop computer and monitor running.

But here is another scenario. Suppose you only use your computer for an hour or two after work in the evenings. Why buy a laptop when the power savings may be very minimal since you're not a heavy desktop user?

Personally, I live on laptops - I have two. So I would not discourage anyone from getting one. The portability and convenience are great. And even if you have demanding processing needs, you can find a laptop to meets your needs. As for durability, I bought my Powerbook second hand, and have had it for 4 years.

However, here is another scenario. Suppose you live alone and the only appliances that are always plugged in are your energy efficient refrigerator and your Flow modem and wireless router. You have two laptops but they are never both plugged in at the same time, and only when the batteries need charging. You are never home in the days, and often just sleep for the few hours you are home. At the end of the month, your JPS bill is $5000. How can you reduce your electricity usage and save money? If you come up with anything let me know, I'm still trying to figure that one out!

The bottom line is, you can't beat an in-transparent monopoly whom the government allows to rob people blind. Consider your needs and forget JPS.
    Last edited by nder; Dec 2, 2008 at 02:53 PM.
    The answer you seek is *+5,2*3,2
    Check out my blog: http://rants.andreobrown.com