Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Desktop Or Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by nder View Post
    I don't think your decision on whether to buy a desktop or a laptop should necessarily be influenced solely by power cost. What do you generally use a computer for? There are any number of ways of looking at this.

Here is a scenario. Suppose you work from home and always have your computer on doing email, using the web, and doing general word processing and basic tasks like those. In this scenario, you may be able to conserve power by getting a laptop, perhaps even a netbook. It would take less power to keep a laptop on all day than it would to keep a desktop computer and monitor running.

But here is another scenario. Suppose you only use your computer for an hour or two after work in the evenings. Why buy a laptop when the power savings may be very minimal since you're not a heavy desktop user?

Personally, I live on laptops - I have two. So I would not discourage anyone from getting one. The portability and convenience are great. And even if you have demanding processing needs, you can find a laptop to meets your needs. As for durability, I bought my Powerbook second hand, and have had it for 4 years.

However, here is another scenario. Suppose you live alone and the only appliances that are always plugged in are your energy efficient refrigerator and your Flow modem and wireless router. You have two laptops but they are never both plugged in at the same time, and only when the batteries need charging. You are never home in the days, and often just sleep for the few hours you are home. At the end of the month, your JPS bill is $5000. How can you reduce your electricity usage and save money? If you come up with anything let me know, I'm still trying to figure that one out!

The bottom line is, you can't beat an in-transparent monopoly whom the government allows to rob people blind. Consider your needs and forget JPS.
    ...So why not have both??? Why not purcahse one of the cheaper laptops that has a good battery and a good enough desktop also??? You'll be able to save power when you want to and when you "don't want to."
    unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; unmount; sleep" - my daily unix command list?
    Zeng

i prefer the desktop over a laptop. But in terms of which would use the most electricity i believe it would be the desktop.

laptop to di worl'...
    literally....

the mobility can't be beat...
    shoot....
    I'm in my bed right now....

well i'd say a laptop
    Phone:Blackberry 8310
    O.S:v4.5.0.124 PIN: 251F3E9E
    Network: Digicel
    Number:18764**4212

wel i love laptps, d only reason y i dnt hav 1 now is caused i destroyed ma old dell, (wanted a new 1) (hopefully mi soon get dat) neways as a mis student, i tink a laptop comes in very handy, basically i spend most of ma time at skool , by d time iam home its almost bed time, wen i had ma laptop ma desktop hardly got used, jus came in plugged in ma ethernet card in ma laptop n call it a night, it evn eliminated sum of d stress of havin a flash drive n forgettin it, cuz i did all ma work on ma laptop n if i reach skool n d computer lap full all i did was do ma work on ma laptop, nd der is wifi near by skool so i wud say laptop all d way.

i guess they both have advantages and disadvantages, so its good to have a balance

once u have a ups u good to go with a desktop

i am sticking to my laptop
    HP Pavillion DV6725us Core 2 duo Tl-60 (2.0ghz), 160GB SATA HD, 2GB DDR2 NVIDIA GeForce Go 7100, Double Layer DVD+/-RW with lightscribe, 15.5" LCD

been running a laptop for the past 4 years.. the only issue is when am converting a AVI to say DVD, i'll just put a fan on it
    _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _______ _ _ _
    *Intelligent people can take hints
    Preferred Phone OS: Android