Thread: What to attach one exe to a word document or picture file

Default What to attach one exe to a word document or picture file

i want to know how to attach an exe to a word document or a picture file in c programming.

i would also like know to browse to the path startmenu directory.

in c programming.

Quote Originally Posted by Dj Still View Post
    i want to know how to attach an exe to a word document or a picture file in c programming.

in c programming.
    I'm not following exactly what you want to do.

If it is what I think, then I do not know the answer but I can point you where to look.

If it is how to "launch explorer showing the start menu" eg explorer opens with 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu' then search
    1) how to 'launch a process' in C++
    2) 'Special Folders'
    Post you findings here

If it is to enumerate (list) the file and folders in the above directory then search
    1) 'Special folders'
    2) Listing files in a directory.

It is a while that I have looked on C++ libraries so I have not a ready answer.

When you get your answer, continue to look through the libraries available on you IDE/Compiler, like Standard C++ Library, just see all that is there and what they are used for.

PS. Documentation on this is well done on the MSDN site. I think there is a slight difference with the MS version of the Standard C++ Library because they use MS specific directives, etc. but the function definitions are still standard (below are the C and C++ libraries for MS C++, try the bottom C++ library and let me know if any progress made).
    Run-Time Routines by Category
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2aza74he.aspx
    Standard C++ Library Overview
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ct1as7hw.aspx
    Let's act on what we agree on now, and argue later on what we don't.
    Black men leave Barbeque alone if Barbeque don't trouble you

hey, thank its was a bit helpful.

specifically i wrote a program in c and i want to attach the exe to the calculator in windows. so that when the calculator is open my program will also execute.

also i wrote another program i want to copy to the startup directory at windows startup.

hey, thank its was a bit helpful.

specifically i wrote a program in c and i want to attach the exe to the calculator in windows. so that when the calculator is open my program will also execute.

also i wrote another program i want to copy to the startup directory at windows startup.
    Step 1
    Well the cal program is commonly launched from a shortcut. Also it is launched from the start->run menu

You can tackle the short cut approach by replacing it with
    1) a short cut to a bat file that opens your app and the calc app
    2) a short cut to a 3rd exe that opens your app and the calc app (unnecessary work)

Step 2

It is possible to create a short cut with the a shell function. I have done this in C# by adding a shell dll to the app but it requires that dll to exist on the OS, thus some sort of installation would be necessary on Windows (XP) machines without that outdated shell dll

Another method to create a short cut is to use VS IDE to create a setup intallation for your app. You could configure all of this into the installation using the same bat file or 3rd exe. You would need VS of course and knowledge of the proceedure of creating installations

End

It can be done in straight C by hand coding it out. ie you would write you own installation app that would copy 1st exe, short cut, and bat file

in c programming.
    Writing a virus or something semi-malicious????

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frost View Post
    Writing a virus or something semi-malicious????
    I was thinking that when I first read what he wanted to do. Hooking to an exe to launch yourself when it launches doesn't sound too boasty from a security standpoint.

This is the reason we should all be cautious of the software we download and run.