Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does it make sense to buy any antivirus?

Angry Does it make sense to buy any antivirus?

I have come to believe that all antivirus programs are crap. I had reason to believe that my system was infected, even though I am running zone alarm, I updated and ran two scans with zone alarm, on each scan, it found infections, on each scan it cleaned those infections. I then did three online scans, I did a panda online scan, it found around 14 infections, I did a symantec scan, it found only 2 infections, and I did a trend micro scan, it found around 12 infections.
    Does it make any flippin sense to buy any of these programs, because none of them can protect you fully.
    They are just a flipping waste of money
    Click the link if you would like to see a solution to the problems that face humanity; war, hunger, poverty and suffering, crime, inequality, control, corruption and all the other things that negatively affect our planet. www.thevenusproject.com and www.thezeitgeistmovement.com

Depends on what type of infections. Some of those so called infections could be just cookies from advertising sites.

That is why I wouldn't by an anti-virus because there is no 1 best. The free ones does as great a job as the paid ones. Just that you get support if a virus slips by and messes up your machine.

You're right though, no one anti-virus catches all the possible viruses. It just takes a little common sense to avoid viruses and you will realize you don't even need an anti-virus.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

digimon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Anaarki View Post
    I have come to believe that all antivirus programs are crap. I had reason to believe that my system was infected, even though I am running zone alarm, I updated and ran two scans with zone alarm, on each scan, it found infections, on each scan it cleaned those infections. I then did three online scans, I did a panda online scan, it found around 14 infections, I did a symantec scan, it found only 2 infections, and I did a trend micro scan, it found around 12 infections.
    Does it make any flippin sense to buy any of these programs, because none of them can protect you fully.
    They are just a flipping waste of money
    Anti viruses business thrive because people are not so educated on how virus spread. they do not take preventative measures to minimize risk of getting infected.

I only use zone alarm (not antivirus) but OS firewall to detect program's malicious activity.
    I also disable all autorun (thumbdrive, brontok anyone?)

so right now, i have no antivirus

Why not start a thread for all those who may not know right now i just use AVG i only open emails i am certain of i am sure there many more precautions so let us know even tho some may be debateable

Quote Originally Posted by digimon View Post
    Anti viruses business thrive because people are not so educated on how virus spread. they do not take preventative measures to minimize risk of getting infected.

I only use zone alarm (not antivirus) but OS firewall to detect program's malicious activity.
    I also disable all autorun (thumbdrive, brontok anyone?)

so right now, i have no antivirus
    yup he is correct but i use antivirus, firewalls and anti spyware basically my combination hasn't failed me yet, so i am good but the only reason why i keep my antivirus is because of the scanners if i am on a website and it picks up anything it alerts me, and even if a drive or optical disc is being auto run it detects it before it can be executed hence the reason why i love my Avast
    Email : malco1987@hotmail.com| LIME :342-9787 | DIGICEL : 406-4604

One Stop Software Downloads
    www.filehippo.com

Quote Originally Posted by malco1987 View Post
    yup he is correct but i use antivirus, firewalls and anti spyware basically my combination hasn't failed me yet, so i am good but the only reason why i keep my antivirus is because of the scanners if i am on a website and it picks up anything it alerts me, and even if a drive or optical disc is being auto run it detects it before it can be executed hence the reason why i love my Avast
    Malco I agree with you man as I have a similar combination of a Antivirus, Firewall and Spyware blocker and so far I have been safe. I know though that some viruses do slip by such as Antivirus Xp 2008 and you wonder what is the purpose of even having an Antivirus but guess what? Would you sleep with a girl you just met the first time without a condom? It is the same principle as some protection is better than no protection.
    Ricardo Barrett
    Jesus+Education=Success
    BBM ME @ 7A70FCE3
    Whatsapp 1(876) 783-8991

Quote Originally Posted by barrettrs View Post
    Would you sleep with a girl you just met the first time without a condom? It is the same principle as some protection is better than no protection.
    I couldn't of said it better myself
    Email : malco1987@hotmail.com| LIME :342-9787 | DIGICEL : 406-4604

One Stop Software Downloads
    www.filehippo.com

It makes all the sense in the world to buy antivirus software.

If they (the manufacturer) gives free upgrades to you, your children, grandchildren, greatgrandchildren and so on until the end of the world.
    The fox was probably right - they could have been sour grapes.

fire21 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCat View Post
    It makes all the sense in the world to buy antivirus software.

If they (the manufacturer) gives free upgrades to you, your children, grandchildren, greatgrandchildren and so on until the end of the world.
    I like this one- I think its still good to have a antivirus, but i think the free ones still work good as the paid ones.

well the way i see it..is thats its better to be safe that sorry,then again if you dnt have an anti-virus running,you better have a darn good anti-spyware programme..