Thread: Networking Question

Default Networking Question

I have an ADSL connection at work and I am contemplating getting one at home. In the event that do get this ADSL connection (with CWJ) at home, is it possible to add my home machine as a part of the network at work?

How can it be done and what will i need?

Default Re:Networking Question

What exactly are you planing to do?

Out of all the other possiblilties, creating a VPN (Virtural Private Network) is the best route to take. Since you are using win2k you alread have the necessary softwares installed...

1. Between your home machine and your work server, to share your resources across the entire network.
    2. Between you home machine and your work station, in this case only you can will have assess to your home files.

Here is a tutorial on how to setup a Dial-up VPN, going through the tutotial you'll see where to configure it for a BroadBand VPN... http://www2.biostat.wustl.edu/software/pptp/win2k.pdf

Default Re:Networking Question

also, you can use a peice of software called remote administrator.
    this will enable you to connect to your pc at home like its the one you are using at work. the remote desktop becomes your active desktop and you see your machine as if you are at home.you can configure the port as you like in case there are firewall probs etc and it offers nt security settings.
    its also the fastest out there but the colours are restricted to 64k. still, you aint looking to do gaming are you.... 8)