View Poll Results: Will you switch to Claro Jamaica?

Voters
320. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yell yea!!!!.....my digicel and bmobile already in da drain

104 32.50%
  • Mayb just waiting to see what they are coming with

216 67.50%
Page 366 of 367 FirstFirst ... 266316356364365366367 LastLast
Results 3,651 to 3,660 of 3670

Thread: Official Claro 3G Thread

I wish I was getting those speeds from LIME.I am situated in the D.Park area and the speed has been very slow since lately.
    Four Technologies for Faster Broadband in 2011

By Mikael Ricknäs, IDG News

A number of different technologies are being developed or improved to offer higher speeds for fixed and mobile broadband networks, as operators are preparing to compete with each other and carry video traffic in 3D and at higher resolutions, which is expected to happen in the coming year.
    Similar Articles:
    CSL Users Get Best of Both Worlds With LTE and HSPA
    Verizon LTE vs. The Rest: 4G Smackdown
    Verizon Speeds up FiOS to 150M Bps
    Vendors Closing in on 1G Bps Using DSL
    500M Bps Soon in a Copper Line Near You, Ericsson Says
    4G Turning Into 'Meaningless' Moniker

Broadband speeds have arrived at the point where increasing them is a challenge for most types of fixed and mobile networks as providers move toward offering 3D and other more advanced services. However, there are things that network providers can do, such as merging several links into one connection in both copper and mobile broadband networks.

But broadband speed isn't just about the connections in the "last mile." Equipment that connects users to a network, for example, mobile base stations, also needs to be able to keep up and not become a bottle neck. And raw capacity isn't the only way to increase speed -- content delivery networks, which push content closer to the user so it can be obtained more quickly, will become more widely used, according to Ericsson.

In addition to those advances, these are four network technologies that are likely to become more important in 2011:

10G GPON

The use of PON (passive optical network) technology in fixed broadband networks has grown in popularity in the last couple of years, thanks to lower costs compared to using an optical fiber for each household. The technology calls for several households to share the same capacity, which is sent over a single optical fiber.

Today's systems have an aggregate download capacity of 2.5G bps (bits per second). The move to 10G GPON increases that by a factor of four, hence the name. The technology is also capable of an upstream capacity of 10G bps, which is eight times faster than current networks, according to Verizon Communications.

The increased capacity can either be used to handle more users or increase the bandwidth.

In December 2009, Verizon announced that it had conducted the first field-test for the technology. Since then, a number of operators have conducted tests, including France Telecom, Telecom Italia, Telefonica, Portugal Telecom, China Mobile and China Unicom, according to Huawei.

The first commercial services based on 10G GPON are expected in the second half 2011, according to Alcatel-Lucent. Pioneering operator Verizon hasn't announced any commercial plans yet, according to a spokesman.

Besides broadband, the technology is also being pitched for mobile backhaul use.

VDSL2

The DSL family of technologies still dominates the fixed broadband world. To ensure that operators can continue to use their copper networks, network equipment vendors are adding some new technologies to VDSL2 to increase download speeds to several hundred megabits per second

To boost DSL to those kinds of speeds, the vendors are using a number of technologies. One way is to send traffic over several copper pairs at the same time, compared to traditional DSL, which only uses one copper pair. This method then uses a technology -- called DSL Phantom Mode by Alcatel-Lucent and Phantom DSL by Nokia Siemens -- that can create a third virtual copper pair that sends data over a combination of two physical pairs.

However, the use of these technologies also creates crosstalk, a form of noise that degrades signal quality and decreases bandwidth. To counteract that, vendors are using a noise-canceling technology called vectoring. It works the same way as noise-canceling headphones, continuously analyzing the noise conditions on the copper cables, and then creates a new signal to cancel it out, according to Alcatel-Lucent.

Products are now entering field trials and the first commercial services are expected to be launched in 2011.

Just like 10G GPON, it is also being pitched as an alternative for mobile backhaul.

LTE

Therollout of LTE (Long Term Evolution) is now under way in Europe, Asia and the U.S., and by the end of 2011 about 50 LTE commercial networks will have launched, according to an October report from the Global Mobile Suppliers Association (GSA) detailing current operator launch plans.

The first round of LTE services, with the exception of MetroPCS and its Samsung Craft phone, connects users with USB modems. That will change in 2011 with the arrival of LTE capable smartphones and tablets. Verizon Wireless expects such handsets will be available by mid-2011, according to a statement.

The bandwidth and coverage operators can offer depends on their spectrum holdings.

LTE isn't just about offering higher speeds to metropolitan areas. In Germany, the government has mandated that the mobile operators first use the technology to offer broadband to rural areas.

Besides higher speeds LTE also offers lower latencies, which will help the performance of real-time applications sensitive to delays, including VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) video streaming, video conferencing and gaming, to perform better.

The rollout of isn't going to happen overnight, even for those operators that have are now launching services. By 2013, Verizon plans to cover its entire 3G network with LTE. Telenor in Sweden also plans to have its network upgrade complete by 2013, according to a statement.

HSPA+

LTE may be getting most of the attention, but 2010 has been a banner year for HSPA+ (High-Speed Packet Access). Migration to HSPA+ has been a major trend this year and more than one in five HSPA operators have commercially launched HSPA+ networks, according to the GSA.

However, today's download speeds of up to 21M bps is far from the end of the line for HSPA+. Nine operators -- including Bell Mobility in Canada and Telstra in Australia -- have already launched services at 42M bps. The average real-world download speed is 7M bps to 14M bps, according to Bell.

To get to that speed, operators use a technology called DC-HSPA+ (Dual-Channel High-Speed Packet Access), which sends data using two channels at the same time.

More than 30 DC-HSPA+ (42M bps) network deployments are on-going or committed to, including T-Mobile in the U.S. It will launch services next year, but isn't ready give any additional details on timing, according to a spokeswoman.

Also, five operators have already committed to 84M bps, which is the next evolution step for their HSPA+ networks, the first of which is also expected to arrive next year.

Send news tips and comments to mikael_ricknas@idg.com

HSPA+ 84Mbps really exist that is truly amazing.
    Last edited by dehyah; Dec 7, 2010 at 10:23 PM.

this is what im getting from claro and compared to what some other people are getting do you think this is a good enough speed. Im living up in the hills and the tower isnt that far away but my house is situated between two hills so what you think about my speeds

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.dre View Post

this is what im getting from claro and compared to what some other people are getting do you think this is a good enough speed. Im living up in the hills and the tower isnt that far away but my house is situated between two hills so what you think about my speeds
    it's good, better upload than LIME though. Not really better than DIGICEL 4G.
    LiVE LiFE..LeVeL Di ViBEZ.....use to own a mobile site called McNAllySiTE... Google Advocate
    Current System:
    Win10 Pro, Reaper, Reason, Pro Tools, FL Studio
    Network: T-Mobile & Sprint 4G LTE; Current Devices: iPhone 8 Plus, iPad Pro 10.5
    I manage: HitzConnect Radio follow me, twitter: @ram130

yea it might not be better than digi 4G for streaming but from what ive been hearing bout the torrenting issue the 200+ Kb/s i get on torrents seem like a winner

well these are far better days compared to lime 128k back in the days
    _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _______ _ _ _
    *Intelligent people can take hints
    Preferred Phone OS: Android

just want to share what consistent, high speeds i've been getting with claro 3g. Patiently waiting on cable/adsl service to touch these rural parts but till then this is very helpful despite some of the experiences others have posted.

Quote Originally Posted by yeayea View Post

just want to share what consistent, high speeds i've been getting with claro 3g. Patiently waiting on cable/adsl service to touch these rural parts but till then this is very helpful despite some of the experiences others have posted.
    really good for 3G..a wah u a download so? lol ..I need to test Verizon 3G and see weh mi get...see if the most expensive reliable network really live up to it's name..dwl

mi fraid a digicel edge lol
    LiVE LiFE..LeVeL Di ViBEZ.....use to own a mobile site called McNAllySiTE... Google Advocate
    Current System:
    Network: T-Mobile & Sprint 4G LTE; Current Devices: iPhone 8 Plus, iPad Pro 10.5

@ram130 lol we know the answer to the download question...lol

So I did a test in New Kingston too with my Captivate and I consistently got over 1MB...not too bad.
    Lover of Technology, period!!||Currently loaded: Samsung Galaxy Note 10+

Quote Originally Posted by Technoboy View Post
    @ram130 lol we know the answer to the download question...lol

So I did a test in New Kingston too with my Captivate and I consistently got over 1MB...not too bad.
    Lol yep..not bad ..anything over a 1mb good ..on verizon I got 2mb and t-mobile I got 6mb..I say claro got sum upgrading to do lol ..I see y digicel skip 3g..but jahkno no 4g phone either ..
    Current System:

My friend in Zaidie Gardens is getting little over 2 Mbps from LIME'S 3G dongle.I got 50 KBps (400 kbps) at that location using my Nokia N85-3.In Duhaney Park LIME'S 3G signal is weak but CLARO is showing 7 bars signal strength on my Nokia.
    Last edited by dehyah; Feb 5, 2011 at 11:44 PM.