Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Codecs, Filters & File Formats

MhadbwoY - I feel sorry for you. The problem was that his card does not support H264 decoding of 1080p profile videos. His card might be able to handle 720p since it's a VP1 capable card, but that's about it.

So to re-enforce the fact - nVidia G80 cards cannot decode 1080 H264 video files. nVidia kinda screwed the naming convention and threw a lot of people off. You can read more on the WIKIPEDIA ARTICLE on the subject.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Very Disappointing... thats all i can say
    ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe MBoard | AMD Phenom II x4 920 | ZALMAN 9700 CPU Cooler | G-SKILL 4GB DDR 800 Dual Channel Memory | WD 250GB & 320GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache SATA HDDs | XFX 5870 1GB | Corsair 650W Single Rail PSU | Samsung SATA DVD-RW | Samsung T260 26" Monitor | MITSUMI Floppy Drive w/ Digital Card Readers | Thermaltake Armor+ FULL Tower Case

Really nice thread learned some new stuff, I got hardware acceleration working and it reduced the cpu usage from 20% to 1% when playing h264 720p files.

One problem though I cant seem to get subtitles to work in accelerated mode. DirectVobSub filter does not work in this mode, khat17 any help to resolve this issue?

As soon as iposted i found a solution:

No intermediate filters means that DirectVobSub should not be used for displaying subtitles. You should enable the internal subtitle filter of MPC (Options -> Playback -> enable "Autoload subtitles") if you want to be able to view subtitles. Don't forget to select a video renderer that is compatible with the internal subtitle filter, for example VMR-9 (renderless) or EVR Custom Presenter.
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Apr 25, 2013 at 01:59 PM. Reason: merged multiple posts

k lite codec pac is the best i have seen so far it never fails me

To each his own. I wont even bother asking if you've read the whole thread. I know my posts are long, but regardless of what proof I may have it's still your choice - and you choose k-lite.

Note to everyone - I'm done flogging this horse. If anyone else posts anything about any of the different codec packs that I've tested - including K-Lite, All in One, Cole2K, Nimo, ACE, Codec 7.8h, The Codecs, Microsoft's Windows Media Codecs, and the mainstream codecs (individual install of DivX, Xvid, X264 etc.) - I have nothing more to say. Seriously.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

*BUMP*

Quote Originally Posted by Nestersan View Post
    1.14% there abouts. Disabled everything and left the ATi Encoder thingy in place..
    4850 512 MB
    Explain this for me please NESTER. You managed to get H264 hardware acceleration working with some ATI software? Screenshots and such would be nice to add to the tutorial.

*BUMP*

anyone running on ATI Hardware wants to help KHAT17 with his request?

LOLERS ATI 9.3 has Fixed DXVA, wh00t. Back in the saddle again.
    Let Them Hate, So Long As They Fear.
    You do not know whereof you speak,and your words are empty things.
    Listen and gain Wisdom.

http://twitter.com/nestersan

Just so everyone knows, the testing works. Here's some additional info with a quote from the CCCP IRC:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Acceleration_API

<Dark_Shikari> You have three options for hardware acceleration:
    <Dark_Shikari> 1) DXVA
    <Dark_Shikari> 2) CoreAVC
    <Dark_Shikari> 3) VAAPI/VDPAU with mplayer
    And also from the CCCP IRC, I managed to get some help.

<edogawaconan> khat: yes it works
    <edogawaconan> 1080p @ 10% on pentium d 930
    <edogawaconan> it was ~20% with coreavc
    <edogawaconan> 20~50
    <edogawaconan> vga is radeon hd 4650
    So we know - the ATI HD cards work with H264 decoding WITHOUT the use of AVIVO.

So to recap. In Windows you don't need codecs for playback, just filter packs.

For Windows -> CCCP - SATSUKI - DEFILTER.
    *!!!NEW!!!* For Linux -> MPLAYER

For standalone players, the choice is yours:
    KMPLAYER
    MPLAYER
    VLC
    etc......

For the stubborn rear parts of a donkey who think that KLITE and other such crap are the Holy Grail - you can use what you want. I don't care. After you fudge it up, you can come crying to the thread. It will be here as a reminder and a reference. And you can also read the CCCP FAQ/Wiki.

http://www.cccp-project.net/wiki/index.php?title=FAQ

For hardware decoding - specifically of H264 streams - the two major card manufacturers support this - nVidia/ATI - and can be done for FREE using MPC-HC which is bundled with CCCP. If your card does not support it, you can use the software decoding which is available in CCCP (FFDSHOW).

Tests have been done using both cards to show that CPU usage is significantly reduced when hardware decoding is used, and with ATI the AVIVO software is not needed.

For general playback, if you are using the standalone players or the filters - for the older formats, you may need to install QUICKTIME ALTERNATIVE and/or REAL ALTERNATIVE in order to enable playback of just about all video.

If you do video editing, you may need to install a codec, and with CCCP you will only need to install the codec for the format(s) you encode to, as CCCP will allow you to decode all other formats supported by your editor.

That's the meat of the matter, and the final statements. Paid solutions for hardware decoding such as CoreAVC - DivX - PowerDVD - are not included, and other paid solutions for software decoding are left out. The thread is left open for discussion. But all the results are in. Thank you for the assistance thus far - and thank you for spending the time to read and learn a little more.
    Last edited by khat17; Sep 18, 2009 at 03:10 PM.

Updating to state that CCCP development is going slowly in comparison to Satsuki so at this point I would recommend Satsuki over CCCP - plus the the updated FFDSHOW in Satsuki has more features.