Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Windows Live Messenger Beta Released!

Found a free app called REVO UNINSTALLER which has a mode where you can drag a target onto any application or shortcut and it will remove it and any trace of it from your system. Currently battling with the "cannot sign in" issue with error "8000ffff" on a laptop - after running REVO and CCLEANER I'm gonna do a reboot and try to reinstall and see what happens.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Found a free app called REVO UNINSTALLER which has a mode where you can drag a target onto any application or shortcut and it will remove it and any trace of it from your system. Currently battling with the "cannot sign in" issue with error "8000ffff" on a laptop - after running REVO and CCLEANER I'm gonna do a reboot and try to reinstall and see what happens.
    There are 2 sign in issues that the WLM team posted about:
    Notice: Sign-in problems for beta users that block a group
    Workaround for Error 810003c1 while signing into Messenger

They are not the exact error you are having, but just thought I would throw this info your way, just in case.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Some research has found that you can download and install the individual components of WLM - and that not installing the CONTACTS.MSI along with MESSENGER.MSI will probably result in the 8000ffff sign-in error. If you downloaded the big 100+Mb file, then use that - if you used it and it's still giving you trouble, look for CONTACTS.MSI on your drive in the PROGRAM FILES folder. Install it and try again. So here's the drill - uninstall your current installation, using the manual method or REVO, then download the FULL 100+Mb file and install that, removing the options you don't need. The program should install all the supported files necessary for you to get online. Post your results after.

Note the stuff listed. According to posts online, it would seem that the CONTACTS.MSI did not install in some cases, and you need to set it up manually. So either do that or what I have above. Would love for SK@TTA to try it and post his results. Using the above method (full uninstall then reinstall using the big file) worked for me.

@ ARCH_ANGEL - Using this method also allowed the program to show up in the ADD/REMOVE list - so try not to download and install the MESSENGER.MSI file by itself.

See ->post I have outside of TJ<- for full info on my findings and whatnot.
    Last edited by khat17; Nov 8, 2008 at 01:10 AM.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".