Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem deleting an empty folder in Windows

Default Problem deleting an empty folder in Windows

I'm not sure yet whether this is a software or hardware problem. On my 200GB External HD I made a folder and now I want to delete it. The folder is empty, however the computer keeps telling me it isn't and therefore it won't delete the folder. I booted into safe mode and it wouldn't delete it at all. Anyone have any ideas.

Here is a screenshot of me in safe mode in the cmd with it telling me I can't delete the folder

"And what's the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge"

"SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION" is normal to have access denied. For your needs in deleting the folder - it seems that something is hooking it.

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Get that free app and try to use it to delete your problem folder. Post your results.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

I tried this, but everytime I right-click the folder in explorer explorer crashes... is there a way to do it in the cmd prompt?
    "And what's the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge"

leave it alone, it cant be deleted
    Dude, Aren't the "good things that come to those who wait" just the leftovers from the people who got them first.

i sometimes have that problem as well with pesky files or folders and i use tuneup utilities which has a built in deletion tool its not free but you can download the trial version here and use it for 30 days

http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities/
    MATADOR: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R, C2Q Q9400 @ 3.4GHz, ZALMAN CNPS9500, 6GB GSkill, Crucial C300 SSD 128GB, 2x 2TB WD Caviar Black, Diamond HD5850, 2x Plextor DVD+RW, RAIDMAX Scoprio 668WBP Case, Rosewill Xtreme Series RX850-D-B 850W, Dell E228FP WideScreen 22", Logitech Z-2300, Windows 7 Pro x64

Hmmm, wonder if it's a case where the folder is not deleting any at all or it replicates itself immediately after deletion?
    Shhhh!I see dead people!

Have you tried killing explorer.exe entering cmd and then trying to delete the folder

PS keep task manager up
    Email : malco1987@hotmail.com| LIME :342-9787 | DIGICEL : 406-4604

One Stop Software Downloads
    www.filehippo.com

have you tried doing it in safe mode....

Try another machine with a strong antiviral app, and XP Pro cabilities particulaly in handling security on ntfs files

Try deleting the folder there.

If that does not work then do a chkdsk D: /R /X on the drive where D: is drive. Try deleting again.

I say strong antiviral app because your externl drive can act as a carrier of a virus

I say handling NTFS security because 'Anime' can have read access but not write access but likely hidden files are present.

Explorer crashes... If you are using XP and explorer crashes without saying some for of io error exists then this strongly suggests that explorer has been compromised ... ie windows files that handle file security especially for the "System user" is dirtied somewhat

If you want to delete System volume Information, then first turn off system restore on the drive. Then manipulate the security setting on the folder. Then delete. More details can be requested or found on the web, but you must be able to see the file security settings native to NTFS files. XP Pro can do this, if not then the OS is compromised.
    Let's act on what we agree on now, and argue later on what we don't.
    Black men leave Barbeque alone if Barbeque don't trouble you

i've had that problem. sometimes it fixes itself, after restarting, sometimes i leave alone n then a nex few days it delete.........
    Back to square one....., back off the ground now........