Page 4 of 86 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: PS3, dissecting the fail cake.

y is it that some games need to be installed on the ps3 for u to play them? what advantages does it bring because i dont see much difference in loadin time compared to the 360
    ChAos AnD cOnfLicT ArE mY ParEntS

I think is cause the blu-ray drive slow that there is an install period. It makes load times faster, sometimes faster than the 360.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/profil...9&user=skektek

Bluray at 2x is slower but holds more data? Strange... welll... it works so whatever

Lolers

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/08/08/ca...nes-same-as-p/

http://www.theprodukkt.com/kkrieger

interesting game, 96K 3d game

Also

A picture says a thousand words. Xbox fans looking to upgrade to a real next-gen system can look no further than their local Best Buy or Amazon.com in order to pick up the heavily coveted MGS4 bundles. Heavy Rain adds yet another PS3 exclusive title that is impossible on the vastly inferior Xbox 360.
    LoL... just to piss off some xbots. Graphics like that is all 360 good for
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

Quote Originally Posted by crosswire View Post
    By the way, it takes a bit more than threading skills to work with cell. I cant explain that any better. Without the right tools you have to battle and hand write unessary code.

@Peez, what part?

Dude, I understand exactly what you are saying, but the problem is the PS3 was designed backwards. M$ went to developers and said what you need in hardware to make games rock. Sony designed a chip designed to do calculations, kinda like CUDA, then gave it to the software guys and tell them work with it.

So Cell calculates phsyics, AI, everything flawlessly, but cannot output it to screen, cause it is not as good as a general purpose GPU (pretty much why CPU's cannot be video cards).

Imagine the PS3 to be a PC.

When you get home and realise even though you have 15 Quadcore CPU and Rambus UFO tech memory, you have to output through a onboard video card.

THAT is exactly what $ony found out, which is why the got the RSX from Nvidia at the last minute. Only prob is the RSX is old and kinda sucky.

We have stated in many posts and threads how the PS3 is not a system for baby programmers to use to learn on. It is a big man system for big men to code.

However 3rd party developers need money and profit, all they care about is the fact that it is problematic, and needs more resources.

It is actually a vicious circle, cause when the games suck, the public will not buy them. This decreases $ony's market share and decreases developer profit, which makes them not want to spend money on the PS3....

Oh life...

@Semi..unless is a developer telling me that I am ignoring it. BTW that game Heavy Rain, is not a standard game, it is basically a QTE only game. You press buttons when they prompt on the screen. Like the fatalities in GOW.

Yes, I can see where they spent all the measly CPU time on graphics, so cannot do AI, or anything else that a real game will require.
    Let Them Hate, So Long As They Fear.
    You do not know whereof you speak,and your words are empty things.
    Listen and gain Wisdom.

http://twitter.com/nestersan

why didnt u find the same screen for both consoles instead of a diff pic???
    that pic does look like she has veins in her face all over but i think thats how its supposed to look aint it?? Find the same pic for the 360 then we will say sumn...
    If You Talk About That Of Whom In Which We Do Not Speak,Have We Not Spoken Of That Of Which We Do Not Talk??

Soon Drop:P

Core i7 920
    GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R-SLI
    G.SKILL Trident 6GB DDR3 2000

Default Caution : Read post carefully

IBM gone past the original Cell long time....They will be on the 5th gen by the time the PS4 is out probably. The Cell is not optimally suited for the thing that it needs to do inside the PS3, which is render video games.
    Again, I never claimed cell to be a graphics processor. I was think more in the line of high floating point, vector computing which has a lot of use in gaming, simulation, and a few others aereas.

Cell is well designed for floating point and interger calculations*, yet it has some general purpose charateristics

The fundamental breaktru of the cell is the fine granularity and high speed that it can achieve in multithreading. I think multithreading is a poor description. (One has to see its design from a block level in order to understand it, because it just hard to describe.)

Basically, you have 3 types of processors.
    1) General cpus which are multicored, and run threads as you know them
    2) Cell which is multicored but is glued very tightly to achieve higher performance with more finely grained threads (*Cell also has a reduced instruction set that is used mostly in gaming. This can be change, but what is fundamental is how the cores intertwine)
    3) Specialized processors like graphics cards, that run a subset of operations with thousands of units that excecute mounds of operations in parallel. Units at each stage of the pipeline need not communicate with each other. It is like it streaming out caclations. There is less interaction between the thousands of units. When a graphics processor goes multicore, it is much of the same thing. Interaction is at the upper levels, eg splitting the input scene data to top screen and lower screen, but not between individual units. What has changed with graphics processor is that they are doing more of the graphics work (which is basically streaming calcultations) Cell is so fast that it can compete with a graphics card in doing some of the streaming however it is not a graphics card. I would put it in the category of 1) rather than 3)

For gaming you need 1) and 3) or 2) and 3)
    I see only 2) as being difficult in PS3 graphics to bring it to its max

Quote:
    Graphics processing is handled by the NVIDIA RSX 'Reality Synthesizer',

---http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#Hardware

You state that it is the most advanced for the amount of transistors..Sorta like how the Nvidia GTX280 have transistors to stone dog (1.4 Billion), and the Radeon 4870 has 500 million, almost a third less, but does as well or better in tests?
    Again I did not mean most advanced graphics processor I meant best category 1) and 2) processor use in gaming area.

IBM gone past the original Cell long time....They will be on the 5th gen by the time the PS4 is out probably. The Cell is not optimally suited for the thing that it needs to do inside the PS3, which is render video games.
    IBM developed cell from day 1 to be scallable. The cell used now in the faster supercomputer in the world is an enhanced version of the cell used in the PS3. It is IBM's current version. How your point sound so, like IBM made a drastic change due to failure of the original cel. NO.

IBMs current fully enhanced cell is not a enhancement towards a graphics processor design either....thus... The current version as well as the PS3 cell version are not for primarily rendering graphics.

The difficulty in programming for cell lies in its high speed, fine granular parrallel calculations, that communicate.

Regular multithreaded cpus 1) would slow down if they attempted this fine level of granularity, which limits them by design. Meaning a limit to the level of threading current apps can have, bearing in mind one wants to achieve optimal performance
    Let's act on what we agree on now, and argue later on what we don't.
    Black men leave Barbeque alone if Barbeque don't trouble you

Quote Originally Posted by Lanza View Post
    why didnt u find the same screen for both consoles instead of a diff pic???
    that pic does look like she has veins in her face all over but i think thats how its supposed to look aint it?? Find the same pic for the 360 then we will say sumn...
    U won't find the best on either of the consoles in multi-platform games. Jack of all trades master of none...
    All rights reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by semitop View Post
    U won't find the best on either of the consoles in multi-platform games. Jack of all trades master of none...
    2 diff games ??? how u gonna tell??? its like the gta4 comparison, bring something like that, not 2 diff games, and yes u can tell as some said gta4 looked better on the ps3, they both looked the same to me. Post fifa or sumn and lets see how they both look.
    If You Talk About That Of Whom In Which We Do Not Speak,Have We Not Spoken Of That Of Which We Do Not Talk??

Soon Drop:P

Core i7 920
    GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R-SLI
    G.SKILL Trident 6GB DDR3 2000

u have to use diff games. Games developed specifically for one console will be more likely to take advantage of that console to the fullest. Find the best looking, by popular opinion, 360 games and compare it to the best looking ps3 games
    All rights reserved.

why are you showing us rendered graphics semi? even the psone is capable of doing that
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

REndered? what u talking bout pezz?

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/adventur...videos;title;4
    All rights reserved.