Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Google Chrome Impressions

Sounds interesting.. i was scheptical in trying this.. but based on you guys reviews i'll try when i get home..
    Contact Info: guccikid14@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nestersan View Post
    Tested by who ?

You have some guys in lab coats who test your apps for you ?

Who tested Firefox and Opera ?
    It's beta .............. Duh.
    The fox was probably right - they could have been sour grapes.

Your skillz are beta...duh!
    (Who not using Sandboxie a f00l)
    Let Them Hate, So Long As They Fear.
    You do not know whereof you speak,and your words are empty things.
    Listen and gain Wisdom.

http://twitter.com/nestersan

Default Beta does not mean untested

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCat View Post
    It's beta .............. Duh.
    Definition of Beta: Testing of a rerelease of a software product conducted by customers. (www.aptest.com/glossary.html)

If you do your reading, you will see that is had underwent rigorous testing inside Google before being released. Beta does not mean untested, its just a second, more public phase of testing.

Do you use Gmail? That is Beta software. Do you use Google Reader, Google Anything, the new Yahoo Mail? All of those are in Beta.
    The answer you seek is *+5,2*3,2
    Check out my blog: http://rants.andreobrown.com

google chrome is the baddest thing out there right now!!!
    "Smartphones, the World in a Small Package"

Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    My question is since im not a programmer... wont microsoft be able to copy the code and put it in their own browser since its open source? How does that work?

"We've used components from Apple's WebKit and Mozilla's Firefox, among others -- and in that spirit, we are making all of our code open source as well"
    Yes this is correct. The Open Source software philosophy is geared toward aiding innovation and sharing ideas and technology. Most open source licenses support this by requiring those who use the code to release modifications and changes. So if MS decides to use the source, they have to give back to the community as well (at least if they want to redistribute what they have done, as would be the case with a browser).

Also, bear in mind that Google's Chrome is based on Apple's Webkit, another open source project. Firefox is also an open source project. So code has always been available to MS and whoever else care to use it.

You can read more about the open source philosophy here and about open source licenses here.
    The answer you seek is *+5,2*3,2
    Check out my blog: http://rants.andreobrown.com

Hopefully the various developers will not behave like dunces and avoid using the code written by others out of hubris.
    Listen and gain Wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    My question is since im not a programmer... wont microsoft be able to copy the code and put it in their own browser since its open source? How does that work?
    "We've used components from Apple's WebKit and Mozilla's Firefox, among others -- and in that spirit, we are making all of our code open source as well"
    as a programmer I can tell you that certain changes to the main parts of any application take a very long time to implement (if at all). A simple copy and paste not going to work. Its kinda like a vista/linux thing. The other browsers will have to think long and hard before they try to put this in. They say it was in development for 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by owen View Post
    as a programmer I can tell you that certain changes to the main parts of any application take a very long time to implement (if at all).
    Doesn't code modularity work anymore ?

That is how Linux and Windows are done, the kernel people can rewrite whatever the hell they want and the Networking stack people can too.

Why would they have written it to be one huge brute of a program ?

They can pick and choose modules, just like Apple did when it leeched implemented off Unix/OPENStep to make OSX.

The Dev comic and interviews say it was done by about three teams working on different parts in different countries and then brought together
    Listen and gain Wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Nestersan View Post
    Doesn't code modularity work anymore ?

That is how Linux and Windows are done, the kernel people can rewrite whatever the hell they want and the Networking stack people can too.

Why would they have written it to be one huge brute of a program ?

They can pick and choose modules, just like Apple did when it leeched implemented off Unix/OPENStep to make OSX.

The Dev comic and interviews say it was done by about three teams working on different parts in different countries and then brought together
    this is a whole other discussion but you my friend are living in a dreamworld.

As for Chrome when you leave it alone for about a hour, pages begin "wipe" down as they draw. Returns to normal once I start using it again - probably fell asleep / or disk cached.