Thread: Multicore chips pose next big challenge for industry

Question

Most software today is still written for single-core chips and will need to be rewritten or updated to take advantage of the potential multicore chips offer

Adding more processing cores has emerged as the primary way of boosting performance of server and PC chips, but the benefits will be greatly diminished if the industry can't overcome certain hardware and programming challenges, participants at the Multicore Expo in Santa Clara, California, said this week.

Most software today is still written for single-core chips and will need to be rewritten or updated to take advantage of the increasing number of cores that Intel, Sun Microsystems and other chip makers are adding to their products, said Linley Gwennap, president and principal analyst at The Linley Group.
    continue reading @ (source = InfoWorld)

i didn't post in the hardware section because i din't want it turn out to an Intel vs AMD debate since we all know Intel has the fastest chips out single and multi-threaded.

what i am curious about is your feedback on multi-threaded software. system are coming later this year with perhaps six processing cores and currently desktop systems with 8 cores are availalble. What software can take advantage of such hardware? will windows 7 that proposes greater multi-threading support be the stepping stone need for software to catch up to hardware? Mac based opinions are welcomed as well since i look forward to the arrival of Snow Leopard.

mouth mek fi talk so talk..
    Last edited by Aldayne; Apr 10, 2009 at 04:07 PM. Reason: merger

Only time will tell but so far i dont see it making much of a difference since the cpu will still be under utilized. The quest for power has left the software market still in the stone age