Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Console price war to start

Default Console price war to start

Powering up for holiday season battle

As we have been saying all along, the holiday console price war is coming this season and all three of the major manufacturers are likely to participate in at least some capacity.

The first shot really came a few weeks ago when Microsoft cleared the deck of the last of the inventory of its Xbox 360 20GB Pro systems for $299. While a few phone calls and searches around the Web indicate that the majority of the 20GB Pro systems are gone, but a few remain.

As we told you previously, the real price cutting will start in September when Microsoft will slash prices on all three systems. The Arcade system without the hard drive will be reduced from $279 to $199. The new 60GB Pro system will drop from $349 to $299, which will almost certainly be met with negative comments from those that just purchased a 20GB system for $299. The Elite will also get a price drop from $449 to $399.

At least for the moment, rumors of a larger Elite system with a hard drive bigger than the recently announced PlayStation 3 appears to have been tabled by Microsoft for the moment. It does, however, almost seem certain that Microsoft will announce a 250GB hard drive for the Xbox 360 either as an available add-on or in a special edition system at some point soon. This is perhaps to coincide with the Gears of War 2 launch that is expected later this holiday season.

As for Sony, they announced the new 160GB PlayStation 3 Special Edition that would be sold in the North American market for $499. It is expected that Sony will announce a drop in the 80GB PlayStation 3 to $349, which would be hard for Sony as they would be losing money or barely breaking even on the unit at this price point.

Insiders are telling us that we may see Sony launch a low-cost $299 PlayStation 3 stripped down SKU for a limited time during the holiday season, but nothing we have at the moment seems to confirm anything other than a $50 price drop on the 80GB unit.

As for Nintendo, the challenge will be to be able to continue to produce enough Wii units for the holiday season to keep up with demand. Nintendo still seems to be trickling the hardware out in limited numbers in order to keep excited about the unit.

We don’t think Nintendo will drop the price this holiday season, however, if they get behind at all to Sony or Microsoft. We would not put it past them to do it to move units before the end of the year. The real challenge for Nintendo is to continue to produce compelling titles that excite people about the Wii. The Wii continues to be the second console of choice among gamers.

It is set to really be a rough holiday season with price cuts and a lot of commercials advertising both hardware and software. With Microsoft’s recent success in Japan, as we told you about yesterday, it is important for Microsoft to continue to attract attention and price cuts might just be the best way to win the holiday season console cage match.
    http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...9022&Itemid=39
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

As for Nintendo, the challenge will be to be able to continue to produce enough Wii units for the holiday season to keep up with demand. Nintendo still seems to be trickling the hardware out in limited numbers in order to keep excited about the unit.
    lolers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

The Wii continues to be the second console of choice among gamers.
    It is unfair to say the Wii is the second console of choice if it has outsold both the PS3 and the Xbox360.

It is FAR more accurate to say, the Xbox and the PS3 are the second consoles of choice...

History is written by the victor !!
    Let Them Hate, So Long As They Fear.
    You do not know whereof you speak,and your words are empty things.
    Listen and gain Wisdom.

http://twitter.com/nestersan

Quote Originally Posted by Nestersan View Post
    It is unfair to say the Wii is the second console of choice if it has outsold both the PS3 and the Xbox360.

It is FAR more accurate to say, the Xbox and the PS3 are the second consoles of choice...

History is written by the victor !!
    lol, not many real gamers out there have a Wii alone, and that is why it is 2nd choice among gamers

Quote Originally Posted by chig View Post
    lol, not many real gamers out there have a Wii alone, and that is why it is 2nd choice among gamers
    I am sure alot less gamers have a ps3......
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    4890 oc roundup
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

wii is for more for ppl who jus want a pickup game. ps3 and 360 are,as he said, more for gamers

So apparently, the Wii does Spreadsheets...or was it Design-cad ?

Mine plays games, so maybe I need to send it back to Nintendo and complain that it is defective..
    It would help if you guys thought about what you said before commiting it to bits.

The systems all play games, the first person who dares tell me "No more Heroes", or any of the other GAMES I am playing are not games, gonna get smacked with an 1980's IBM Keyboard.

As a matter of fact it is the so called "Gaming Systems" of M$ and $ony which are trying to be media centres and computers....Jeez n00bz

The Wii is a purer games console than either of those devices.
    Let Them Hate, So Long As They Fear.
    You do not know whereof you speak,and your words are empty things.
    Listen and gain Wisdom.

http://twitter.com/nestersan

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    u love start argument tho, anyways is there any point to this post?

nester, define a gamer. Then, elaborate on the type of people buying the Wiis, all of them.

gamers are peole who play games...yuh have common sense yout? wii fit is a game wii sports is a game...
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    4890 oc roundup

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    'real gamers"

Wii is second choice cause of the reasons given... at least its more likely because of the price and the number of ppl who own it with another console. Seriously, which one of u would get a wii alone and miss out on the games on the other 2 consoles? U special nestersan so don't bother answer. No real real real gamer would do that. There is always a need for the big titles and blockbuster games
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo