Thread: installing XP on a external HD

Default installing XP on a external HD

my laptop HD died so i took it out of the laptop. i plugged my external HD via usb into it. i then booted up xp installation created a partition and copied the files, after that it rebooted to continue installation. after it reboots it is NOT goin into windows for me to continue the installation. ive already set the bios to boot from removable media. do u know guys know how to fix this?
    ChAos AnD cOnfLicT ArE mY ParEntS

sorry dude i dont think theres any "fixing" it, an OS just wont boot from an external device.....well at least 'ive never seen it done b4.

Mike 876

sorry dude i dont think theres any "fixing" it, an OS just wont boot from an external device.....well at least 'ive never seen it done b4.
    According to this link http://www.infopackets.com/news/soft...ve_crashes.htm
    it can be done. I mean to boot your computer from an external source. Click the link and read the article and post your comments.

Yes, it is possible to use the external hard drive as a total replacement / backup unit if your internal C drive crashed and you were no longer able to boot into Windows. This is called making a mirror image of your hard drive.

You can do this if:

a) your external hard drive is as big or bigger than your internal hard drive, and

b) you use a disk imager like Acronis True Image to make a "mirror copy" or "disk copy" from the internal hard drive (C drive) to the external USB drive (D drive, for example). A mirror copy essentially copies the *entire* drive from one to the next.

you will need to modify your boot sequence so that your external hard drive does not always try to boot first. Otherwise, you will be booting off your external hard drive after your first mirror copy is completed. This is not what you want, because any changes to the system will be done to your backup drive instead of your internal PC hard drive.

You can change your boot sequence by going into your computer's BIOS (Basic Input Output System). On most computers, the BIOS can be activated by holding down either the DEL or the F2 key when you first turn your computer on. Normally there is a message displayed at the bottom (or top) of the screen to "Press XXX key to enter CMOS / System Utility", etc.

Once you're in the BIOS, look for a section that pertains to "Boot" or "Startup". Since not all BIOS's are the same, I can't give you explicit directions where to look, although on most Dell PC's it's the last menu option on the top right of the screen.

When you're in the Boot menu, ensure that the C drive boots first, then the CD/DVD ROM, and then the USB drive (note that your external USB drive will need to be plugged in and turned on in order for it to show up in the list of bootable options). For the Dell PCs, you can adjust the boot sequence in a hierarchy by moving the cursor over top of an item and then by pressing the + or - key
    Ricardo Barrett
    Jesus+Education=Success
    BBM ME @ 7A70FCE3
    Whatsapp 1(876) 783-8991

i think he already set the bios to boot from the external device barret.
    it might be a prob with the drive itself.
    i love my country, but i fear my elected officials
    Call me on 3538447.
    topdogclu @ hotmail.com

But i thought his internal HDD was dead i could be wrong.

I have tried that so many times with so many different HDD's, Enclosures even flash drives (16GB) it's not funny, but all failed with my laptop it all boils down to "Is My PC compatable to run an OS with an external boot medium" for mine the answer was NO more like a Hell No if you know what i mean.

The XP Installation always reached the GUI section and then files just wouldn't load no matter how i pleaded and i also tried making a true image / or a mirror copy and still when i tried to boot from the drives they all took me to my BSOD (Black Screen Of Disappointment)
    Email : malco1987@hotmail.com| LIME :342-9787 | DIGICEL : 406-4604

One Stop Software Downloads
    www.filehippo.com

i just thought of sumthin......
    i use to do this with windows 98. copy the files to the HD, den jus run the install from dere.
    my guess is that :
    1: the board not booting from the external HD, even though u set it to
    2: the board is not capable to boot from external drives.
    3: did you remember to set the boot device priority?

if thats the case, den put up 5k for a 80 to 160GB HD
    i love my country, but i fear my elected officials
    Call me on 3538447.
    topdogclu @ hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by kev007_2002 View Post
    i just thought of sumthin......
    i use to do this with windows 98. copy the files to the HD, den jus run the install from dere.
    my guess is that :
    1: the board not booting from the external HD, even though u set it to
    2: the board is not capable to boot from external drives.
    3: did you remember to set the boot device priority?
    Yup i think thats what he has to do classifeds has some nice ones i think he should go take a look see
    Email : malco1987@hotmail.com| LIME :342-9787 | DIGICEL : 406-4604

One Stop Software Downloads
    www.filehippo.com