Thread: visual basic becoming unpopular?

Default visual basic becoming unpopular?

Microsoft's popular Visual Basic development language--used by about half of all professional programmers--may be on the wane, according to a new study.
    Market researcher Evans Data said Tuesday that 52 percent of software developers surveyed use Visual Basic today, but that 43 percent of them plan to move to other languages, including Java and C#, a Java-like language developed by Microsoft.

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-1000011.html

Default Re:visual basic becoming unpopular?

Has anybody used vbasic.NET? This could probably be one of the reasons. they have kinda made more of a C like standard language. Don't get me wrong the syntax and most everything is the same. But a few key things that make vb vb have been removed to make it more of a standard/all purpose language. I've been using Vbasic since version 4 and I had one program in Q. however the new programmers will get used to new stuff. it's not going to die(well not for now at least). 8)

Good article.

Well I made the switch from VB to Delphi several years ago and I must say that C# and Java are better choices if you plan to interface with PDAs, wireless devices, etc

delphi delphI delpHI delPHI deLPHI dELPHI DELPHI
    DELPHI DELPHI !!! (chant getting louder n louder lol)

Straight up DELPHI. VB was MicroSoft's response to Borland's Delphi. Pascal is very close to C (the most powerfull language on the planet after ASM). I just love the one exe distribution concept unlike VB. I find that if you build an application with VB with the intent of deploying it far away (Sav for eg) then you better bring a CD with your source code and the compiler. Also never try to do an install of the App on you developement PC, it just may screw every_thing up.

Hey finni03 Vb does have it's strong points. And there are ways to avoid distribution problems (such as using only the basic libraries and controls)

Yeh, but you still have to bundle all the files onto diskettes or a CD. With Delphi it's just one exe.

I haven't ventured into dephi yet (probably I won't). I'm still using pascal 7 cause it just so cool. You should see my pascal GUI project. it's my pride and joy. 8)

i got these tutorials and i am trying to learn HTML, Java, and delphi at the same time.. i used to do BASIC and PASCAL.. from when you had to install them on diskettes.. but i loved GWBASIC.. then came Qbasic.. the point of all this things and time change.. people are asking the computer to do all the work now.. i always wanted to develop a software and bla bla bla.. and you know its funny how far behind i am because of a short break...