Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer TEchnician Position

Yung_Jah Guest

Default Computer TEchnician Position

I have applied for this position...and I needed your response specifically from persons who have worked in this field...how did y'all manage on your first week until it develop to becoming nothing to you?

What advice can you give me, I have not been able to gain experience in this field...as I would like...to be honest, I have never build a system as in knowing what parts to order and setting up a system...

What I have done (in class couple years back)...was disassemble and re-assemble, which is nothing really. (I have no problem installing Windows)...but I have never created a partition...like splitting a single HDD using the Windows CD....don't wanna use any other partition software.

My main concern is the fact that, I have never built a system...sometimes I have to be fretting...in terms of knowing what CPU would fit into the motherboard....even without a manual. As well as knowing how to attach the small fine wires that read RESET....and the others, again, without a manual.

Help me out someone...why am I having these doubts!!!

Just relax there is nothing to worry about which u will soon see for ur self.. the sockets for the cpu is written on the board as long as the memory fits you are good to go just make sure you know what type of cpu u r using and check the socket on the board everything else is plug and play
    Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. Live for computers or else they will live for you.
    8368993 (lime) 303-1359 (digi) blunt60us@yahoo.com

jus curious where did u do your study material uwi utech right...you deserver a beating ma brotha..look ho wmuch help deh pon the site not to mention u have google at your disposal..man i upset rasta...mi bex mi don
    Dont hate ma game we all here for the same reasons,We here to get tha green paper throughout all seasons.C.R.E.A.M

well what i will tell you is just what i tell my technicians, dont waste time if you want to be an asset to a company you should study diligently to be versed in your field, use your time wisely, study for a set number of times daily and try to get as many experience as you can. I used to offer my services for free on weekends with my friends companies to gain more experience

over time you realise you gain more when you sometimes work for free

being just a pc tech just isnt enough anymore you need alot more if you want to work for a companies, more and more they are expanding the range of services they offer and as such they will require more from you

I would recommend getting a pc magazine subscription or news letter to keep abreast with current hardware n softies. play around wid old parts, do lots of research and remember, google is your friend.
    NZXT S340*Asus Prime B350 Plus*AMD Ryzen 5 1600*Cooler Master Masterliquid 240 AIO*8GB Patriot Viper 3000MHZ DDR4*SanDisk 120GB SSD*Corsair CX 650 80+Bronze PSU*Windows 10 Pro 64bit*Acer R Series 21.5" IPS 1080p 4ms Monitor

Cool

Ppl harsh more time eeh man... I was like the dude once, no lie.. Never even wanted to touch a screw on pc.. Yung_Jah first of u have to do up some reading and A LOT.. Here is a site, howstuffworks. Quite a lot of reading but at the same time, ur work is not all theory so u just need a few practices on any pc to get urself feel aquainted with the parts.. This will become he baq of ur hand in no time, no worry urself.
    Sweet joke: I remember when i opened my sister's old computer which was deemed dead (this was last april), opened it and took out the processor (LGA 775 socket) and saw no pins on the thing. I was like this is whats wrong with the thing, procesor pins dem bruk off...lol.. surprise i put in and said i was gonna see what happened if i powered it up; and to heck i was frieghtened when everything working alright.. It was not until i read up on it that i found thos processors didn't have pins, the sockets do...

My first lil Advice: ALWAYS ground urself to pc b4 touching any of the parts. Oh and a decent tool kit is always good to have.

Posts above: I recommend them all so.. Have fun bredda
    Zee
    -----
    To find yourself, think for yourself © Socrates 469 BC

Sweet joke: I remember when i opened my sister's old computer which was deemed dead (this was last april), opened it and took out the processor (LGA 775 socket) and saw no pins on the thing. I was like this is whats wrong with the thing, procesor pins dem bruk off...l
    Wow i though i was alone with that one dont worried even if you break accidentally format something or even fry a board those are the thing we learn from the most that is never to make them happen again my worst fear is building a PC but i have done two so far but fixed many machines its rare i get to build one but it wasnt so bad what i hated the most was mounting the processor fan that was like a b****h i dont think all the reading in world is gonna help a 100% but if you can your hands on some pc old parts that would great experiment make mistakes thats beauty of all this

good luck bro

If you have a old computer, just experiment on it:
    install OS, partition HD, install hardware.
    Remember to use the Kit;

For quick help, pre google and forums that are related to the topic;

Did you do IT Essentials or should I say what you did?
    |--- www.RealJamaicaEstate.com ™ ---|
    Invest small = small returns [micro enterprise] | Invest Big = returns Big [macro enterprise]
    --- www.fashionsJAMAICA.com ™ -|- www.ChampsJamaica.com

Yung_Jah Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tommytrouble View Post
    jus curious where did u do your study material uwi utech right...you deserver a beating ma brotha..look ho wmuch help deh pon the site not to mention u have google at your disposal..man i upset rasta...mi bex mi don
    lol....I didn't attend any of those colleges...did a diploma in 2003 at an institution. And since then, I have not had enough hands on experience...that is why I am in a "worrying state"...(reading from this site, does help, but actually doing the practical is a different story). It is just like how these days, people need person with experience....so graduating with a Bachelors with no experience is a problem....cuz yu have people out that does well on paper, but not practically.

I have not even repair a Laptop....but I guess as long as I am under supervision, I should be fine.

Techdude....I am familiar with the parts as I know all of them already, as I said in the first line...I don't have enough hands on experience setting up a system....not saying it is hard to fit them in....the main part I am worried about is choosing the right Processor for the right board. I can read, yes, the processor would say AMD or Intel.....therefore AMD processor goes for AMD compatible motherboard....but what I actually mean is...if the processor is AM2 or AM3....that sort...

just follow the all the advice you've gotten so far and you should be good to go.

and GOOGLE.Howstuffworks is a good webpage.... i use it countless amount of times.

and i doubt within your first month or even 3 months you will be getting a system to assemble... diagnostics is wht you will be doing.
    check this thread for some tools to carry with you. or better yet, make sure to ask your employer if you can use your own diagnostic tools, or they provide.

http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/sh...t=61111&page=4
    Back to square one....., back off the ground now........