Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP: Vista will not load past log in screen

Default Vista not booting

Technoboy

I think from your post you did try fixboot right? Other that that you could try reinstalling Vista in most instances it will backup your previous windows installation to a folder called windows.old. or just do a repair install for windows you won't lose a thing except maybe have to reinstall a few apps at most.
    Next thing when did you problem occur was it after a an update installation?

About Vista, I was a recent Vista user. Built the system myself. Dual core cpu, SATA hard drive. Vista installed perfectly. Updated to service pack 1 my hard drive disappeared. Couldn't find it at all, had to use Knoppix.
    Any way I tried installing the driver for my hard drive while doing a repair installation. Nope didn't happen and unfortunately the motherboard manufacturer didn't have anything new. I ended up going back to XP. Just goes to show sometimes the weirdest things can happen.

assuming that vista would have the same recovery options as xp, go to the recoevery console and sun chkdsk or try running system restore. cant think of anything else atm need to do sum experimenting and will let you know the results

Quote Originally Posted by ctssltd View Post
    Technoboy

I think from your post you did try fixboot right? Other that that you could try reinstalling Vista in most instances it will backup your previous windows installation to a folder called windows.old. or just do a repair install for windows you won't lose a thing except maybe have to reinstall a few apps at most.
    Next thing when did you problem occur was it after a an update installation?
    When I try Fixboot and FixMBR...from the C:/ I get an error saying internal of external command does not exist. I even researched and found I need to put something like this:

Code:
    \Fixmbr \device\harddisk0 and \Fixboot C:
    Still gives the error. I am wondering if I am typing them correctly. When I first go to the command prompt from the Recovery console...it is in an "X" drive, so I use cd...or just C: to go to my C:/.

The first thing I do though, before the above commands, is to load up the bootrec.exe. It gives a description of each of the commands and then it is from there I make my attempt. Nothing.

Now, regarding doing a reinstallation. I am not very sure that Vista does a proper backup. And I doubt my applications will still be in tact. I would still need to reinstall them if I remember well.

Now, you sure there is a Repair Install feature in Vista? Thing is...my CD is an upgrade CD given by the manufacturer to upgrade from Windows Media Centre. I didn't do an upgrade though...I surfed the net and found a way to install from the Upgrade CD from a fresh hard drive...so I backed up, formatted and then did the trick and it worked. I wonder if it still does...

Another option I have AFTER BACKING UP with the external hard drive I bought (waiting for it to arrive) is to try and use some codes I found to restore a Dell PC to factory settings. MY system has 160GB but only 144GB is available to me. I am assuming that the partition does exist to revert to factory settings which in my case is Media Centre. I probably wouldn't even mind that at this point.

But I won't mess with those codes I found UNTIL I have properly backed up my files from Within Ubuntu. So for now...either I fix the startup issue...or wait and get my data backed up before I do anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by frass2000 View Post
    assuming that vista would have the same recovery options as xp, go to the recoevery console and sun chkdsk or try running system restore. cant think of anything else atm need to do sum experimenting and will let you know the results
    I have tried all that. Startup fixer cannot repair...it's not finding an issue using chkdsk and system restore will not work. Even tried it from the DOS prompt.+
    Lover of Technology, period!!||Currently loaded: Samsung Galaxy Note 10+