Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .NET Migration

Default Re: .NET Migration

Thanks for the suggestions SQLDBA. I think you had a valid point about a Windows Centric environment. I'll talk to the dev Manager about that though, because I have heard rumors about the Gov't switiching to Linux and Open Source and we are partially a government agency so I dont know how that might affect us.

The Applications we are developing are solely for internal use and are not very large. The largest app we have is a Human Resource Management System that is currently nearing completion. And it is only about 90 asp pages right now.

In the matter of choice, us developers have none. The manager has his heart set on .NET so we just have to go along. But personally I dont mind. I really hate ASP. Its very limited. OO is the way to go.
    The answer you seek is *+5,2*3,2
    Check out my blog: http://rants.andreobrown.com

I agree decisions like this should not be left up to developers. However, in charting your enterprise apps you need the imput of architects. You need to mesure short against long term gains.
    For example, if you stick with MS(.Net) in the short term your productivity dips a little but the transitions is not as dramatic since you are still in the same evironment. Where as if you go with Java you need to be careful with the rollout. Since you might go through a drought, speaking in terms of new or improved features, in your app. However, to stem this drought you may want do pilots to measure and respond to how your organization deals with this technology.
    I have within me the blood of kings....take me to the leader of your world.

I think that .NET is such a huge departure from ASP that there will be productivity hits and learning curve barriers just the same as if we swithced to Java. But, .NET is definately the choice now that I have and understanding of the migration options and process. I am almost finished reading the 15 page migration document from MS. Two more pages to go. Most of the stuff in it dont apply to us, but it has been very informative.

I have prepared a document for my Manager on .NET migration as he requested. I'm currently having it reviewed by other developers. I have attached it to this post if anyone is interested in reading it. The file was 50KB so I compressed it. I would have done an SFX but some ppl (such as myself) get suspicious of exes.

Suggestions are welcome. I will also post the final version for reference by others in the future.

I have removed the name of my company. Never can know if anyone might have problems with me posting internal stuff on the web.
    Last edited by nder; Oct 29, 2004 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nder
    I have prepared a document for my Manager on .NET migration as he requested. I'm currently having it reviewed by other developers. I have attached it to this post if anyone is interested in reading it. The file was 50KB so I compressed it. I would have done an SFX but some ppl (such as myself) get suspicious of exes.

Suggestions are welcome. I will also post the final version for reference by others in the future.

I have removed the name of my company. Never can know if anyone might have problems with me posting internal stuff on the web.
    Couple of things:
    1. You might want to emphasize the code reuse more, use dollar figures. Management gets that, and the use of words like "efficiencies"
    2. You alluded to services, I think, when you wrote about xml and handheld devices. You might want to highlight that some more, if my assumptions are correct.

Good Document

Kinda ironic that 'editor' is the first to reply Thanks for the suggestions. I'm making the changes now.

I also found an error last night. ASP.NET does not require Windows XP. The minimum requirements specifies Windows 2000. I missed that.

Going to make the ammendments and corrections and repost.

Here is the revision to the document. Added more info on the benefits of .NET as regards mobile applications and code reuse. Also emphasised the importance of training staff to take advantage of these advanced features. The last thing I would want is for them to buy everythign adn then say give us our mobile apps now

Thumbs up Re: .NET Migration

Quote Originally Posted by nder
    Here is the revision to the document. Added more info on the benefits of .NET as regards mobile applications and code reuse. Also emphasised the importance of training staff to take advantage of these advanced features. The last thing I would want is for them to buy everythign adn then say give us our mobile apps now
    Outstanding nder.

However, I would have liked to see a delta going something like this: "The use of OO makes successive development iterations of the app cheaper. What once took $us4k to develop after a couple of iterations will now cost $us500. "

I call it the old 1-2. Others call it general to the specific.

I must say you did allude to it when you wrote about less developer hours, but nothing brings it home like a dollar figure.