Thread: Accessing my php and asp scripts with IIS

Default Re: learning asp

yeah, i'm back with on the asp trail again i installed the iis component this morning but there's one problem, i'm figuring i would access the scripts i made in my c:/inetpub/webroot by using http://localhost/ but ther problem is i also do php programming so if i should try localhost or 127.0.0.1 i would be taken to the php root folder and not the asp. how do i set the asp localhost name ?

Default Re: Accessing my php and asp scripts with IIS

how do i set the asp localhost name ?
    You can't do such a thing, as far as I know.

You can either set the localhost site for Directory Browsing or have 2 folders under your site called /asp and /php and access them by going to localhost/asp or localhost/php.

Directory Browsing allows you to view a listing of all files and folders on your site, using your browser. So when you go to localhost it shows you the folder and files, and you click which file/folder you want to access.
    You can then click on the files you want to work with from there.

If creating 2 folders, you can put your asp scripts in /asp and php files in /php.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

is it possible for you to create a virtual host on another port and set its root the directory to the asp files ?????

well corrently the server that is responding to the http://localhost url is appserver which i installed for my php scripting. now from what your saying (well waht i think ur saying) i should just use iis and do both my scriipting for php and asp???

hmm i dont like this i really like appserver, maybe i should do my php on my linux partition and asp on win partion..

gime some more advise.

well that should not be a prob for you to do ... IIS can surely run php scripts quite well, along with your asp scritps... actually you shouldn't have to do what i said above .... just carry out the requried set up steps for the php module and you should be good to go .... but if you really want to use your appserver for your php scripts alone .. then one way to do this is to make IIS listen to another port other than your appserver .... therefore you could type something like

http://localhost:1234

to get your asp scripts running

aone, could he use his HOST file to allow him to enter "aspsite" in his address bar which takes him to 127.0.0.1:1234 ?? Instead of typing out the ip and port number which can be cumbersome.

right now arch it dont matter i'm just trying to get into the asp first, the programming it self is what im dealing with now.. hey to change the iis port number how do i do that, i was thinking that i'ld ahve to chage the php one, how do you change the iis server port?

Open the IIS console. (Start Menu --> All Programs --> Administrative Tools --> Internet Information Services)

Right Click on your website name. If you don't see your website click the - minues signs beside each, until you get to your website. It should be under the folder called "Web Sites".

Right click and select Properties.

In your properties, you should see an option called TCP Port. Usually it is set to 80. Change the port number to the one you want to use. Just make sure no other program is currently using that port.

Click Apply. Then Ok.

You can then access your site by typing http://localhost:port number

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel
    aone, could he use his HOST file to allow him to enter "aspsite" in his address bar which takes him to 127.0.0.1:1234 ?? Instead of typing out the ip and port number which can be cumbersome.
    yeh definitely ... you can change the hosts file, but you would have to append the port number to the end .... aspsite:1234

example (this would be placed in the host file):

127.0.0.1 aspsite

thanks alot guys, i'm well on my way with asp now, will be back with more questions if in a jam