Thread: Microsoft SQL Desktop Engine (MSDE)

Default Microsoft SQL Desktop Engine (MSDE)

It has been interesting to watch Microsoft re-engineer its business model in response to the new threats.

They appear to be making a big push with the Microsoft SQL Desktop Engine 2.0. They are now actively encouraging developers to use it as the backend for their Windows based applications.

MSDE is a free SQL based engine. It can be seen as MS SQL 2000 lite. It can share data with SQL 2000 but it has certain limitations. These include:

2 GB database limit

No tools such as Query Analyser and Enterprise Manager are included. Developers are encouraged to build equivalent tools into their applications. This suggests that database management or backup scripts would be written as part of the application.

Limits re: the amounts of simultaneous queries that can be run at one time. I need to look some more at this one. It sounds as if queries in excess of the maximum allowed will have to wait to be processed. This sounds like a real bottle neck. I need to make sure I understand this one properly.

It appears as if Microsoft is trying to start users on a low end version of SQL with the hope that they will migrate to the full blown version as their requirements become more demanding.

This leads me to wonder about the future of the Access database. Should be interesting to see how they differentiate the two products.

You can get more info. here

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=321518

There are big plans to standardize a number of Microsoft products on this database.

Default Re:Microsoft SQL Desktop Engine (MSDE)

microsoft has always used these tactics to sucker new developers to support there main sortware products.
    Firstly they start with a upgrade. then a limited trial version. then a limited full version. by that time your programs can't run on anything else.

As for the MS Access issue. I really liked the 97 version. then in the next version the made it incompatable with the first.

Then in Access 2000 they included this "Access Project". You'll probably know this if you used access alot - you can't possibly resist it. I don't know how many users know this but it's actually running on a Sql Server 7 dbase as the back-end (which is bundled with Office 2000).

So your there in Access using a sql-server database. ??? tread with caution.

anyway microsoft does have good documentation.

Guys you dolloar value has droped to an all time low of $60+. Let us stop look @ these expensive solutions and go the way Germany, China and other developed countries have gone. Open source. MySQL and Postgres SQL can more than replace M$ $QL. Non of these have any limitations.

[quote author=finni03 link=board=10;threadid=676;start=0#msg5343 date=1052957755]
    Guys you dolloar value has droped to an all time low of $60+. ...
    [/quote]

Sorry finni03, that was the rate 2-3 days ago. The JM$ is now OVER $65 :'(

Looks like dy/dx is becoming e^x in the case of our dollar. I think if we used up all the Tech skills here in JA (create a silicon island) we could turn this around ??? :