Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metered Internet on trial

Default Metered Internet on trial

Metered billing is an attempt to deal fairly with Internet usage.....
    http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/glean...business5.html

nuttin beats flat rate

Quote Originally Posted by techgangsta21 View Post
    nuttin beats flat rate
    It is no secret that over-subscription has been the model ISPs have used since dial-up days but the [US] Cable ISPs have created this situation by jacking up the speed on their broadband packages well beyond their ability to manage that last mile traffic.

Forget heavy Bit-torrent and P2P users for the moment as they already have ways of dealing with that minority. They gambled that average users would never utilize all that bandwidth they were using to sweeten the pot but that extra bandwidth has found a home in media rich sites and applications (YouTube, HD Video content etc.)

I would sooner take a cut in package speed than have to go back to metered Internet services ever again. What is particularly galling about the talks now going on is that they are mulling over cutting speed AND imposing monthly bandwidth caps.

That type of thing not going to come to jamaica. because jamaicans don't like to be hold down to anything. thats the reason why MIphone have to change there thinking now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamaicanhomeboy View Post
    That type of thing not going to come to jamaica. because jamaicans don't like to be hold down to anything. thats the reason why MIphone have to change there thinking now.
    u can say that again

I agree with techgangsta.

Overseas ISP's have been doing this for years now (Cable Internet Providers only) I upload/download around 5 Gigs a day, Comcast sent me a letter claiming "Damages" because of my Internet Usage when I politely asked the Comcast Representative how I caused "Damages" from my supposed unlimited Internet Package they said I was degrading the neighbors service so they wanted me to pay an outrages prenatally fee, time to switch back to DSL

oh and my neighbors who use a similar amount of bandwidth have not noticed any so called "decrease" in service...

Quote Originally Posted by mjj4363 View Post
    Overseas ISP's have been doing this for years now (Cable Internet Providers only) I upload/download around 5 Gigs a day, Comcast sent me a letter claiming "Damages" because of my Internet Usage when I politely asked the Comcast Representative how I caused "Damages" from my supposed unlimited Internet Package they said I was degrading the neighbors service so they wanted me to pay an outrages prenatally fee, time to switch back to DSL

oh and my neighbors who use a similar amount of bandwidth have not noticed any so called "decrease" in service...
    see y flow ain't too good no more? this is making me rethink
    LiVE LiFE..LeVeL Di ViBEZ.....use to own a mobile site called McNAllySiTE... Google Advocate
    Current System:
    Win10 Pro, Reaper, Reason, Pro Tools, FL Studio
    Network: T-Mobile & Sprint 4G LTE; Current Devices: iPhone 8 Plus, iPad Pro 10.5
    I manage: HitzConnect Radio follow me, twitter: @ram130

Quote Originally Posted by mjj4363 View Post

If customers left their service because of this then they'd rethink their strategy and upgrade their network instead of messing around with people peace of mind. If I find this happening to me i'd just move on to the next available option.
    If their network is overloaded, its their own fault for overselling the damn bandwidth, then they blaming it on the customers who they sold it to.
    Click the link if you would like to see a solution to the problems that face humanity; war, hunger, poverty and suffering, crime, inequality, control, corruption and all the other things that negatively affect our planet. www.thevenusproject.com and www.thezeitgeistmovement.com

Quote Originally Posted by ram130 View Post
    see y flow ain't too good no more? this is making me rethink
    What makes you say that? mjj4363 [and I] specifically mentioned U.S. ISPs as this is not necessarily a phenomenon seen elsewhere. Flow for it's part has, as far as I'm aware, always provided the bandwidth they've promised. In fact, their packages are particularly generous on the up-link capacity compared to some U.S. carriers (C&W as well now that I think about it.) Not saying things won't change but barring technical difficulties, when you can get broadband in Jamaica it is pretty good, regardless of who you go with.