Thread: Wimax & LTE Unification, Share Your Thoughts!

Default Wimax & LTE Unification, Share Your Thoughts!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7425756.stm

Intel seeks wireless unification

The two competing 4G wireless systems, Wimax and Long Term Evolution (LTE), should be united, according to Intel.

Intel is the biggest supporter of Wimax, which offers high-speed, long-range wireless connections designed for the mobile net.

"In our view they ought to be harmonised," said Sean Maloney, head of sales and marketing at Intel.

LTE is a technology based on existing mobile networks and has broad support from many mobile bodies.
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Jun 3, 2008 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Added quote tags
    Ricardo Barrett
    Jesus+Education=Success
    BBM ME @ 7A70FCE3
    Whatsapp 1(876) 783-8991

Default WiMAX vs LTE

Will WiMAX be supplemented by LTE or will the two broadband networking technologies learn to peacefully coexist? Each has their own advantages, but both share one critical link for success.

Developed as an IEEE networking standard, WiMAX has been steadily chugging along for a number of years; the WiMAX forum was established in June 2001 and now has over 490 companies involved with the efforts to certify and promote products based on 802.16 standards. A number of countries have embraced WiMAX, including Australia, Pakistan, and Taiwan. In the U.S., efforts by Sprint Nextel and Clearwire to aggressively deploy a nationwide WiMAX network have slowed due to larger financial issues both companies face.
    Read more: http://vonmag.com/editorial/web-exclusives/wimax-vs-lte
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Jun 3, 2008 at 01:49 PM. Reason: added quote tags and link to source

I supporting the merging of both competing technologies as this could signal the start of something similar to 5g for cellphones and Wimax for all once you can afford it. I guess another sign of the times and the importance of technology and the convergence of various wireless platforms.
    Ricardo Barrett
    Jesus+Education=Success
    BBM ME @ 7A70FCE3
    Whatsapp 1(876) 783-8991