Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UPS battery replacement

Default UPS battery replacement

I'm looking for a local business (in Kingston, preferably) that sells UPS replacement batteries, not the entire enclosure/unit. This would be for APC and Forza-branded UPSes. If old battery recycling is done as well, that would be great.

Thanks for any input.

Tropical Batteries does this. There are other places as well, but Tropical will at least do the disposal once you bring in the old ones. They had some sale going recently for the 12V7A and 12V9A ones that they have.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Thanks. Will try Tropical.

I know Accupower Jamaica sells batteries for APC units.
    Confucius say..Man who fight with wife all day, get no piece at night!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillion View Post
    Your task as member of the elite is to educate, no matter how hard it is.
    No one can do all their own homework all the time. That is why people communicate and collaborate on forums.

Quote Originally Posted by BUBBA View Post
    I know Accupower Jamaica sells batteries for APC units.
    Forgot about that. There's also CES.

http://www.cesjm.com/

They do Liebert stuff - but they may sell batteries as well.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Updating for others who might be interested...

Tropical Battery didn't have the correct size of UPS battery to fit into the APC shell. I had my doubts when I first called them and they emphasized only needing the voltage and amperage to match a replacement, which they claimed to have in stock.

Anyway, TB were kind enough to direct me to Innovative at Sovereign who had the correct replacements in stock. Innovative took the old battery for recycling. While the replacement is not an APC brand, Innovative offered a 1 year warranty with the purchase.

Alright. Good to know. Thanks for the update. Curious - could you send the model of the batteries? Or the UPS model? Even if the physical size is different, the batteries could work. And some UPSes actually have an adapter of sorts that will use two batteries inside. The APC RS1200 for example - it uses 2x 12V7A or 12V9A batteries that are basically taped together. If you remove the tape and connect the replacement batteries the same way they are inside - and tape them back together - you can do the replacement that way. For example.

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Alright. Good to know. Thanks for the update. Curious - could you send the model of the batteries? Or the UPS model? Even if the physical size is different, the batteries could work. And some UPSes actually have an adapter of sorts that will use two batteries inside. The APC RS1200 for example - it uses 2x 12V7A or 12V9A batteries that are basically taped together. If you remove the tape and connect the replacement batteries the same way they are inside - and tape them back together - you can do the replacement that way. For example.
    Honestly, I never actually saw the batteries at TB. I went with the word of the salesperson.

The APCRBC154 was needed for the APC BE600M1.

Ah. OK. That's a 2A battery. That's a bit smaller than the regular 7A or 9A batteries they'd have. That model UPS is a slimline model for single desktop usage. If you have a gaming rig - I recommend getting a 1000VA UPS instead of the current one which is 600VA. It can work - but you'd get a shorter time out of it.

Still - if it works for you then fine. Glad you got it sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Ah. OK. That's a 2A battery. That's a bit smaller than the regular 7A or 9A batteries they'd have. That model UPS is a slimline model for single desktop usage. If you have a gaming rig - I recommend getting a 1000VA UPS instead of the current one which is 600VA. It can work - but you'd get a shorter time out of it.

Still - if it works for you then fine. Glad you got it sorted.
    Thanks for the recommendation. But I have a proper UPS for a desktop.

The unit above is to keep a UniFi/Digicel network setup running through short periods of power outage at home.