Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ASP is dead

ok then i see that you no want accept what is/will be.

Quote Originally Posted by death_knight View Post
    I haven't posted on this site in over a year but asp isn't a language if i remember correctly.. it utilizes other scripting languages like jscript, vbscript, c# etc so it ties with an actual scripting to be useable..

and to port asp to linux servers chilli asp is an option. Iv'e seen it work. Not sure how stable it is.

Retreating back to the shadows. was just saying its not a development language
    ASP has been around long before C#. C# is a part of .NET not ASP.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    ASP may be powerfull but i'm telling you it surly being fazed out especially by web companies out here and i know of 3 them {and no i will not give any names}
    and i'm one of the many people who is doing the transformation from ASP to PHP to many sites.

maybe because of the easy of use of php i think and plus the cost of a window box to host.

so to me ASP is dead

Note i'm not talking about ASP.NET that another story
    You see 3 companies moving from ASP to PHP and that means ASP is dead. There is no language easier to use that ASP (Visual Basic).

The cost of hosting on a windows box is almost as cheap as linux. Alot of persons are moving to .NET and all windows servers run both .NET and ASP together.
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Jun 7, 2008 at 10:38 AM. Reason: merged multiple posts
    www.pixJM.com - View and upload photos/videos of what's currently happening in the streets of Jamaica.

Quote Originally Posted by fatta77 View Post
    ASP has been around long before C#. C# is a part of .NET not ASP.

You see 3 companies moving from ASP to PHP and that means ASP is dead
    . There is no language easier to use that ASP (Visual Basic).

The cost of hosting on a windows box is almost as cheap as linux. Alot of persons are moving to .NET and all windows servers run both .NET and ASP together.
    NO i see most of the web site using it. i see top customizable CMS, Shopping cart, Ads system and forum bin built with it.
    Locally i see more web companies asking for that skill set than ASP
    i have seen the transformation from ASP to PHP not the other other way round.
    even the very site i'm post this comment on using it. i know you see too.
    Now you tell me what have seen so far with ASP.

When I search http://www.getacoder.com/

"in project description" with each tag asp, asp.net, php, flash, I found these search results:

asp = (2767) [Note asp is in the search tag asp.net... so asp by itself would be less][Note some projects are asp to php converters]
    asp.net = (795)
    php = (7944)
    flash = (4681)

"in title of page"

asp = (504) [Note asp is in the search tag asp.net... so asp by itself would be less][Note some projects are asp to php converters]
    asp.net = (205)
    php = (2392)
    flash = (2114)

There were (20682) projects in web development

Surprisingly, to me as well, asp is not so dead afterall
    Let's act on what we agree on now, and argue later on what we don't.
    Black men leave Barbeque alone if Barbeque don't trouble you

When it comes to these stuff. ASP.NET is taking over asp. Comparing languages should be CF, PHP and ASP.NET. Categorizing these by efficiency and speed of coding, ASP.NET if found to be over 300% - 600% faster than php due to precompilation and dynamic compilation.

Look at it this way, asp vs ASP.NET is no competition, work is done 2x faster and php vs asp.net, work is done 3x - 4x faster with much less coding. Servers supporting php and asp.net are basically at the same prices now.

To the guy who said he's being spoonfed with asp.net. Lol i'm working on a CMS right now in asp.net and u couldn't imagine the amount of coding i have to be doing. If i was to do this in php, i'd not only have to code, i'd have to write the javascripts and html. Using the ASP.NET, more than half of that is generated for me and i spend less time.

To many people, it would be a preference of what language they are skilled at to use for working on certain projects. For instance where high security is concerned and you want to make sure everything is secure from ground up, PHP or CF would be the way to go. If time is of the matter, ASP.NET.

Quote Originally Posted by Mixmasterxp View Post
    For instance where high security is concerned and you want to make sure everything is secure from ground up, PHP or CF would be the way to go. If time is of the matter, ASP.NET.

Can i asked why PHP and CF is more secure than ASP.NET?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Many people lay claim that PHP is more secure than IIS/ASP.net. Are you aware that IIS 6 has been around for more than three years has never has had one single critical security vulnerability (as of May 2006)? There are many studies published that support this, and they aren’t written by Microsoft. In version of PHP prior to 5.2.2 (Announced Friday may 4, 2007) there were 11 security vulnerabilities announced at scunia.com for PHP 4.4.x and 5.2.x. Scunia shows 4965 PHP vulnerabilities (all versions), 400 Apache vulnerabilities (all versions) compared to only 46 for IIS (all versions) and 14 for ASP.net (all versions). Scunia is a security advisory company that also offers security information and tools. They are quite impartial and only report what they and others find.

PHP does have a good security model; however security is only as good as the programmer’s skill that writes the application. Same thing for ASP.net, however ASP.net does provide quite a few built-in security features that help developers write secure code right out of the box. Inherently ASP.net does allow you to write secure code without having to be a security guru.

Source: http://www.gmpservices.com/Articles/...omparison.aspx
    Last edited by fatta77; Jun 11, 2008 at 11:15 AM.
    www.pixJM.com - View and upload photos/videos of what's currently happening in the streets of Jamaica.

asp & asp.net are different, and to say asp is dying would be foolish. That's dew to personal opinion and not actual statistics. i have developed in asp3.0 and community of asp users is not decreasing no time soon, it's actually increasing. definitely not dying anytime soon....

As soon as you make something idiot proof, Nature makes better idiots!!!

Think big, think smart, think linux

digimon Guest

ASP is dead. ASP.NET is Alive and Doing well

IIS is more secure than apache. But it all boils down to programming.

asp.net is faster than php because php is interpreted while most of asp.net is already compiled to MSIL.

ASP is no way dead, right now i am going to learn it because my network manager want me to get use to it because my company have just installed sharepoint 2007, which i am involved with the setting up and admin side, ASP is used to create all the functions and also backend linked to SQL. Sharepoint is now the big thing for companies in the UK and there is a shortage of people who know how to work with it, so the few who know are picking up a lot of money. We had a consultant came in to help us impliment sharepoint on our server and the guy got paided £1000 a Day!!!!! So you see why ASP will not die. I have to admit that PHP is a bit easier to learn, i do a bit of freelance PHP programming in my spare time as well.
    Last edited by technoo; Jul 8, 2008 at 04:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by technoo View Post
    ASP is no way dead, right now i am going to learn it because my network manager want me to get use to it because my company have just installed sharepoint 2007, which i am involved with the setting up and admin side, ASP is used to create all the functions and also backend linked to SQL. Sharepoint is now the big thing for companies in the UK and there is a shortage of people who know how to work with it, so the few who know are picking up a lot of money. We had a consultant came in to help us impliment sharepoint on our server and the guy got paided £1000 a Day!!!!! So you see why ASP will not die. I have to admit that PHP is a bit easier to learn, i do a bit of freelance PHP programming in my spare time as well.
    If you are going to work with sharepoint, might I suggest you use ASP.NET. Their is more community support for development with ASP.NET and sharepoint. Plus you will have a shorter development cycle.
    'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'

Follow Me: @psybuck2002us