Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft ditches Windows Live Messenger for Skype

Default Microsoft ditches Windows Live Messenger for Skype

Microsoft has announced it intends to "retire" its instant message chat tool and replace it with Skype's messaging tool.

The news comes 18 months after the software giant announced it was paying $8.5bn (£5.3bn) for the communications software developer. Microsoft said Windows Live Messenger (WLM) would be turned off by March 2013 worldwide, with the exception of China. It reflects the firm's determination to focus its efforts on Skype.

WLM launched in 1999 when it was known as MSN Messenger. Over time, photo delivery, video calls and games were added to the package's text-based messages. In 2009, the firm said it had 330 million active users.
    BBC

I figured this would happen when Microsoft announced they were buying Skype

Yep. Let's see how Skype now holds up.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

I used to be an ardent user - till they started to integrated everything in it. All I wanted was the MSN Messenger, instead over the years they were giving me pretty much everything that everybody else was doing.
    ShadowWolfe, signing off *salute*
    /user has permanently disconnected from the Animus.

Can't wait for the merger,waiting for the version 6.0.73.123. Great move Micorosoft. let's hope they do not kill us with more ads.
    I stop using WLM from 2009 too much spamming and i switch to yahoo messenger since then along with skype
    Currently: HP Touchsmart 14t
    SM-G935FD - S7 Edge dual sim: Android 7 Official
    The 3 C's in life: Choice, Chance, Change. You must make the Choice, to take the Chance, if you want anything in life to Change.

Quote Originally Posted by Dre' View Post
    Can't wait for the merger,waiting for the version 6.0.73.123. Great move Micorosoft. let's hope they do not kill us with more ads.
    I stop using WLM from 2009 too much spamming and i switch to yahoo messenger since then along with skype
    The merger basically already took place... They bn doing it since they bought skype.

Get the latest version and you will see the option to sign in with your Microsoft or FB account.

I am on 6.0.0.120 and I am signed in with my Live account at work

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Yep. Let's see how Skype now holds up.
    Shouldn't have a problem as long as Microsoft doesn't mess with someting that was already good. Many business use skype as their phone system. Especially for remote workers
    Last edited by King_Jay16; Nov 7, 2012 at 10:30 AM.

Too late Sir.... I have been using the metro UI version for a while now and it does have ads in it... there's an advert there at start up but it goes away after a few minutes... not so bad in my opinion. Also the ads aren't consistent so they don't come up every single time
    Mobile Device: Google/Lg Nexus 4
    Desktop: MSI 785GT E63 Motherboard/AMD Phenom II 555 X2 (Unlocked to B55 X4) AM3 CPU Cooled by COOLERMASTER Hyper 212 Plus/EVGA NVIDIA GTX260(dead after 4 years of ardent service. R.I.P./2 x 2Gb OCZ 800MHZ DDR2 Ram/Corsair TX750 PSU/NZXT Tempest Case

Quote Originally Posted by Yung_Hero View Post
    Too late Sir.... I have been using the metro UI version for a while now and it does have ads in it... there's an advert there at start up but it goes away after a few minutes... not so bad in my opinion. Also the ads aren't consistent so they don't come up every single time
    use the desktop version... haven't seen any ads on either versions of mine

Quote Originally Posted by King_Jay16 View Post
    The merger basically already took place... They bn doing it since they bought skype.

Get the latest version and you will see the option to sign in with your Microsoft or FB account.

I am on 6.0.0.120 and I am signed in with my Live account at work

Shouldn't have a problem as long as Microsoft doesn't mess with someting that was already good. Many business use skype as their phone system. Especially for remote workers

I have the same version, maybe its because i never sign out why i don't notice the change. It just have a Windows 8 "modern" UI. I see no Ads either
    Currently: HP Touchsmart 14t
    SM-G935FD - S7 Edge dual sim: Android 7 Official
    The 3 C's in life: Choice, Chance, Change. You must make the Choice, to take the Chance, if you want anything in life to Change.

I have the same version, maybe its because i never sign out why i don't notice the change. It just have a Windows 8 "modern" UI. I see no Ads either
    Logout and you will see the option on the right.. You can join your skype and Live account when you sign in using your hotmail/live/outlook.com email. However i suggest that you clean up your contacts before doing so.

Back in the day before Microsoft acquired Skype I found it to be simple and basic in its functionality. However lately after being defiled by Microsoft it seems so like something out of a toy box riddles with ridiculous bloated features and addons.
    "Every step we can take to secure ourselves from a government that no longer respects our privacy is a patriotic act." .. (whistleblower Edward Snowden)