Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norton and Avast are merging into an $8 billion antivirus empire

Default Norton and Avast are merging into an $8 billion antivirus empire

NortonLifeLock and Avast are merging in a deal worth more than $8 billion. The deal will see NortonLifelock acquire all of Avast’s shares, and create a much larger cyber security firm. “With this combination, we can strengthen our cyber safety platform and make it available to more than 500 million users,” says Vincent Pilette, NortonLifeLock CEO. “We will also have the ability to further accelerate innovation to transform cyber safety.”
    Read more: https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/11/2...urity-software

Who uses antivirus still in this day and age?
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Avast purchased AVG. Now Norton is buying Avast. Interesting.

I use an AV (Norton) since it has family controls that I use for kids. Most of their products now come with dark web monitoring - and I've gotten alerts about old passwords and leaks.

The average user NEEDS an AV. They go on torrent sites and other questionable sites looking for content - and usually find stuff they're not looking for. Part of it is being cheap - part of it is they don't want to be left behind in the technology scene - and part is they underestimate what it takes for persons to actually find the software and provide it to them.

Linux/Mac users don't need an AV. Windows average users do. Microsoft Defender does a basic job, but something more robust is required - especially with ransomware.

If you know how to handle infected files - you don't need an AV. You can sandbox stuff and get it sorted. You can isolate it on Linux/Mac. You can use a live environment. There are options.

The main question I'd have is - will Norton be keeping a free AV available?
    Last edited by khat17; Sep 4, 2021 at 09:11 PM.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Average users go on torrent sites? Wow. I must have been the real old school average user. I only knew about torrents thought IT colleagues who were pirates. Then I start seeing it popup on gaming sites to download their large games.

But I agree with you, the average user needs an AV.

Norton has to keep the free AV. I would think protection of PC's worldwide from viruses and malware is something more paramount than making a buck on selling AV.
    But we'll see what their plans are now that they dominate the AV scene.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

So Norton Grows..

I use AVG from the days of it being named Ewido Antispyware.. and for persons not interested in premium I drop on AVG free, adjusting it based on user expertise. I occasionally get a few thumb drives so and with ransomware etc, gotta have something looking when I am not
    _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _______ _ _ _
    *Intelligent people can take hints
    Preferred Phone OS: Android

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel View Post
    Average users go on torrent sites? Wow. I must have been the real old school average user. I only knew about torrents thought IT colleagues who were pirates. Then I start seeing it popup on gaming sites to download their large games.
    Trust me. "There is no knowledge that is not power." And "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing."

I see users that have no idea how to access their email or remember their passwords install uTorrent or BitLord or some other thing - jump on the current free torrent sites - not even the good ones - and infect their systems. Many times they do get what they want, but the popups and other hoops to jump through usually gets them.

Quote Originally Posted by nevintech View Post
    So Norton Grows..

I use AVG from the days of it being named Ewido Antispyware.. and for persons not interested in premium I drop on AVG free, adjusting it based on user expertise. I occasionally get a few thumb drives so and with ransomware etc, gotta have something looking when I am not
    That was millions of years ago. Norton and McAfee are the two giants from back in the day. I still have an old Windows 95 Norton Utilities CD that I had purchased. Good times. Good stuff.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

I use AVG free on my Win10 laptop ... just because. No AV on my MacBook.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

I never knew Avast purchased AVG. Anyway I hope whichever one a user uses they have a good experience. I have never used Avast but I have used AVG back in the day until they were so good any more but apparently they are back to being very good protection. I hear that Norton is good now as well, less Mcafee like in recent years.
    I hope the AV companies continue to improve.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Avast purchased AVG. Now Norton is buying Avast.
    I trust Avast and AVG, but I don't trust Norton. I'll stick with my paid version of Kaspersky and the free version of Malwarebytes.

My opinion of Windows 10 S is to literally make malware impossible as everything has to come through the "certified" Microsoft Store.
    HTML Code:
    PM or link me                              Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 SM-N950F
    CompTIA A+ Certified                       Laptop: Apple MacBook™ Pro
    ITIL v3  Certified                         Tablet: DELL Venue 11 Pro
                 Apple is still the best  thing since sliced bread

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Mac users don't need an AV.
    I disagree since the past 2 years. Give it a few more months, and try saying the same thing again.
    There may have not been much incentive to write anything for Mac back then, but I feel it is time for them to start doing so now.
    I do have a paid version of Kaspersky on my older Macbook Pro although it hasn't found anything yet other than the Eicar test file I download from time to time.
    HTML Code:
    PM or link me                              Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 SM-N950F
    CompTIA A+ Certified                       Laptop: Apple MacBook™ Pro
    ITIL v3  Certified                         Tablet: DELL Venue 11 Pro
                 Apple is still the best  thing since sliced bread

Quote Originally Posted by NOKIA 3650 View Post
    I trust Avast and AVG, but I don't trust Norton.
    From my perspective it's not a matter of trust, I think Norton will do the job it's expected to do. However, my experience waaaaay back with Norton is that it's very bloated and resource hungry. That may be different now, but the taste is still in my mouth.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com