Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Harddrive space being used up unknowingly

Quote Originally Posted by dtgo
    ... something else is using ma space and its not a worm
    I wouldn't be too sure about that. It could be a worm that your apps are unable to detect. Go to task manager and check for and disable any abnormal processes running. Do the same with startup items by running msconfig. Does this space 'vanishing' happen even when you are disconnected from the net?

Quote Originally Posted by lovepython View Post
    the last time i saw an issue similar to that it was a strain of the brontok which duplicates every file on the system and gives it an .exe extension.
    nah im brontok free. i kno the brontok by name an source code it cah mad fi show its face on ma machine again lol... i dnt even need an anti virus to kill him

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCryptoKnight View Post
    Have you tried looking for data hidden in alternate data streams?
    intresting find ...... ima llook into it ......thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aldayne View Post
    I wouldn't be too sure about that. It could be a worm that your apps are unable to detect. Go to task manager and check for and disable any abnormal processes running. Do the same with startup items by running msconfig. Does this space 'vanishing' happen even when you are disconnected from the net?
    nope it stays gone but what i do kno its internet related space doesnt go unless im on the internet ......... i dnt have to watch movies ..i dont even have to have a browser open
    i used to think the internet cache files were stored somewhere else other than the intended folder till i found out firefox had its own cache folder .... even wen i cleared that ( which was 500 mb) half of the space lost was still gone.

it could be a worm but its a dam good evasive one
    self proclaimed GADGETking
    berries useful but sometimes make me sick, apples are better but cliding, so im not part a the fruity alliance heres my bbpin:null
    make the link (876) 386-0468 or dtgo4eva@gmail.com--

Quote Originally Posted by dtgo View Post
    is thats ur solution

are u serious i run regular scans almost every day an i have 3 antiviruses that do not pic anything up .......... something else is using ma space and its not a worm or crap cache files ..........

nooone here knows . but id not like to reinstall for it to happen again

yea thats an option in disck cleaner ........ im almost fed up cause everyday i have to run it wen windows pops up the icon .........
    today i watched no movies and it was at 1gig now its at 200 mb

yes im dead serious either u get a new harddrive or clean reinstall u cud try updating the virus protection ur using
    try using a programme called trojan removerif u need it i have a copy u can use

in case u have tried this, do a scan with an online scanner and see if anything turns up
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/d....htm?s_cid=sah

i have had experience where i scan with a resident antivirus and found additional things with the online scanner or things that the resident one didnt. so its worth a try.
    To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says: "Leave no stone unturned." Edward Bulwer Lytton

Default part of the problem solved

i think i solved part of the problem

i downloaded this app called windirstat some time ago and it showed me that some of ma disk space was taken up by a .rpt file apparently it took 2gbs of disk space as shown here

and when i clicked to see what the rpt thingy was i noticed that its cause by guess who lol

yep the antivirus and its event logs ....... i have no idea why it has to take up so much space ........ anyways thats part of the problem that is solved because i still loose space while connected to the intenet so back to the drawing board again
    berries useful but sometimes make me sick, apples are better but cliding, so im not part a the fruity alliance heres my bbpin:null

Did you do what i suggested about task manager, checking for illegal processes running?

Quote Originally Posted by Aldayne View Post
    Did you do what i suggested about task manager, checking for illegal processes running?
    umm i tooka look but everything looks pretty standard .......... how do u verify that a process is illegal tho ... just asking because i didnt really pay mind to that b4

on an average i have 50-53 processes running ........ and most are ma laptop utilities . bluetooth and wire less alone have 10 processes and othe misc stuff that come with the sony vaio so i dunno ........ most or the processes there or pretty much waht has been there .........even b4 the issue

nothing looks new

Normally i just look for the obvious processes that cannot be associated with a genuinely installed app. For the startup items via msconfig, if the item is unknown then i check the path where it is executed from upon startup. Maybe you can put up a screen shot perhaps.

in that case every thing is normal .......... but is it normal to have like 53 processes running tho ....my system is not slow so its not an issue but is that normal ill soon send u the screenshot

Yes, it is possible to have that many processes but when you post the screen shot we will get a better look.