Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HHHEEEELLLLPPPPP!!!!!

Default HHHEEEELLLLPPPPP!!!!!

Hey,

I am kinda new to the languages that are now being used.

I used to write programs in

GWBASIC
    QBASIC

these are now extreeeeemmmllllllyyyyyy old.

I have dabbled in..

pascal
    Foxpro
    and Visual Basic

(but I remember nothing in these)

If i wanted to pick up back programming, what would be the easiest language to learn and what route do I take in languages till I am proficient in several of these languages?

(note I am not a slow learner)

Default Re:HHHEEEELLLLPPPPP!!!!!

It seems to me that the best way for you to get back in the game is to start off with what you already know/knew. I suggest Visual Basic; it'll allow you the flexibility and simplicity of the Basic language syntax with a subtle hint of OOP. Once you've gotten the hang of VB, you'll find yourself being able to program in VBSript and ASP, so it's a "twofer".

If you'd prefer more of a challenge and not be spoilt by the same flexibility and simplicity that VB provides, then go with C. Many other languages share the C syntax and once you've gotten the hang of it you'd be more prepared to jump right into these languages (a la PHP).

Choose from the above, once you're confident in your skills, then move on to a Server Side scripting language (ASP, PHP, JSP, CF), as this is where many development projects are taking place these days.

Good luck with your re-entry into the dark world of coding.

It would probably be good to start with a language that is .NET compliant. I recommend you taking up C# if not, then VB .NET (both come in Visual Studio .NET). You could also consider Java.

After this then go to a server side coding language (I recommend PHP).

If you want to get on the Object Oriented train really fast...
    learn Python (zero cost to get all the tools you need) plus you can learn Linux while you're at it.

For learning web stuff, PHP... it's the most used web language and can be coaxed into to behaving in an Object Oriented fashion plus when version 5 comes out people will wonder what the other weblanguages are for (except for persons using python)

That's my extremely Biased Opinion.
    for more biased opinions visit
    http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?s...46&tid=156

.NET? AHHHHHH.....IT BURNS!!!!! EEEEEVILLLLLLLL!!!!

What about Perl?

[quote author=RobyG link=board=10;threadid=639;start=0#msg4576 date=1051391048]
    It would probably be good to start with a language that is .NET compliant.[/quote]

Isn't .NET abit too much to start out with?

Please do not misunderstand me. .NET is just a framework.

Programming in a language that is .NET compliant does not mean that you have to even touch the .NET framework. There are many languages out there that are now .NET compliant such as Perl, Delphi, VB, COBOL, etc being used by some programmers who do not even have an idea what .NET is. In other words, a programmer can choose not to use the framework libraries, etc

I am just looking at the long term investment in learning one of these languages since .NET may be a way of the future and which of course makes you more marketable.

I like the development environment of .NET. being marketable is a good thing as well.

If you're interested in .NET development visit http://www.go-mono.com