Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flow capping p2p downloads?

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_WOW View Post
    lol? are u ppl on crack? u guys ever thought that the p2p jus cant dish out the 8mb? I have my 5mb connect, and I use rapidshare (i have an account) and download manager and I get MORE than my 5mb.
    yep rapid share is the best site to dowload from and upload too....i dowload 1GB in less than a minute from rapidshare
    If you have time to whine and complain about something then you have the time to do something about it

...and speaking of performance, has anyone run across a recent p2p/router shootout? I know Small Net Builder did one a few years back but I haven't run into another one recently. I bring this up because from personal experience I know that the router can significantly impact network performance when certain apps are used.

Back when I was still with C&W on ADSL, I once had to test a couple of routers. In order to simulate the environment they might eventually be in I switched the ADSL router [SpeedTouch w/5.x firmware] from routed to bridged mode; this shut off the internal routing functions to let an external device handle those chores (DNS, NAT, QOS etc.)

For simple tasks like web browsing, ftp, email, there was very little difference (until the number of simulated users was ramped up of course.) When it came to session-heavy BitTorrent, it was a completely different story though. At the time I think I was testing a cheapy D-Link DI-604 and either a D-Link DGL-4100 or DGL-4300 (D-Link's meatier gaming routers.) The gaming routers were much more capable of handling the increased number of revolving connections and able to sustain more open/active connections. Not unexpected but what surprised me is how well the SpeedTouch held it's own.

Now keep in mind this was only with a 1mb connection so imagine what now happens when the router has more bandwidth to manage. For most people posting here it probably isn't an issue. I would imagine most using the WRT54G for example have already applied some form of 3rd party firmware which helps alleviate a number of issues, including the out-of-the-box lackluster P2P performance. Still, something to consider when configuring your P2P settings.

Quote Originally Posted by jestro View Post
    use this config: global max num of connex: 600
    max num of connected peers:300
    num of upload slots per torrent:30

do not max out ur download speed: set it to 90% of actual speed
    Ok I've applied these settings...gonna watch and see if I get any improvements...
    To Know, Dare, Will and Keep Silent.

also, u need to open up a port on ur router to get optimal speeds and more

this site has guides to over 95% of the major router brands on the market. just follow the instructions on site for your router brand and watch ur speeds in torrents grow

http://www.portforward.com/english/r...outerindex.htm
    i love my country, but i fear my elected officials
    Call me on 3538447.
    topdogclu @ hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by kev007_2002 View Post
    also, u need to open up a port on ur router to get optimal speeds and more

this site has guides to over 95% of the major router brands on the market. just follow the instructions on site for your router brand and watch ur speeds in torrents grow

http://www.portforward.com/english/r...outerindex.htm
    Nice! The Flow Router/Modem is there too

http://www.portforward.com/english/r...TM552index.htm

digimon Guest

THanks for the guide guys

This thread can probably help determine if capping is taking place
    Help Azureus to Fight BitTorrent Throttling ISPs

By using the plugin...you will really see what's up. CW Barbados does capping. Maybe CWJ does it also.
    The trouble with learning from experience
    is that the test comes first and
    the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by hv_thugg View Post
    you guys need to remember all though u get 5mb from flow its not each individual have 5mb connection its actualy shared in the community so its gona fluctuate at times.
    That's not correct. Bandwidth is not shared with other users. If you have 5MB, you get 5MB, if you have 8MB you get 8MB. If connections were shared then people couldn't max them out and as has been seen people do max their connections.
    The answer you seek is *+5,2*3,2
    Check out my blog: http://rants.andreobrown.com

Quote Originally Posted by hv_thugg View Post
    you guys need to remember all though u get 5mb from flow its not each individual have 5mb connection its actualy shared in the community so its gona fluctuate at times.
    Quote Originally Posted by nder View Post
    That's not correct. Bandwidth is not shared with other users. If you have 5MB, you get 5MB, if you have 8MB you get 8MB. If connections were shared then people couldn't max them out and as has been seen people do max their connections.
    I think what he's trying to say is that it is a shared infrastructure network. Which is true...but this only becomes an issue if Node Centres are over populated pass a certain share ratio. With Flow being a HFC network...it not so likely.
    The trouble with learning from experience
    is that the test comes first and
    the lesson afterwards

nder, your statement is false, as coax cable is a shared medium. Bandwidth is shared on all the coax that leaves each fibre node. The reason each person gets the full 5MB and 8MB is because there is enough spare bandwidth (at this time)to support such speeds on each node. I can guarantee you that if all the homes in your neighbourhood connected to the same fibre node are each maxing out their connection at the same time, you may not get your subscribed speeds.