Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Flow blocking SMTP Ports now?

Quote Originally Posted by rodalembs View Post
    Yes, Based on my Understanding of this similar porcess (using Exchange), the SMTP domain of the user can be check as well as verfiy authenthication on the SMTP server (mail.flow.com).

Based on the above then, this would not work.

As said before, this is a common practice for ISP's. If we put it into perspectivce, it is like a company having it own SMTP server and leaving it up for "open relay".
    they'd most likely allow that if they're blocking port 25, for those ppl who don't have an alternate port to send out on . Based on the email they sent out it looks like you can do it as long as u authenticate with the SMTP using ur flow account credentials.

Quote Originally Posted by rodalembs View Post
    Yes, Based on my Understanding of this similar porcess (using Exchange), the SMTP domain of the user can be check as well as verfiy authenthication on the SMTP server (mail.flow.com).

Based on the above then, this would not work.

As said before, this is a common practice for ISP's. If we put it into perspectivce, it is like a company having it own SMTP server and leaving it up for "open relay".
    I am not asking if it can be done. I am asking if it has been done.

I am a bit surprised that they started out using their mail server as an open relay. That is one of the first things you learn when you are setting up qmail on Linux. By default, qmail does not allow relaying to take place.

Here is a quote from "Life with qmail" http://www.lifewithqmail.org/lwq.html

What is relaying? It's when an MTA accepts a message via SMTP that doesn't appear to be either for a local address or from a local sender.

In the pre-spam days, it was common for MTA's to be configured as open relays: promiscuous servers that would accept mail from anyone, for anyone.

Most MTA's now are configured to either completely disable relaying, or to only a allow certain trusted users or systems to use them as a relay.

Chris Johnson has written a very nice document on the topic for qmail users. I encourage you to visit http://www.palomine.net/qmail/relaying.html.
    This link http://www.palomine.net/qmail/relaying.html has a nice overview of relaying for those who are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock View Post
    I am not asking if it can be done. I am asking if it has been done.

I am a bit surprised that they started out using their mail server as an open relay. That is one of the first things you learn when you are setting up qmail on Linux. By default, qmail does not allow relaying to take place.

Here is a quote from "Life with qmail" http://www.lifewithqmail.org/lwq.html

This link http://www.palomine.net/qmail/relaying.html has a nice overview of relaying for those who are interested.

I think they used the technique mentioned in your link where they'd only allow relaying for people on the Flow network unless they authenticated. Before all of this happened their Tech Support told a client of mine that they could use the server from whereever as long as they authenticated.

Quote Originally Posted by CyVan View Post
    I think they used the technique mentioned in your link where they'd only allow relaying for people on the Flow network unless they authenticated.
    What I've observed is that as of right this moment they are limiting the the use of mail.flowja.com to devices physically connected to their network (similar to what C&W does) but they are NOT authenticating outgoing SMTP with email credentials or domain checks.

It makes sense they'd do this from the point of view that not everyone that has a Flow account has a Flow branded email address. They still have not made the creation of a default email account a part of the sign-up process. They've omitted domain checks because they've blocked port 25 but need a way for clients using external mail services to get their email out - not everyone will have the option to use alternate ports.

I'm actually not sure why they would even bother requiring SMTP authentication unless they are going to allow you to send email through their servers when you are off-network.
    Last edited by Goucham; Apr 6, 2008 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goucham View Post
    What I've observed is that as of right this moment they are limiting the the use of mail.flowja.com to devices physically connected to their network (similar to what C&W does) but they are NOT authenticating outgoing SMTP with email credentials or domain checks.

It makes sense they'd do this from the point of view that not everyone that has a Flow account has a Flow branded email address. They still have not made the creation of a default email account a part of the sign-up process. They've omitted domain checks because they've blocked port 25 but need a way for clients using external mail services to get the email out - not everyone will have the use of alternative ports open to them.
    Thats strange because the form I signed up on had a section for putting in my desired email address/user names on the 2nd page.

Goucham isn't saying that the option to create a desired email address isn't on the form, he is saying that filling it out apparently isn't mandatory.

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    Goucham isn't saying that the option to create a desired email address isn't on the form, he is saying that filling it out apparently isn't mandatory.
    Precisely. I signed up over the phone last year and at no point during that conversation did the question of email accounts come up. Well, that is not entirely true as I did ask but was told I could call and create one after installation. It was still not a requirement up until at least a few weeks ago because a friend of mine who recently signed up over the phone was never asked about email. This is in contrast to C&W where the creation of an email address is integral to the process; they can't establish your account without one.

It is just one of those oddities of the Flow experience that they really should get sorted out sooner rather than later. I can't think of a single ISP that doesn't establish an email account as a matter of course when taking on new customers. It avoids situations like this one where some people will get the notification about SMTP blocks but many won't simply because Flow has no way of contacting them other by telephone.
    Last edited by Goucham; Apr 6, 2008 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock View Post
    This is a common technique that ISP's use. Basically you need to enter your user name and password before you can receive mail. You also need to enter your user name and password before you can send mail.

In practice, people just check their incoming mail before they send any out. The authentication re: the incoming mail allows the outgoing mail to be sent out.

The authentication will allow you to send mail for a specified period of time. After that time has passed, you need to authenticate again.
    I googled a problem that I was having today and got this techja result
    Big up Jamrock
    this post helped alot