Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC game developer has radical message: ignore the pirates

Default PC game developer has radical message: ignore the pirates

The way to make money in the world of PC gaming, according to Wardell, is to make sure many systems can play your games, while continuing to make them attractive. Find a market where people want to buy and support the games, and don't go by what the magazines and the blogs seem to think are the big name titles. Don't let people who aren't your audience control the titles you make, and ignore piracy. This is much like Trent Reznor's strategy, although the execution is different. Instead of worrying about pirates, just leave the content out in the open. The market Reznor plays to will still buy the music; he's simply stopped worrying about the pirates. He came to the same conclusion: they weren't customers, they might never be customers, so spending money to try to stop them serves no purpose.

"The reason why we don't put copy protection on our games isn't because we're nice guys. We do it because the people who actually buy games don't like to mess with it. Our customers make the rules, not the pirates. Pirates don't count," Wardell argues. "When Sins popped up as the #1 best selling game at retail a couple weeks ago, a game that has no copy protect whatsoever, that should tell you that piracy is not the primary issue."
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...e-pirates.html

I agree 100 percent with this. The people who are pirating games, movies, software and music are not customers, they may never be customers, so spending money to try to stop them serves no purpose.
    404 error: Signature Not Found

The downside to whats stated here is that it increases costs for legitemate consumers, and PC game developers will eventually go bankrupt. I still don't feel that open-source will solve issues like these (in the long run).
    HTML Code:
    PM or link me                              Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 SM-N950F
    CompTIA A+ Certified                       Laptop: Apple MacBook™ Pro
    ITIL v3  Certified                         Tablet: DELL Venue 11 Pro
                 Apple is still the best  thing since sliced bread

Where did he mention open source ? Which does not mean FREE anyhow..

Give me a game I enjoy, and cash not withstanding I will buy. I used to buy DC games, and SNES Games, I buy PC games too. I have several DS games that dispite the existence of (Censored) which would let me play free, I still buy them.
    Let Them Hate, So Long As They Fear.
    You do not know whereof you speak,and your words are empty things.
    Listen and gain Wisdom.

http://twitter.com/nestersan

Quote Originally Posted by NOKIA 3650 View Post
    The downside to whats stated here is that it increases costs for legitemate consumers, and PC game developers will eventually go bankrupt. I still don't feel that open-source will solve issues like these (in the long run).
    Putting copy protection on adds to cost. he makes a good point... they may never be consumers so why waste money on them! The only pc game i going buy in forever is coh. I wouldn't be buying any of these games i pirate and never finish anyway.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

Yeah, I play em and get bored and delete them halfway through..
    Let Them Hate, So Long As They Fear.
    You do not know whereof you speak,and your words are empty things.
    Listen and gain Wisdom.

http://twitter.com/nestersan

Quote Originally Posted by maf3000 View Post
    The people who are pirating games, movies, software and music are not customers, they may never be customers, so spending money to try to stop them serves no purpose.
    This should be in my sig... I played and enjoyed far cry, and for this reason, i'm gonna buy crysis, (as soon as I have a gpu that can run it) If the game deserves support, then support it...

LONG LIVE PC GAMING!
    Click the link if you would like to see a solution to the problems that face humanity; war, hunger, poverty and suffering, crime, inequality, control, corruption and all the other things that negatively affect our planet. www.thevenusproject.com and www.thezeitgeistmovement.com

Well they left out that the real way to make money from games is via online features. I learned a lot from playing Silkroad Online and one of them is make the game free and addictive then bam, fling in an item mall so the people who are addicted would have to buy stuff to keep up with others in the game, etc. It's all about how you market the games actually.

The only Company console wise I can think of that should be the least pirated is of course Nintendo.
    Current Android - OnePlus 7T Pro
    PC Specs - Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560-PLUS | Processor: Intel Core i5-11600K (stock) | Memory: 32 gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200mhz | Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4070 (OC Edition) | Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming 27" 2K Monitor | Steam ID -> Powpow

I agree with the title, but for other reasons.

Some youths don't have any money, but they will get there hands on a game some way.

Others have money. A good PC game can cost $20 US (+ shipping + tax = about $1800 Ja) That is a easy cost to pay for a game that you like, rather to worry bout downloading and burning or buying a burnt copy that errors. I know I would buy, more so I get the manual. (Eg. DiRT costs $14.99)

One of the problem is JA prices. When the same game would be in a store for 4 or $5000. The profit made on the game is more than what the developers get. This increases the level at which one considers himself to not have the money. Thus seek alternate means. Even a person selling a burnt copy is selling for no less than $2000 without manual using a generic disc. I would like to go in a PC store and see just one 1 copy of DiRT for $2000.

I would encourage Developers to keep their price reasonable as well. The may sell more legit copies, even to consumers who are not die hard fans but still like the game and would legitmately play online. Case in point is UT3 which cost $49.99. That kind a steep, ouch. Maybe $25 US would be more attractive, dont you think? $2300 JA markup, wouldn't that sell like hot bread? Bear in mind the popularity of the game would grow as Jamaicans would want to combat each other for fun, increasing the pool a possible consumers and fans. Maybe the real consumer buy a copy for himself and distribute copies to his close friends who would never buy it. And he can easily make back a money at $300 a copy to friends.

If the person is not a fan then he would not be a consumer. He would download a copy and then just loan the disc to his friend that asks for a copy. He would not even bother to try sell to his friend and get money to buy an original or get more people involved in playing the game.
    Let's act on what we agree on now, and argue later on what we don't.
    Black men leave Barbeque alone if Barbeque don't trouble you

Even with all the protection dem ALWAYS pay crazy money to put on dem games, we still play them....dont we?
    Phenom II X4 955 (3.6Ghz), HD 4670(soon upgrade), AM2+ gigabit board, 4gb DDR2, cant afford any 3 yet....

Quote Originally Posted by crosswire View Post
    I would encourage Developers to keep their price reasonable as well. The may sell more legit copies, even to consumers who are not die hard fans but still like the game and would legitmately play online. Case in point is UT3 which cost $49.99. That kind a steep, ouch. Maybe $25 US would be more attractive...
    I was gonna ask you how you came by the conclusion that it game wasn't worth $49.99, then I looked on steam and saw Unreal Deal Pack:
    • Unreal 2: The Awakening $9.95
    • Unreal Gold $9.95
    • Unreal Tournament 2004: Editor's Choice Edition $14.95
    • Unreal Tournament 3 $49.95
    • Unreal Tournament: Game of the Year Edition $9.95
    Individually, all these games would cost $94.75 but they can afford to sell the entire package for $59.95. This goes to show that developers can more and sell their games for less than $50.
    .:] ^ [:.
    .:] Game IDs: xfire_ropy | BC:BC2_ropy | BC: 2142_ropy29 | BF3_ | steam_ropy09 | LoL_ropy09 | Origin_ropy29 [:.