Thread: FlashBack

Default FlashBack

How many people remember the fdiv bug with the original intel 486CPU, or missing math co-processors... and other such wonderful snafu's. Not many. I remeber sometime ago the hardwar clans decidedly backed Intel in such a way that it seemed intel products were ULTRA stable. The only CPU's that I know of to be ultra stable are motorola processors that run MAC's. But I digress. The following article explains something I meant to post a long time ago but never botherd. I had the thing on my visor, and when I synced to pc a while ago I saw it and remembered it. So here it is.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1022686,00.asp

Basically Intel has discovered a bug in a small number of its new 3.0GHz Pentium 4 processors, and has halted shipments of the processor to customers. Interesting no !!
    This only proves one thing AMD users and Intel users are ALL equal. Not that AMD cpu's ever had such ugly bugs on a frequent basis, who remembers the microcode bugs in the pentium 2 chips ?. Anyways the point is AMD or Intel... its just a bloddy cpu. Whereas AMD cpus can die from heat, Intel CPU's can be built with bugs... Now in my opinion for if I bought an Intel CPU for soo much money it better come bug free.... I'd rather have a cheap CPU die., so I can buy another. Now this does not exhonerate AMD chips from their fair share of garbage. The Heat issue with AMD chips HAS been a huge object of controversy. But what I have been noticing is that American and Birtish overclockers and gamers seem to preffer the hot tempered chips for a simple reason. (1) AMD has not threatened to clock block their cpu, as Intel will do in the future. (2) Building an elaborate case and modifying powersupplies (CASE MODDING) seems to be a HUGE hobby. It give some people something to do. Hell you don't CASE MOD an intel box for cooling. Not to say the least, there a re some people who get a rush from running Water blocks in their PC. A literal radiator for the PC. All that being said. ADvantages and Disadvantages exist with both brands of CPU's and at the end of the day what is relaly important is the ability to use the damn computer. This post is a bit late... but i hope it still says something.

http://www.casemods.com

--regards
    Simon

AnotheDigitalArchitect.

Default Re:FlashBack

Now that's something that I didn't know...Interesting too. I wonder if any one have exploited that hole as yet? I'm sorry for those who ran and got this chip on first release.