Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hardware/ gadgets you regret buying

Default Hardware/ gadgets you regret buying

What are some of the hardware/ gadgets you regret buying, whether because you found a cheaper alternative after the item was purchased, the item was of poor quality and broke soon after you bought it, didn’t function as expected, or just plain lame and didn’t worth the money you shelled out for it.

Click the link if you would like to see a solution to the problems that face humanity; war, hunger, poverty and suffering, crime, inequality, control, corruption and all the other things that negatively affect our planet. www.thevenusproject.com and www.thezeitgeistmovement.com

Those are FREE....you can put in an email address and they mail them to you
    Let Them Hate, So Long As They Fear.
    You do not know whereof you speak,and your words are empty things.
    Listen and gain Wisdom.

http://twitter.com/nestersan

Let me post for nester. I am pretty sure he regretted buying this: http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32246

"The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

I reget nothing, those sold for a handsome profit.. I still get emails from propective buyers!!
    Let Them Hate, So Long As They Fear.
    You do not know whereof you speak,and your words are empty things.
    Listen and gain Wisdom.

http://twitter.com/nestersan

LOL... Nester, if you had such a link, why not share?
    I 'm gonna overclock the damn thing... that should boost its performance

Darkangel, what about you, you posted nothing...
    Click the link if you would like to see a solution to the problems that face humanity; war, hunger, poverty and suffering, crime, inequality, control, corruption and all the other things that negatively affect our planet. www.thevenusproject.com and www.thezeitgeistmovement.com

Oh I got one, especially for any history buffs. An internal SCSI SyQuest SyJet(tm) drive. Sure it has been almost 10 years but I still die inside a little whenever I think about it.

Back in the day, before 1TB hard drives, 8GB USB flash memory and DVD writers, imagine a heady time when the Iomega's Zip Drive was fast becoming the replacement for the floppy and their direct competitor, SyQuest, owned the DTP market with their SyQuest Disk. The world was looking for the next big thing(tm) in portable storage.

Enter the SyQuest SyJet drive. A small drive with a 3.5" removable cart that was capable of holding a then astounding 1.5GB and capable of operating at near HD speeds with low CPU overhead (particularly through a SCSI interface.) All was right with the world... until errors came <insert maniacal laughter here>.

I'll spare you the gory details but the long and short of it is that the SyJet became the crack in the dam that precipitated the flood that drowned SyQuest.

(R.I.P.)

I regret buying my 30gb ipod photo ..... they came out with the ipod w video the very next week
    Intel Pentium E2160 clocked to 2.3- Gigabyte 945GCM-S2C- 2 x 2048 DDR2- 160gb WD sata, 640gb WD sata and 250 gb maxtor external hd -Vista Ultimate - 2 20x's dual layer Dvd burner one with lightscribe- 9 in 1 card reader - AverMedia UltraTV 1500 MCE TV card and Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512mb in a Antec 300 iPhone Ping iD fortis4eva

Quote Originally Posted by Anaarki View Post
    Darkangel, what about you, you posted nothing...
    Oh sorry, how rude of me

1. Wanted to upgrade to USB2.0 so I bought a PCI USB2.0 host controller card w/ the brand name Encore. The damn thing didn’t work after weeks of trying. Went out and bought another card (in a different box- with no brand name), same thing. After inspecting the cards carefully I realize they looked pretty much the same, with a same problem prone VIA chip. I suspect it was the same manufacture but different brand names, almost $2000 down the drain.

2. RCA universal remote I bought at Courts. It had no code that worked with my radio, stereo, or even my RCA DVD player. It only operated my TV set, but only partially, as a number of buttons didn’t function including the menu button. It was not a product defect, it was just probably outdated. Now I realize it makes no sense buying a universal remote that don’t have learning capability.

3. BenQ wireless mouse. The range on this thing is like 2-3 feet, and from time to time it would lose connection to the receiver and I have to press the reset button for minutes on end to get it to reconnect. I’m still using it now attached to a radio antenna to boost the range. Next time for sure I will buy a Logitech wireless mouse.

4. Iomega external CD burner. This was more like a coaster maker, that was the only thing it does best. This represent my biggest regret because this device cost (I think) almost US$200, this was like back in 2000-2001. This burner also caused me to lose a little "contract" to burn music Cds for a man who had nuff links with people in the music and sound system business .

5. Coby brand products *sigh * don’t get me started. I just avoid them totally, they are cheap for a reason. I have yet to come across another electronics company that produces consistently poor quality products like Coby, you name it, DVD players, headphones, MP3 players etc. the worst! Been hearing about defective motors in the Coby DVD players for sometime now, had to replace a defective motor last year, expect to get another one later this weekend to fix. I suspect that Coby and Precision brand DVD players are selling like hot bread at Courts lol
    Last edited by DarkAngel; Mar 10, 2008 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nestersan View Post
    Those are FREE....you can put in an email address and they mail them to you
    Huh? Not seeing anything like that. lol
    Lover of Technology, period!!||Currently loaded: Samsung Galaxy Note 10+