View Poll Results: What structure should the Programming forum take?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Proposed redesign of the "Programming" forum

Default Proposed redesign of the "Programming" forum

In keeping with a suggestion from Xenocrates, the administrator of TechJamaica has decided to seek feedback from board members on proposals for a redesign of the Programming forum.

Please select from above based on your preference. This pole is not closed to non-programmers however please do not make a selection unless you fully understand each option.

Default Re:Proposed redesign of the "Programming" forum

I voted to have the forum remain as is. While one can easily see Xenocrates point, one must also appreciate that this site does not only cater to programmers and as such the forum need not be singled out built upon.

Any individual forum currently on the board could easily be subdivided.

Hardware
    - Motherboards
    - Processors
    - Accessories

Software
    - Windows
    - Linux
    - Mac

Games:
    - Computer Games
    - Console Games
    - Handheld

You get the idea. The reason no one has resorted to this is because it's understood that a general forum caters to all topics and as such segregation serves no purpose.

However, this is only one point of view, please give your feedback.

I'm not really a programmer, but I see more value in language-specific forums like C/C++, Java, ASP, PHP, etc. I'll let the programmers speak ;D

Only after reading Xenocrates post, did I get an understanding of why you would want a change. But I had already voted.

Maybe quoting or posting a link to Xeno's post would help persons making a better decision, after reading both parties point of view (CKnights and Xeno's).

Sorry about that Arch_Angel, I've edited CKnight first post to include the link, hope he's cool with that .

I'm assuming you're in favour of Xenocrates' suggestion and would have chosen the first option had you read his post before, so we'll *mentally* keep track of that vote for option 1 and deduct it from the last one. As you can expect, we can't edit people's votes, that wouldn't be right now would it? ;D

I think segregating the forums is the next logical step, as the site in general seeks to expand and attract more active users, but why stop with the language specific forums, I say subdivide the entire forum as outline in Cknight's post above. Having a plain old general programming or a general hardware forum etc.. seems too wide and does not serve to stimulate user participation and besides segregation adds to the organisation of the forum in that you wouldn't have discussions on various programming languages all mixed up in one forum.
    What will be required next however is greater participation on the part of the members, and for the moderators themselves be more pro-active by coming up with new and fresh ideas or any idea for god's sake to stimulate discussion in the respective forums, at least that may contribute to people wanting to come back.

[quote author=DarkAngel link=board=10;threadid=616;start=0#msg4416 date=1050718923]
    but why stop with the language specific forums, I say subdivide the entire forum...[/quote]

Well this, to me, seems to be a better approach. A restructuring of all forums to eliminate the "General" aspect as opposed to singling out one forum which currently does not even get the bulk of responses that other more popular forums receive.

Anyway, this poll is in the Programming forum, let’s keep focused on that for now.

Keep the thought process going…any more ideas?

Well this, to me, seems to be a better approach. A restructuring of all forums to eliminate the "General" aspect as opposed to singling out one forum which currently does not even get the bulk of responses that other more popular forums receive.
    It may not be necessary to eliminate the "General" aspect for every forum. I get the impression that the others work well.

Xenocrates' concern, as I understand it, was specific to the programming forum. He argues that if we make some modifications, it may be possible to attract some users who have specific interests. It is all about market segmentation. Diversify your product across different market segments instead of selling one product to everyone.

As a non-programmer, my interest in the forum is at a vey high level. I have questions about programming in general. Is it possible to keep the general forum for people like me and add the other language specific forums for people who will carry it to a deeper level?

I would definitely find it interesting to read how people solve specific programming difficulties. After all, I have to install and support software on my networks. It does help to understand how programmers think.

Is it possible to keep the general forum and add the language specific ones? I have not seen this option on the poll.

I tend to support the concept of a general forum. I find that while my personal skills are not such that I would consider posting, the general aspect of the forum places topics in front of me that I might not look for/read if they were funneled into language specific sections. Perhaps an alternate solution could be to maintain general posting but let the forum sysops cross post appropriate items to language specific sections as well as keeping them in the general section

We are definitely keeping all existing general forums.

In my mind, the question or issue is narrowed down strictly to the programming forum, ie. do we keep the existing structure with the general programming forum alone or do we add language specific forums (C/C++, Java, etc.) to the existing general forum? Eliminating a general forum or specifically the general programming forum would not only exclude non-programmers from asking language independent programming questions, but also exclude programmers from discussing language independent programming topics.