Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ivan Experience

Default Re: The Ivan Experience

As soon as JPS turned off the power, i could only get hot 102. this tells me that the other stations dont maintain any form of backup power at their transmitters over here in the west. this cause me to wonder when they say u shld buy battery powered radio when we nearly most never have any radio station to listen to -- there shld be a law! anyway kudos to hot 102 and c&w -- great coverage by both over the period. i now try to listen more to hot102 programming out of gratitude but its just not my type of radio

Quote Originally Posted by BeachJamJm
    As soon as JPS turned off the power, i could only get hot 102. this tells me that the other stations dont maintain any form of backup power at their transmitters over here in the west.
    i heard ppl callin in from that section of the island during the wee hours of saturday mornin for dorain of rjr to comfort them. I was on my varandah waitin for the lightening and thunder until mins after 2. they didnt show up so i went to bed. here in kgn i had all the radio stations through out the hurricane, however, i still have no light at home.

The Ivan Experience - Banshees from hell

Jamaica was raped by Category 4 force winds for over 8 hours. 8 excruciating, sleepless, frightening, terrifying, hours of nearly 200 decibel volume howling. The howling was so loud and terrifying, that any attempt to sleep was immediately quelled by the vile sould of a million banshees assaulting the island from the very depths of hell, screaming with furious vindication. It sounded as if Jamaica was being attacked by every demon in hell, who was screaming on top of their voice for 8 LONG TERRIFYING HOURS. For those of you old enough to remember when Gilbert "Turned Back", imagine that part of Gilbert when it "Turned back" assaulting the island for 8 hours, and you will get a close picture of what I'm talking about.

The winds were so terrifying, that everytime you heard rain drops actually make successful contact with the surface of your roof, you felt a short, sweet sense of relief - I emphasize short, since this only happened for fractions of a second at a time. For if the rain drops could successfully touch the ground, then the winds were not blowing strong enough. It was as if the Hurricane was torturing us relentlessly, giving us a false sense of hope that the worst was over. This happed for what seemed like several hudred times per minute, rendering anyone with a weak heart in a state of emotional distress. It is easy to suffer a nervous breakdown if you were not already asleep. The sound of the hurricane is probably it's intended payload. For if that sound was actually matched with the eye's traversal across the land, I'm not certain I would be writing this to you now.

On Power 106, a woman called in about the sound of the hurricane. Dorraine Samuels asked who was that woman screaming in the background, as she was concerned that a death had occurred in the household. She was informed that the screaming she heard was not a woman, it was the hurricane. Do you know how bone-chilling and it is to hear the blood-curdling sound of a woman screaming at 200 decibels just outside your door?

Pray that you will never have this experience.

The Ivan Experience - It's annoying tenacity

If you were brave enough to venture outside and look up into the sky, you would see a thin, but frightfully beautiful layer of low lying clouds hovering just above the tallest of trees (when they managed to attain some level of uprightness). The thing is this layer of "clouds" were no clouds at all:

It was the rain that was trapped in a low-level simulation of the jet stream. Can you imagine wind moving that fast? It's a terrifying but awe-inspiring sight.

Ivan literally sat still on Jamaica and didn't budge. In the 9th hour, the eye finally moved from below Kingston, and settled again under Rocky Point in Clarendon for another 6 hours. The next 12 hours had the eye of the storm taunting the fragile coastline of southern Jamaica like a giant kid with a magnifying glass who was hell bent on systematically eliminating every form of life that dwelt in the ants' nest by slow burning each individual ant. The storm stood over Jamaica for over 24 hours, yet the eye never hit land. It was as if it knew that if the eye hit a land mass large enough, it would loose power and dissipate. So it kept the eye out at sea and powered itself up, while the resulting storm bands pounded Jamaica like a heavy-weight boxer powering through a worn out punching bag.

If the eye did hit land, I assure you, no level of preparedness would save zinc house dwellers from certain homelessness or death.

No storm or Hurricane in history has been able to maintain a category status over 3, over LAND, for more than 6 hours. None. Not Gilbert, not Hugo, and certainly not Andrew.

This Hurricane is clearly a monster of wholly different proportions. The fact that it exists is only a telltale sign that something terrible is brewing in our atmosphere. No hurricane should be able to do what it has done this past week.

This has officially become the most active hurricane season in recorded history. Don't let your guard down. Breathe a sigh of relief while you can. I have a very bad feeling that we aren't quite out of the woods just yet. The National Weather Service in the US is tracking 3 storm systems in the same latitudinal region at the same time. It's like this is a hurricane family convention and we're stuck in the middle of it. God, this is going to be one hell of a season.

you guys beat me to this, but I was strapped down due to the STARM; no misspellings.

I live in Paradise, mobay, my story is comming up soon, and I got pics

You know, I never thought Ivan was that scary... I was more scared during Gilbert. But I guess people in different locations will have different perceptions of the event.

No man, Ivan was worse! Those gusts of wind all through the pitch black night was terrible It would probably have felt better if it were during the day.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

just to say.. i survived.. have to camp UWI for light.. and the net is back here as well.. no damage
    The sword of the Spirit is a mighty 2-edged blade || Re-arranging my life for Christ!

C&W has restored Internet connectivity now. All I need is for the muddy NWC water to clear up.

I must admit at the beginning I was pretty anxious for the arrival of hurricane Ivan but then when I went on the road to get my preparations and saw the looks on some people faces, I knew this was a very serious storm. As I watched tv the night before and saw the areas that would be extremely affected by the storm, I started to worry for the people and started praying that would make it to a shelter. I then heard of the "pre-looting" before the storm which was most upsetting. I knew that a lot of people would take advantage of some communities damaged by the storm. . The police did a good job in securing some communties tho. I thought once the criminals heard about the police foiling some plans of looting that they would cease but oh no they continued.

Anyways, as soon as the light went, the howling of the winds began. The windows were boarded securely and the front door shut tightly and all four of us sat in the living room awaiting the passing in the night. I took one or two peeps through the small windows with my flashlight and saw the trees dancing wildly in the rain. Then I heard tiles off my roof dropping one by one with loud crashes. I tried to get to sleep but it was hard sleeping through the noise and see the curtains fly up and down as the wind passes. It was really scary. Thank God the phone lines were working and every hour or so I call my fiance and family for comfort and checking up on them.

As soon as the storm was over, my fiance and I drove around taking some random shots of some of the damages around the area of Mona. They weren't as bad as other areas in Kingston and the other parishes but with that noise we heard the night before, we had thought it was a lot worse. My room was leaking a little bit and water came through the front door but we are grateful.

Here are some pics we took:

Last edited by kaotik; Sep 15, 2004 at 01:34 PM.
    If you doubt your power you give power to your doubt.