Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ivan Experience

Default Re: The Ivan Experience

Now I heard the next door neighbours shouting at us to find out if we were alright now, we also shouted our throats back at them during IVANS Howling sounds!! Everyone seems fine except for the chickens and the ducks that were frightened by all this. We had a chicken coop and duck pen in our back yard so I was now wondering if Ivan took them with him. I was eager for morning to come so I can see .I did not sleep following that loud sound which woke me up so I went back to listen to the radio.Dorraine Samuels was back on speaking to the meteorologist which stated now that the eye of the Hurricane seems like its going to circle the Island and not enter land.

Morning came as the rains continue to fall with heavy winds. I looked through my window and to my shock I saw our ENORMOUS ACKEE THREE ON THE GROUND! Part of it was also resting on another ackee tree and yes it was bringing down the chicken coob with it. If it wasn’t for that other ackee tree the chickens would be history and also it could have fallen on my room but thank GOD it was in the middle of the back yard!!

As the day progressed we heard that Ivan was heading to the Western Side of the Island and stories came in one by one of deaths. We continued to have the rains and breeze but it definitely was not like I experienced late Friday night going into Saturday morning.

Me and my peeps went outside to inspect the house for any damages, thank God there was none except for a couple of leaks and minor flooding of the house. We notice that another one of our trees this time a Big Guava tree which was one the ground, some of its branches was resting on the neighbours roof which was later taken care of. Many Gun shots was also heard early in the morning I believe it was the policemen and the looters.

Sunday Sept 11th 2004 was recovery day for us in Kingston. my family and I had a lot of cleaning up work of the yard to do as it looked like a jungle. It was muddy with water tree branches here and there and we had to put this place in proper order. We decided before to clean up to visit our neighbours and see if all was well. One neighbour iron gate was flattened courtesy of her monstrous pear tree it also ripped apart the concrete fence.Guys I wish I had a digital camera to take some photos !!! We also heard the news of looting of shops in the community.

The cleaning up process started and people it wasn’t easy. I had cutlass in my hand chopping up tree branches and moving back and forth putting everything on our sidewalk. The neighbours was also busy doing the same. Now our biggest problem was that enourmous ackee three, we had to get a chainsaw. Luckily in the later part of the day there was a guy going around everyones houses with one .We asked him how much money we should pay,he said it was dependent on the size of the tree as everyones price was different anyway that was it for that three. Phase 1 of clean up process completed!!

My family and myself did phase 2 of the clean up process today Monday Sept 12th which was a half days work unlike Sunday which was a ton load of work. Guys I cannot believe me accomplish so much. Right now mi hands dem full a corn!! I missed the computer and the internet and visiting TECHJA daily. But thank God my family and I are doing well. We had running water during the Hurricane although it was dirty and our telephone was up props to Cable and Wireless.We were able to contact family and friends during this period. Our light just came back and you could hear the cheers through the area echoing that moment is PRICELESS!!!

I will never forget this IVAN EXPERIENCE .Well its back to the office on Tuesday!! Sept 14!!! MY PRAYERS WITH YOU GUYS I HOPE ALL IS WELL AND WITH THE PEOPLE OF CAYMAN ISLANDS AND THE REST OF THE CARRIBEAN AFFECTED BY IVAN “THE TERRIBLE” AKA “THE TERRORIST!!
    Last edited by ProdMaster; Sep 15, 2004 at 11:19 AM.
    Vision without Mission is Daydreaming!

Greetings fellow TechJamaicans. Man it feels good to get back online

God was certainly good to us. He diverted Ivan's eye south of the island and spared us the full brunt of the storm. True, plenty damage was sustained still, and lives were lost (I think the count was at 11) but it could have been worse, and by the talk around, Gilbert did more damage over all than Ivan.

Most places are without power. My area is one of those fortunate enough to have gotten it back since Sunday night. Since Saturday night, Internet Access has been cut for Cable and Wireless customers. From what I hear, their undersea fibre data link through Cayman was damaged by Ivan. Right now I'm using a Netcard pre-paid Internet account from Infochannel. Infochannel uses VSAT (satellite) to connect it's customers to the Internet rather than an undersea fibre link.

As power is restored to the rest of the island, you will see your fellow TechJamaicans logging back on. Keep them in your prayers, as some may face challenges getting things back together after this hurricane.

All the best guys, and thanks for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers.

BCK

good to see you guys back online, wicked stories!

... in the absence of chris the site owner, as well as other jamaica-based moderators, i hereby declare myself INTERIM PRIME MINISTER OF THIS WEBSITE.

my first law will be that 50% of all sales of the "I SURVIVED IVAN" T-shirts will be routed directly to MY POCKET. hmmm .. i like that idea for a tshirt .. lookout for it ;-)

Prod that was an interesting and funny account of your Ivan experience. I am glad you and your family, chicken and ducks are all safe. I wish I was there to experience it myself. I hate the destruction that hurricanes bring, but I can't help liking hurricanes, at least the 1 I experienced which was Gilbert.

I have to say kudos to Power 106 for keeping us so well informed, especially those of us living all over the globe. I listened to Power from Friday evening to midnight and then all of Saturday.

Well Fisrt off I must say "Thank GOD I Survived IVAN"
    Hopefully my fellow techjamaicans will also have goods news to relate as well...

My IVAN experience was a bit uneventful for the most part due the fact I stayed indoors all weekend from Friday until Sunday....

From what I saw on TV before the lights went it was a very horrific scene...
    Examples like the Pallasodies Strip leading to the Airport with 7 foot waves...
    Places like Harbour view near the seaside that was totally devastated...

From reports so far a confirmed number of 15 people have been reported dead, 8 in one household alone....Prayers go out for thier families as well as those who lost thier lives as a result of this hurricane...

Ivan was a nightmare
    It was the first time in years i ran to mom's room to cuddle.

gunshots.....banging sounds, antenaes walking down the street, more gunshots, my gotel isdn receiever was rescued from a tree 2 avenues away, my dog (brown and white alstation munglrel mix with a bright red collar ) is still missing, all small trees and shrubs seem to be on their knees in one direction Paying humage to Ivan who was indeed terrible

got a drive to work earlier and passed winward road and there is a stretch of about 6-10 blocks where every shop/bar/barber/restaurant/garage etc was looted on both sides

Zard
    Last edited by Zard; Sep 14, 2004 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zard

got a drive to work earlier and passed winward road and there is a stretch of about 6-10 blocks where every shop/bar/barber/restaurant/garage etc was looted on both sides

Zard

BLOUSE AND SKIRT!!!

Jah know, the man dem nah ramp...

I'm glad to see the Jamaican based TJ ppl back online. At least my heart can get a bit of relief for my countrymen.

Like AngelKiss seh, i wish i was there to give support but for all who had/have it ruff, may God's blessings shine on you.

And on behalf of the foreigner dem...(and with your permission Mr. Interim President Sandor Sir!!) I want you guys down there in JA to publicly pass on the word that Hot 102 and the Jamaican Gleaner were instrumental in keeping us foreigners intune with what has been happening. KUDOS to them both; and KUDOS to C&W
    ( - did i just say that! - ) for keeping the phone lines open.
    Contrary...Very Contrary!

excellent stories so far....

btw tropical storm jeanne is gaining strength from being a tropical wave yesterday to storm rating today at 50mph winds....just passing the eastern carib isles on the way to puerto rico now.....

Friday Evening: the winds started... lots of heavy gusts. Frightening at time but were not as sustained as my memory of Gilbert.
    Friday night: winds heavier with more rain... I went to sleep. Tired I guess but confident all would be well (Yea I slept in the middle of the Storm)
    Saturday: More rain... Well I had to get up now. and clear a drain and wide a trench as the torrential showers bucketed down and threatened to flood the yard.
    Sunday: look around clean up a little went up in the hills to see the damage...

Awards
    -----------
    Power 106 FM
    - Free and great coverage during the storm. This radio station calmed many a nerves. (Was hot 102 FM online?)

The Gleaner
    --------------
    - Carried up to date coverage and pictures (missing in action for a while. Back up Monday evening

Cable and Wireless
    -----------------------
    - The owner understands the yard Bmobile and the landline stood up and so did the Internet connection until Sunday morning...

The C&W GPRS card I was using some of the time.... sweet I will get one now. and a good laptop.

The police did well and ODPEM had a plan, yeah it had flaws but things were happening.

Although were I was not bad I grieve for those you suffered more than I did in Jamaica

Light is not back, CW Internet is down, the water is muddy...

Give thanks and praises though as if the Hurricane eye had passed over it would be another story.

Talking visit the website

Hey guys just thought you would be interested in looking at these pics from ivan www.blitzllc.com/ivan