Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ivan Experience

Arrow The Ivan Experience

I left Jamaica for a 10 day business trip the Tuesday before Ivan hit. I didn't even know it was coming until after I was in Illinois, so as you can imagine I was very worried about the friends and family back home, and I spared a few thoughts for my machine and other tech stuff as well .

Throughout all of Thursday, Friday and Saturday I lived on the weather channel website and cable station. I called or IM'd all my friends and relatives to make sure everyone was hunkering down. If I could have I would have flown back to JA to be with them but that wasn't an option unfortunately.
    I had downloaded this weather program which allowed me to watch Ivan's track and get up to date weather advisories real-time, so I actually saw, with GREAT relief, when it started to turn away and keep offshore.

As of today, Monday, I've heard from a couple friends but I've lost contact with my father in St. Elizabeth, I hope he's ok and its just the phone lines down but I'm a little worried since our house was on top of the Santa Cruz mountains and it had barely survived Gilbert, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Its difficult to get calls into the island as I'm sure every other Jamaican in the world is trying to do the same thing I am .

I don't think power or net access is back up yet for most people in the Island but let's get the Hurricane stories going for those people who are able to post. Right now its most likely people like myself who just had to watch/listen and pray but hopefully by the middle of the week we can start gettting the first hand accounts

Default Re: The Ivan Experience

i got through to my family there around mid-morning yesterday and they made it through ok. just that i haven't been able to get through since that .. phone circuits constantly busy.

i think too, cwjamaica's internet connection which was up throughout the storm actually went down on saturday night because i haven't seen only one person in jamaica online on msn since that time .. and he was using kasnet but having problems.

I spoke to my friends and Family on the Fri, Sat, and Sun...and all made it through with the minor structural damage. But like Cyvan, i too sat by the weather channel, and the news stations. And on the night before (sat) i tuned in to Hot 102 live stream via the Gleaner's website. So i got the Jamaican report up to the time Ivan hit. But from what i heard, light (power) hasnt been restored (up to sunday), and i havent seen anyone online myself.

There is no doubt that Jamaica will recover more quickly from this than they did Gilbert, but nonetheless, it was a horrific experience - made worse by the fact that i wasnt there with my family and friends.
    Contrary...Very Contrary!

it was a horrific experience - made worse by the fact that i wasnt there with my family and friends
    yeah, i really feel a way that i wasn't there to help out .. and that i missed the whole drama too!

i been in touch all along, even through the storm and they switched off the power to prevent electrocution.

the airports were meant to reopen on sunday but that is moved forward to today...dunno if they did that. due to the power problems....

they are trying to access areas which are cutoff due to fallen trees and broken roads.....the priorities are for these....

also, they are making safe, all the broken wires due to trees. this means the power will stay down until then.
    because of these broken cables, many services like phone etc are switched off for repairs.

from what i understand, the boys n gals are working hard to clean up...so have a lil patience....dem soon come back.....

the south got a lot of wind but its the rain that should concern us....the clouds only just moved away recently and you know how yardie ppl stay...dem haffi bust big chat how dem nearly dead before no work gwaan

so keep the faith they are just keeping ppl safe from the accidents that normally occur after the event....

Smile Re: The Ivan Experience

Quote Originally Posted by deakie
    you know how yardie ppl stay...dem haffi bust big chat how dem nearly dead before no work gwaan

Tru dat still. I guess By Saturday, Ivan will be no more than a new song for Lovindeer!!!

As long as the massive from TJ can bounce back. All is good!
    Contrary...Very Contrary!

I read on Yahoo today that something like 98% of Jamaica is still without power. I still haven't heard from a Jamaican member of some forums I run (non-techie forums). Hopefully all is well with everybody there.

Default IVAN "The Terrible" aka "The Terrorist"!!

My story soon come stay tuned..........
    Vision without Mission is Daydreaming!

Cool Re: The Ivan Experience

Prod, u beat me to it. I actually read this thread about 7 hours ago, but didnt get the chance to reply @ the time. Den mi deh ya a write dis long old ting & by the time I post it, u seh sumen already, so likkle editing had to be done.

I live in Catherine Hall, Montego Bay. Altogether, Ivan wasn't that bad in terms of devastating effects. Most of it is like fallen trees & a couple of power lines. Our electricity was cut off Friday afternoon & after what seemed like eternity we were reilluminated Sunday night. For the most part, water supply was intact as well, 'cept for a few hours on Sunday into Monday morning. Bigups to HOT 102, (aka Radio WAVES back in the day) d original mobay radio station that really represented, coz as far as I've heard, it was the only station available for the majority of the island. The crew did a great job, both with their storm coverage & relaxing conversation. Can see how they woulda really been good for a lot of peeps who had to endure the experience alone. Secondly, (& dis 1 is gonna bun all the haters, but u still have to give credit where it is due) to C&W, for not 1 minute of downtime thru the whole thing (well for most that is). I am, have always & will always be their biggest representer, even though sometimes I think about putting some powder on the back o my hand & pimpslappin 'em, but they really showed their class & superiority this time. They really are the bigger, better GSM network.

As I said, for me, it wasnt that bad, but others may not have such a light tale to tell. Prayers go out for those who have been affected & those who will be. Like T Rob seh, More Time

Ohhhhh, I failed to mention my displeasure @ the numer of radio stations that carried wrong reports during their hurricane coverage. How many times I hear seh Catherine Hall flood out & all kinda ting, yeah Barnett River is nearby & yes, it did overflow its banks but @ no time were we really in any danger of flooding.

Ohhhhh AGAIn, to those out there taking adavantage of a desperate situation, all mi a beg unnu a fi stop it. I doubt the message will reach directly, coz I doubt that anybody on TJ guilty of that, (or would like to think so) but if unnu know nebody dats gwaanin a way, tell dem fi TAP IT!!!

Unhappy Re: The Ivan Experience

MI LIGHT JUST CAME BACK YEAHHHHH!!!! THE AMOUNT OF CHEERING IN MY AREA YOU HEAR IT ECHO !!

I currently using Digicel Gprs to post this message. C&W net link is currently down.

Now the story begins..... On September 10th, 2004 at about 4:25pm all power from my area was gone. We had intermittent showers all day in Kingston, but it was nothing much to really say the hurricane had begun. Later that evening I had my battery placed in my radio in time to listen to the 6 oclock news they stated that the Jamaica Public Service Company had shut down the Islands power grid! So no one had electricity in Jamaica.

As I had dinner later in the night with my family we prayed and hoped we made it through this Hurricane. As the darkness came upon us we lit our candles and "Home Sweet Home lamps and went to bed. Going to 10pm Friday night the intermittent rains now turned to consistent rains. While I stared at the ceiling I had minor flashbacks of Hurricane Gilbert back then I was a little youth.

As time went by I had fallen asleep, all of a sudden I was awaken by this "BANGING AND HOWLING SOUND!!" I looked at my clock it was 1am Saturday morning, Ivan had entered Kingston and doing his wrath. From those sound I couldn’t sleep. I grabbed my walkman and tuned in to RJR, Dorraine Samuels,Simon Crosskill and the other TVJ AN RJR staff were commenting on the radio. They had people calling in to say that they were scared and couldn’t sleep, others were trapped in building and the list goes on.Some of the Journalist were also on the road reporting how the place looked during the hurricane uhmmm dem brave.

I myself couldn’t sleep, as I listened to the radio and kept looking at the ceiling hoping the roof wouldn’t blow away as it was Zinc! I kept myself half wake as I couldnt sleep with the enourmous wind sound and heavy raindrops and knowing that this was a hurricane. As I listened to howling of Ivan against my window, I couldn’t recall those sounds during my Gilbert experience.

Leaking started in my family and also my room so I and my uncle went outside to get some buckets BIG MISTAKE!! IVAN WAS LIKE A "WHEY UNNU A GO" Trust me that heavy breeze and rain beating against you body not a nice feeling.

Anyway we went back to bed after setting those buckets, now it was about 3:30am or so radio personality Jenny Jenny was now on the radio consoling and cheering up those frightened callers and finding out Ivan latest position. The meterologist stated that the eye would pass over Kingston and Hellshire Heights so he explained if we experience a 5-8 minute silence like the storm is gone its actually the eye so no one should go outside as it is dangerous.

I decided that I must get some rest so I forced myself to sleep. As I listened to the radio, all of a sudden I was awoken by a BANG!!! and loud sounds of the chickens and frighten ducks in the yard. The jump I made out of my bed was "PRICELESS" "Thought it was the roof now that went"

Ivan experience continues below............
    Last edited by ProdMaster; Sep 14, 2004 at 06:30 AM.
    Vision without Mission is Daydreaming!