Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Network Admin VS DBA

thats right man when these peopel hire yuh yuh better know everything is regualr is ee them seekign systesm engineer and if u ever see the roles them weh the sys admin haffi perform
    Dont hate ma game we all here for the same reasons,We here to get tha green paper throughout all seasons.C.R.E.A.M

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock View Post
    All of the Jamaican SQL Server DBA's that I know manage Windows networks also.

It is rare in Jamaica to find a company that makes a distinction between the various areas of I.T. Most the companies I work with hire someone who is expected to have a broad area of expertise.

I know people who write applications, do a little database administration, manage Windows networks and trouble shoot computer hardware.

I have only seen that type of specialization in North America. Not familiar with the European situation.
    It exists in Jamaica, but typically in larger organizations. If an organization takes security and IT governance seriously, then they will segregate the duties.

shane200_ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    I would stick with network administrator if I were you. Unless you love DBA gone to bed! DBA & Programmers are the first to go when outsourcing time come around! by the way if being CCNP is the only requirement for getting your job when you leave that makes me wonder!
    Just that my job ask for a little more than what the ccna cover. Base on what I see in Jamaica companies want one know who know ever little thing, I tell myself when I done my Masters and get to management I don't want my Network Admin to b doing the sys admin job or the programmer job. What he if that one main IT person should cut? you know what will happen?
    Last edited by shane200_; Mar 21, 2008 at 09:02 PM.

Thing i notice is that in Jamaican companies they want u know every little thing there is but they are not willing to pay you for every little thing. Its good to know every little thing because you are more marketable when it come on to job but when u get the job, the work load is a lot at some place.

I would rather be a DBA any day over a network admin.

Quote Originally Posted by pogi_2nr View Post
    Why you say that? wanna share your reasons?
    The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.
    Henry David Thoreau

shane200_ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pogi_2nr View Post
    Why you say that? I should take it that u a DBA

As been beaten to death above, those are two different horses in the IT race.

However, (I believe) a systems administrator (not Network Admin, specificially) provides the greatest breath of experience and garner the greatest degree of job security throughout most companies, any where in the world.

Reason?
    A (true) systems administrator must understand server installs, configuration and maintenance, (Active) Directory management, network (OSI-TCP/IP) support and (some degree of ) database administration.
    He/She may not design datbases and generate queries all day, but (at the very least) should be expected to maintain and repair the server they run on.
    He will be exposed to (RADIUS) Authentication and Security, Terminal, Internet/Web, Database, Messaging and File (and Print) servers.

He.she may not be setting up Routers and switches all day but must understand the rudiments of switching, routing and firewalls in order to TRULY maintain VLANS and to connect to WANS.

Any IT Manager/CIO worth his salt would sleep batter at nights knowing that he has an "in-house" Systems (Network) Administrator all the time and when necessary, outsource for a DBA, than vice versa.
    Last edited by Cylon Knight; Apr 8, 2008 at 05:08 PM.
    A likkle a dis, a likkle a dat an' every ting in-between.