Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Network Admin VS DBA

shane200_ Guest

Question Network Admin VS DBA

I am a network admin working for a company, I want to know if a DBA is higher than a Network admin and which one get more pay, I am lookin on changin over to Database Admin, eg in a Bank or fin.. company which one would be higher or salary?

TwistedPair Guest

Let me know when you leaving so I can apply for you job

Network Administration and Database Administration are two different fields so I doubt you could say if one is higher than the other. I will tell you this though, if you are hired as a DBA at a financial institution you are bound to be well compensated .

shane200_ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedPair View Post
    Let me know when you leaving so I can apply for you job
    If you have your CCNP I will pass ur resume to my boss if I am going to make a move.

Quote Originally Posted by shane200_ View Post
    If you have your CCNP I will pass ur resume to my boss if I am going to make a move.
    any avalable CCNA jobs in the organization?
    Last edited by Chucky_B; Feb 9, 2008 at 11:03 AM.

As noted before, you are trying to compare two different field jobs. What question you might ask, which one of these position gets hired faster. Being a DBA means you will be doing specific database management/operations, not many companies have these roles open.

Okay, why would you be leaving the Networking field for Database? Maybe you need to find your roots before looking outside.
    Be what's next!

Quote Originally Posted by shane200_ View Post
    I am a network admin working for a company, I want to know if a DBA is higher than a Network admin and which one get more pay, I am lookin on changin over to Database Admin, eg in a Bank or fin.. company which one would be higher or salary?
    Network Admin and Database Administrator are 2 different fields. The compensation you get will depend on the nature of the company and what they value/need more. By the way, when you say Network Admin, do you really mean network (routers, switches, modems, etc.) or do you mean "system" (windows active directory, Unix etc.)? Some people use the terms "network admin" and System admin" interchangeably even though there is a difference, and then in some organizations, those functions are merged.

In some organizations, the system/network admin also manages databases. This tends to be more likely when the databases are SQL Server databases, since the perception is that they should be easier to manage and don't require as much of a dedicated effort as other database platforms.

Both fields are good, and can compensate well. However, more people tend to gravitate toward the Network admin role than the DBA role, so there may be less competition in that field.

I know that good Oracle DBAs are in high demand.

shane200_ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by zandex View Post
    As noted before, you are trying to compare two different field jobs. What question you might ask, which one of these position gets hired faster. Being a DBA means you will be doing specific database management/operations, not many companies have these roles open.

Okay, why would you be leaving the Networking field for Database? Maybe you need to find your roots before looking outside.
    I have found my root is Network, you see that is why a lot of so call IT managers fail them only know one area of IT.
    I just started my Masters and would like to work in other areas of IT before I start Managing IT staff and not knowin how it feels been a DBA or developer.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCryptoKnight View Post
    Network Admin and Database Administrator are 2 different fields. The compensation you get will depend on the nature of the company and what they value/need more. By the way, when you say Network Admin, do you really mean network (routers, switches, modems, etc.) or do you mean "system" (windows active directory, Unix etc.)? Some people use the terms "network admin" and System admin" interchangeably even though there is a difference, and then in some organizations, those functions are merged.

clipped for brevity
    When I say Network Admin I am just talking routing and switching. I did my OCA last Nov.. and pass, also base on my role at the company I have to do a little sys admin work and DBA but most of my work is routing and switching.
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Feb 9, 2008 at 08:54 PM. Reason: merged multiple posts

I would stick with network administrator if I were you. Unless you love DBA gone to bed! DBA & Programmers are the first to go when outsourcing time come around! by the way if being CCNP is the only requirement for getting your job when you leave that makes me wonder!
    The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.
    Henry David Thoreau

All of the Jamaican SQL Server DBA's that I know manage Windows networks also.

It is rare in Jamaica to find a company that makes a distinction between the various areas of I.T. Most the companies I work with hire someone who is expected to have a broad area of expertise.

I know people who write applications, do a little database administration, manage Windows networks and trouble shoot computer hardware.

I have only seen that type of specialization in North America. Not familiar with the European situation.