Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why "Steal" Software When You Can Get It For Free

Quote Originally Posted by crosses View Post
    I'll stick to stealing OK!!! YAH
    i dont steal any still i just clicking to get what i want.....

Hijacking this thread. The original link was exceptionally good but it's been down and I can't find a cache or mirror anywhere. So here's what I'm going to be doing. Links will be added for each later on.

Threads were posted before and I'm going to be partly lazy about it. If you had something previously please add it so we can make this comprehensive.

http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/sh...-and-utilities

http://www.techsupportalert.com/

http://www.osalt.com/

http://www.completelyfreesoftware.com/

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/

http://www.econsultant.com/i-want-op...are/index.html

On top of those which were already posted let me add some stuff.

If you need to get stuff cleaned up off your drives use this thread.

http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/sh...ith-windirstat

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    This is a decent find. Will test it out. See some alternatives below tho.

WINDIRSTAT is good - Similar to KDIRSTAT on Linux. Totally free.

TreeSize Free does a pretty decent job as well. The Pro version is better tho, but I not paying for it with free alternatives.

FolderSizes is another good piece of software, but is gone payware. The free (older) version can be had online or from this link.

Space Monger is another good tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    First off WinDirStat is hands-down the winner. It's the best IMO because of the way the interface is done and it works on all versions of Windows from the time I discovered it (2008) till now. The only issue I'd say I have with this app is the time it takes on larger drives. Sometimes I don't want to spend long doing the whole search and go through so I've been looking for alternatives - here's what I've come up with.

1. WinDirStat - The best hands down. Nothing beats this. Can be extracted to run portably.
    2. WizTree - Absolutely lovely software. Portable version available. FASTEST scanning of NTFS volumes of all software I've tested.
    3. FolderSize - One of the better alternatives - has free and paid versions but overall not bad. Interface is OK but I still rather #1/#2.
    4. DiskBoss - This app gets props for being pretty decent. Free and paid versions available. Interface could use a little work IMO but still not bad.

The paid version of TreeSize is pretty good, but I not paying for that kind of stuff. For lots of different work I'd use #2 in the list but if I have time to sift through the data I'd use #1. Any of them in the list used with Everything ensures you take control of the space on your drive/s.
    Everything below has a portable version or can be made portable.

7-ZipPortable - Archive utility similar to WINZIP but completely free. Can handle multuple compression types. Original Site.
    Aimp2 - Media player similar to WINAMP.
    Anonymous ImageBoard Downloader - Used to rip images from image boards.
    Anti-Twin - Duplicate file finder/sorter.
    Atomic Clock Sync - Used with WinXP (can be used on earlier/later Windows) to synchronize clock.
    Bulk Rename Utility - Rename multiple files based on different settings/variables.
    BulkFileChanger - Used to modify the date/time stamp on files.
    CCleaner - Popular program used to uninstall programs and manage startup entries. Can also clear cache and temporary files.
    ChromiumPortable - Portable version of the browser CHROMIUM.
    Cubic Explorer - Windows Explorer replacement.
    Digsby - Application for connecting to multiple IM networs such as Yahoo, Google, MSN, etc.
    DuplicateCleaner - Similar to Anti-Twin. Both may be used together to help find and remove duplicate files.
    DVD Identifier - Old application which is now discontinued. Can be used to read media ID of discs to find who made it.
    DVD Shrink - Application for ripping DVDs to make them fit on DVD5 (4GB DVD).
    e-Sword - Bible program. Cannot be made portable. Reinstall over existing directory to keep downloaded books and comments
    Everything - Drive index software which provides instant results once all NTFS drives/partitions are indexed. Small memory footprint.
    ExactFile - Checksum verification.
    Executor - Similar program to LAUNCHY which allows running of applications without the start menu.
    Explorer++ - Windows Explorer replacement with multiple tabs.
    FileZilla - FTP program.
    FireFox Portable - Portable version of the browser FIREFOX.
    Flashnote - Note application which sits in the taskbar and can be brought up with keystrokes. Stores all notes in single database file.
    Format Factory - File conversion application for audio/video.
    Freemake Video Converter - Conversion software for audio/video.
    FoxitReaderPortable - PDF reader application. Original Site.
    Free Commander - Windows Explorer replacement with two windows (left/right).
    FSCapture - FastStone Capture - screen capture utility. Version 5.3 is the last freeware version.
    FSViewer - FastStone Viewer - image viewing and management application.
    Google Talk - Now called HANGOUTS.
    GoogleChromePortable - Portable version of the browser GOOGLE CHROME.
    HTTrack - Utility to copy websites.
    IrfanView - Image viewing application.
    IronPortable - Portable version of the browser IRON which is based on CHROMIUM/GOOGLE CHROME.
    jaangle - Music library management.
    KVIrcPortable - Portable IRC application
    Lightscreen - Screen capture utility.
    MediaMonkey - Music library management.
    mp3tag - Tag management software for audio.
    Media Player Classic - Home Cinema - Rebuild of MPC with more features. Supports DXVA H264 decoding
    NetMeter - Utility to monitor network activity.
    Notepad++ - Windows Notepad replacement with tabs. Supports programming language syntaxes.
    Opera - Portable version of the browser OPERA.
    PaintDotNet - Microsoft Paint replacement program.
    PDFTKBuilderPortable - Similar to the program PDFSAM which can split/merge PDF files. Original Site.
    PingPlotter - Utility for running ping/traceroute with graphical results.
    PotPlayer - Media player utility with internal codecs. Supports DXVA H264 decoding.
    Last edited by khat17; Aug 21, 2013 at 09:02 AM.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Continuing.

Q-Dir - Windows Explorer replacement with 4 windows.
    Qlock - Non-expiring clock utility to show times in different time zones.
    ReNamer - Utility to rename files based on various options available.
    RocketDock - Dock application which can be used to launch other applications dragged into the dock.
    SendSpace Wizard - Utility for uploading/downloading files from a SendSpace account.
    Shortcuts Search And Replace - Easily bulk replace paths for shortcut files.
    SkypePortable - Portable version of the application SKYPE.
    SMPlayer - Media player for various file formats. Front-end for MPLAYER which has internal codecs.
    Speccy - Utility to get hardware information without opening PC/laptop. Similar to BLACKBOX.
    Splash Lite - Light version of the media player SPLASH.
    Starter - Application for managing the various programs which run at Windows startup. Options to delete/disable/change variables.
    SumatraPDFPortable - Portable PDF reader application. Original Site.
    TeraCopy - File copy utility with CRC32 checksum verification option.
    The KMPlayer - Portable version of KMPLAYER. This player is discontinued and POTPLAYER is in development.

timecalculator - Application for doing calculations with H:M:S. Requires COMDLG32.OCX and comdlg32.dll to be registered to run. Uploaded by me since the original site is down.

TimeZone - Simple program for viewing the time in different time zones. Download Here.
    TrueCrypt - Application for creating encrypted volumes or encrypted drives/partitions.
    UltraSearch - Drive index software similar to EVERYTHING. Allows searching within specific folders based on what is added to index.
    Universal Extractor - Free application for extracting various archive types and possibly making EXE/MSI installation files portable applications.
    Unlocker - Utility to delete/rename files which are locked by Windows.
    Visual IRC - IRC application.
    VLCPortable - Portable version of the media player VLC.
    WinDirStat - Application for viewing the usage of a drive and which files take up the most space.
    WinMTRPortable - Similar application to PingPlotter but without the graphical display. Original Site.
    X-WinFF - Similar application to Format Factory. Allows conversion of various audio/video formats.
    XMediaRecode - Similar application to Format Factory. Allows conversion of various audio/video formats.
    XnView - Similar application to FSVIEWER. Used for viewing and managing images
    Ycopy Portable - Utility to copy any file/folder/drive contents without prompting for overwriting or skipping bad sectors/files. Original Site.
    Last edited by khat17; Aug 24, 2013 at 09:26 AM.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".