Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Techies, how do you know you are a good performer at work?

The fact is; no one is "safe" in any organization.. quicker you get that in your head chances are you wont slack off on the ppl dem work. I've seen it happen from the ground floor str8 to the top.

Doesnt matter how much million$ you pulling in for the company, if a company want chop some staff it will happen... ur performance "doesnt matter" at the end of the day

Quote Originally Posted by Virus View Post
    The fact is; no one is "safe" in any organization.. quicker you get that in your head chances are you wont slack off on the ppl dem work. I've seen it happen from the ground floor str8 to the top.

Doesnt matter how much million$ you pulling in for the company, if a company want chop some staff it will happen... ur performance "doesnt matter" at the end of the day
    That's not necessarily the case. If they get rid of "critical resources" then the company will suffer. I've seen that from top to bottom. So it's in the company's interest to cut only that which is really not needed.

Other scenario: You want a salary increase or a promotion. Why should you get it? How would you convince the powers that be that you deserve to step up?

Quote Originally Posted by Virus View Post

I think it does matter. If im bringing millions of dollars in my company, theres no way on Gods Earth that I would get laid off. Y? Cos im making the company MORE money that can pay me my salary. So y cut me??
    Just an average web developer.

well, my practical side would agree with you, if you are pulling your weight and making the company much money, then they shouldnt cut you.
    but its also a fact that IT is under appreciated and under estimated. managers can and do believe that to a large extent what IT does is simple button pressing and anyone can do it. also, if they dont know what you are doing, how are they gonna know that you are the one saving them money/bringing in money? if you are not marketing or sales, how do you let them know of your worth?
    second, personality and perception are very real. and i have seen where a supervisor or manager who doesnt like someone simply pressures them out of the organisation. you would like to think it isnt so, but people can and do kill golden geese every day and the larger the organisation, the more bold and prevalent the practice. the thinking is "there is no indispensable man". that and the chain of command. senior managers would generally rather lose a junior man who is more productive, than alienate the supervisor who maybe knows where the bodies are buried and can make senior managers life harder.
    read dilbert some time.. he knows what he's talking about.

as for me, how do i try to show good performance at work?
    try to be on time.
    try to do the work before me in a timely fashion.
    try to help people in the office and let them know i am approachable and here to help them.
    try really hard to keep my hands off the office shaggables.
    keep in touch with my manager and try to push his initiatives to my coworkers (no, i dont kiss ***. my manager has sense.. and he is the one reviewing my performance besides which, i am there to make him look good in the final analysis)
    let my manager know what i am doing and accept his guidance.
    GOOGLE EVERYTHING!!!
    continue to get more qualified.
    try being as nice as i can to the customers.... even the @$$h0l3z. even if i am tired.
    give my name to ppl. it forces you into the position of having your rep on the line, which increases your drive to complete. also means that when you are being commended by the customer (internal or external) they have a name rather than just praising the staff.

i think thats about it.
    Do nothing which is of no use.
    The Way is in Training.

Let me put it yet another way:

Do you techies have performance management systems in place where you work? Do you and your boss set personal goals and track your progress in reaching them? If not, how can you or your boss really be certain that you are performing?

In the absence of a formal method of tracking your performance, then determining whether you are a good performer or not becomes a subjective endeavour. Subjective endeavours can easily go against you.

At the start of every year, I have a sit down with my supervisor and we set goals for myself. The goals are then entered into the HR performance tracking system. In the month of October, I have to evaluate myself based on those goals that were set at the beginning of the year.
    I also choose 5 to 7 persons to evaluate me as well; these could be managers, colleagues, or customers. This evaluation is based on company’s mission statement. The outcome of this evaluation is a ranking among your peers, for example if you are a senior analyst; you are ranked among all senior analysts in your organization.
    The yearly bonus (up to 10% of annual salary) is based on three things, the performance of the company as a whole, the profamnce of your organizational unit, and your individual performance.
    During the year, we also have on the spot bonus; we have a system where a fellow employee can recommend you for a job well done, awards for outstanding achievements and such. I have gotten monies on a few occasions and a 32-inch TV once.

I'm a system/network administrator here, thrust me i do a ton load of work each day, night, weekend for my job. Not only monday to friday, my boss wont see this, but i just work for the experience, its fun working around computers and technology, it is fun to learn, i love it.

Me in myself though knows i'm doing a good job, design website fi dem, run network fi dem, for freeeeeeee. what i love now is that we just run a network of about 70 machines and its fun learning active directory, all the different GPO rights and privs on sbs 2003.
    Anyways, i really dont care if they think i'm performing or not, i love what i do and i do it good! I think they have an idea but they just dont know how much i do. my job is 24/7 366
    Google is FREE