12. You may not vote on this poll
  • CISCO

3 25.00%
  • AVAYA

5 41.67%
  • NORTEL

4 33.33%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PBX SYSTEMS..WHICH IS BETTER...NORTEL, AVAYA or CISCO?

Sherlock:

I would go with Avaya. I'm not saying Cisco isn't good but currently I know that Cisco Call Manager / Unity has bugs in it which Cisco is aware of but no ETA on a fix as yet & this issue has been found since Cisco Call Manager 4. Cisco is easy to setup, deploy & maybe cheaper than Avaya but from what i'm hearing about Avaya it is currently better than Cisco with a little bit more complex in setup & deploying. I myself have only used Cisco Call Manager & Asterisk ( currently just Asterisk but on a small scale ). If i'm not mistaken Fujitsu & another company in Jamaica provide support for Avaya. There is also the possibility of using Asterisk and interconnection your locations where Avoxi now Dow Network provides service & support.

Let me know what your thinking & decision as i know persons at both Fujitsu & Avoxi / Dow Network among other places.
    Dain Bramaged
    Google Voice: 954-779-6436

http://www.prolexic.com Now Apart of Akamai Technologies

I have some experience with IP-PBX systems, dude Asterisk is certainly worth looking into, think about it, a PBX as powerful as the server which it is hosted on, it is fully scalable and very user friendly with so many features i doubt u will have a chance to take advange of. Also it has 2 versions, the free one and an enterprise one which is fully online integrated. U can then after select your own handsets and program them using scripts. Also check out Trixbox, it is a flavour of Asterisk, but nicer interfaces...

that is..of course, if configuration and setup time/costs are not to be considered
    >>Insert something witty here<<

that is..of course, if configuration and setup time/costs are not to be considered
    I suspect that setup time/costs are involved in the other systems as well. Companies often pay third parties to setup Cisco and Avaya systems but try to setup Asterisk themselves.

Secondly, people often try to setup Asterisk without having the required background knowledge in Linux or telecommunications.

If you are looking for scalability, then i would recommend you go with asterisk. The features of this system are only limited to your imagination. I have personally deployed several asterisk systems and its simply amazing to see how this system works. I have used asterisknow, trixbox, but i really like doing everything myself, so i run centos and then install and configure asterisk myself.
    It's pretty easy to setup and its very scalable and it can connect tyo almost any other pbx systems.

You can link me up, if you need some more advise ot help.
    Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information on it.!!!

Not to divert off topic but how it your asterisk box running Andy_Shawn?
    Dain Bramaged

Quote Originally Posted by sherlock View Post
    Its funny you said that. It sounds to me as if your with C&W based on based on your mention of trade in. For the most part I am honestly trying to stay away from nortel on this one. The scalability of the operations makes me weary when involving C&W. They at times botch larger jobs as well as the cost tends to escalates with servicing and upgrades.
    C&W has IP pbx solution that offers you the ability to maintain your old handsets while migrating and is fully scalable. Give their Business solutions dept. a call.

There goes one of CWJ speech right there. Sorry Pogi_2nr not trying to make fun of you but merely your comment or more like defending them What Sherlock needs to do is a ROI with a Product Feature & Scalability and see what best fits his pockets & immediate needs.
    Dain Bramaged

Well dalybrian, i have setup several Asterisk systems. The last one i did was for a company that has two main offices, one in jamaica and one is the US, so what i did was purchase two dell servers, installed asterisk on both with tdm2400p analog card in both of them, then put on in the jamaica office and one in us office. Now when the user in jamaica want to make a US call, it is routed through the analog line on the US server and vice versa.
    I have my personal server here in jamaica, in which i have a few customer on it and i am giving them access to make and receive foreign calls. Its going pretty good so far.
    Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information on it.!!!

nortel has a new product on the market, it called LG Nortel ipldk-60, it has voip capabilities and the system can be easily expanded.........