Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Security Market in Jamaica

Default Security Market in Jamaica

I am a recent UTech graduate (well to be specific, I graduate in Nov this year) and I am thinking about pursuing a career in Security. I am currently employed as a programmer (doing a web programming project now), but really dont think I want to continue programming as my career. I like the scope of the security field (it covers everything!) and would like to get into it. My questions are:

1. What is the market like for security professionals in Ja?
    2. How much does a security professional get paid here? (Min to max gross salary monthly)
    3. What do I need to do to get a foot in the market? (I plan on doing CISSP Cert, but I need 3 years experience along with my degree)
    4. What are some firms that I could target for potential job in this field?

Also, I would like to talk with some individuals already in the field so feel free to add me to your yahoo messenger (nderjm)list. I'll get ICQ if any of you prefer that. I generally stay away from MSN.

Default Re:Security Market in Jamaica

Why do you want to get into Security ?
    What area of IT Security are you interested in?

IT Security is a new focus area in Jamaica. As such you may not find many companies who have clearly defined IT Security roles within their organizations. Those that do, tend to be the larger institutions. Most companies just incorporate IT Security as part of the function of the IS department (not necessarily the most effective strategy).

Your options for a career in IT security are:

- IT Audit at firms like Price Waterhouse Coopers, Deloitte and Touche, Ernst and Young.

- Consulting/implementation at companies like iSecurity Business Solutions, Fujitsu ICL, and Symptai consulting.

- Managing/administering internal security for an organization (financial institutions, telecoms, utilities etc.)

You'll need to decide what area of security interests you because the scope is wide. You could be involved in assessments/audit, management, technical implementations etc.

As for getting your foot in the door, start by learning about security. Do the CISSP even though you haven't got the experience yet. You can take the exam and be an associate. The important thing is that you learn. Learn as much about IT in general - programming, networking, OS, hardware. Those skills will come in handy. Learn about how business operates. Learn about people. Just keep learning.

And whatever job you find yourself in (until you get a "security job&quot apply the security concepts you learn to that job. If you code, code securely and make others around you aware of security concerns in coding. If you are a network guy, apply security to your network admin routines and spread the word. People will come to associate you with security, and you may find yourself transitioning into the role of "Security guy" offically

As for money, that all depends on where you work, what exactly you do, how good you are, and what you're being held responsible for. No easy answer there.

Thanks Crypto. Are you in security?

In answer to your question rodalembs, I chose security because I do not have one particular love in computing. I love it all. I read it all. I want a job that will require me to draw from and apply a large body of knowledge. Knowledge of programming, networking, operating systems, people and trends. I want to work on the bleeding edge, to keep pace with the news. I think that fits the bill of a security consultant. That and I like the ring to ethical hacker ;D

I'm definately leaning toward the auditing/consulting field. I want the diversity and freedom there. I don't want to be stuck at a desk on a routine 9-5 job. And I don't want to get into management (at least not yet), as right now I feel that would be a bore. Creating security policies and then sitting around and waiting for something to happen is not my cup of tea. I'm a free spirit that likes learning and doing new things.

I did a security specialization in my final year at UTech, so I have general ideas on the field. I just need to get my foot in the door and start somewhere.

Any tips on breaking into the corporate environs of the big guys? (pardon the pun :P)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCryptoKnight
    As for getting your foot in the door, start by learning about security. Do the CISSP even though you haven't got the experience yet. You can take the exam and be an associate. The important thing is that you learn. Learn as much about IT in general - programming, networking, OS, hardware. Those skills will come in handy. Learn about how business operates. Learn about people. Just keep learning.

And whatever job you find yourself in (until you get a "security job") apply the security concepts you learn to that job. If you code, code securely and make others around you aware of security concerns in coding. If you are a network guy, apply security to your network admin routines and spread the word. People will come to associate you with security, and you may find yourself transitioning into the role of "Security guy" offically
    I think he gave you his tips here

I read the tips, and I appreciate them. But what I meant in my last post was how do I get into those companies. I don't see any ads for junior security consultants in the papers :

Just to Add...

IT Security is such a broad field, and alot is still to be defined in the local context. Digital Forensics is a big thing in the US and it pays but it require alot of experince. I side with BCK in that you have to think secure in what ever are of IT you are presently involved in. One of the thingsi notice is that, alot of persons are driven into areas of IT because they hear that they can mek nuff money (I am not saying you). While this might be part of the attraction to IT one also have to realize the time, patience and effort it takes to ramp up one skills to a certain level. My point is Secuirty has to be your focus because of your love for the specialization because security can be alot of grunge work.

Quote Originally Posted by nder
    I read the tips, and I appreciate them. But what I meant in my last post was how do I get into those companies. I don't see any ads for junior security consultants in the papers :
    This might be because many companies are trying to come to and understading for the need for a secure IT infrastructure in the firstplace.

Thats true. I plan on sending applications to the companies that BCK outlined, specifying my interest in security. I figure nothing beats the direct approach.

I'm currently going into my second year at utech, and i decided i wanted to get into IT security from about three or four years ago. thanks for the list of companies, i have never seen ads in the papers. i think i will send in my resume. all though i know i have a ways to go and learn much more i hope to get a summer job actually practicing my profession to be.

To be specific i want to deal with firewalls and blocking attacks like DOS attacks. I am also very interested in Virus design, and trojans.

A question to peeps already in the field: should i gear myself towards using linux or windows? i know most servers on the net run on unix based OS's, but what is it like in JA?

sorry for the long post.