Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Professors Slam Java As "Damaging" To Students

Quote Originally Posted by leoandru
    Anyways My knowledge of C, C++ and assembly made me a much much better application programmer, especially when you truly understand how a system works you can program an application to take advantage of that knowledge.
    yup.. knowing the fundamentals always helps!
    Quote Originally Posted by leoandru
    I disagree with the professor, not all programmers are "system programmer" as a matter of fact most are desktop application programmers
    but you do admit it will help them.

Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    well to me programming is like learning to be a mechanic. If i was teaching someone to fix cars i would me sure they are drivers first. Let them enjoy the benefits of driving and complete functionality of vehicles then create curiousity of the inner workings. I would hate to fling him in the grease on the first day, repair a water pump the next,have him rebuild a transmission the third, then rewire the entire electrical system by the end of week. poor guy would probably never show up to work the next week.
    but if said mechanic stuck it out, he'd be able to pretty much work on anything after its done.

or another example, learning java first is like driving an automatic car without knowing how gears and the engine work together

whereas if you can drive a standard car, you can drive anything.

i think i agree with the professors, in fact Java is what turned me off programming

or maybe it was the lecturer
    >>Insert something witty here<<

I too was turned off from java when I tried it a while back, but I have come to the understanding that most if not all post C programming languages are based on C in some way or form... Understanding the fundamentals of C made it easier for me to learn other languages. If they had thought C first they wouldn’t be ranting right now... so they need to re-evaluate the organization of the various programming languages in their course(s).
    .:] ^ [:.
    .:] Game IDs: xfire_ropy | BC:BC2_ropy | BC: 2142_ropy29 | BF3_ | steam_ropy09 | LoL_ropy09 | Origin_ropy29 [:.

the professors are right. the tool dependancy is java's down fall. There is this expression called "eating your own dog food". Programming is not about creating objects - its about solving problems.

Quote Originally Posted by owen View Post
    Programming is not about creating objects - its about solving problems.

haha my professor always tell me that C++ is an "OBJECT ORIENTED" language. so what you telling me now....... dont create my objects
    The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.
    Henry David Thoreau

Default c/c++ is important

Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    To me programming in C++ as a beginner is "baptism by fire". .....professors should teach java,vb first then go to C,C++. thats just my opinion.
    I know you added your disclaimer stating that its your opinion...but surely...you can see whats wrong with the with this. C,C++ at its bare minimum teaches you the importance of logic and principles involved in programming, now i would say yes most people are turned off by the lack of UI but this is secondary to a true programmers concern...a pretty interface or IDE means nothing if the objective of the underlying code is worthless...

I honestly believe once you learn/appreciate C,C++ then you can program in any language irrespective of environment.

If lack of pretty UI development controls or IDE turns you off from programming, then i believe you were never meant to be a programmer...but instead fell in love with the idea.

Always best to learn C first before other languages. All the rest are easy to catch when you now C.

Quote Originally Posted by codecarnage View Post
    I know you added your disclaimer stating that its your opinion...but surely...you can see whats wrong with the with this. C,C++ at its bare minimum teaches you the importance of logic and principles involved in programming, now i would say yes most people are turned off by the lack of UI but this is secondary to a true programmers concern...a pretty interface or IDE means nothing if the objective of the underlying code is worthless...

I honestly believe once you learn/appreciate C,C++ then you can program in any language irrespective of environment.

If lack of pretty UI development controls or IDE turns you off from programming, then i believe you were never meant to be a programmer...but instead fell in love with the idea.
    true true, exactly what I was saying!!
    The greatest discovery of all men through lifetime is that a man can alter his life by altering his attitude!

Programming is all about problem solving, regardless of the environment.
    The fox was probably right - they could have been sour grapes.

I dont agree 100% with the article/professor, however I do understand their frustration. I think when people are learning to program too much emphasis is placed on the language. More emphasis should be placed on the things that makes a good programmer, things like problem analysis, data structures, algorithm concepts, design patterns, object oriented design... etc. The language you learn is not important. If you are a good programmer, then transitioning from one language to another should not take more that a few months, the hardest part of learning a language is learning the libraries, not its syntax.
    easiparcel.com Shop online and ship to Jamaica