Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mozilla: Respect due !!

Default Mozilla: Respect due !!

I have just recently been using Mozilla as my browser and man !! I have been missing out on alot for years! I now feel like an eagle....with IE I felt more like a fat chicken.

One of the many features that has me hooked is the use of navigator tabs.

For those who have never tried it. Download a copy (for Linux, Windows) at:
    http://www.mozilla.org

Mozilla, BTW comes with RedHat...can't speak for other Linux distributions

Default Re:Mozilla: Respect due !!

Netscape/Mozilla rules. On my machince it's the default browser. It's sweeeet. Ibuilt my site entirely in it. the older versions suck though I must admit.

It's nice and fast now. There's this option that's in the tabb browsing settings that "Load tab in background". So when I visit a webpage I can just click the first fifteen or so links I see without anything poping up.

I too have been using mozilla for a little while now and i must say i am very impressed. Just like Owen i have come to love the tab feature which allows me to browse several webpages in the one browser window, and the pretty handy password manager and the host of other cool features i have grwn to love. The sad thing however is that i have not yet set it as my default browser, guess i'm too lazy to load the various plug-ins such as flash, get all the bookmarks and cookies i have in IE and move it to mozilla. Btw is it at all possible to import ie cookies into mozilla?

Mozilla pretty much comes with all linux distros. It is perhaps the most standards compliant browser available at the moment.
    Linux Users:
    If you like mozilla
    Try Galeon or Phoenix

Windows Users:
    Try Kmeleon or Phoenix

Mac Users:
    Try Camino.

For details visit http://www.mozilla.org

Other features of Mozilla:
    -Pop Up Ad Blocking
    -mouse wheel can be configured to scale text or move back and forth in the history
    -f7 brings up caret browsing
    -right click allows you to view picture in a separate window
    -you can view the source code of "selected" text instead of the entire document
    (that's innovation)

When I use IE I tend to feel like my hands are tied.

<clue>
    BTW for RobyG and the other programmers out there you should try out XUL
    http://www.xulplanet.com/
    Mozilla isn't just a browser, it's a complete application development platform.
    see http://mozdev.org
    </clue>

The xul is pretty fansy - allowing you to add menus and dropdown bars to the netscape shell (using something like javascript ) but I haven't had much time to play with it yet.

Make sure you check the quick launch option in the settings (so that it loads faster).

Another thing I have noticed: Mozilla is much faster with browsing and mail retrieval than IE

One problem I am having : The font on some webpages are far too small. How do I adjust the font size?. Using IE (underr Windows) the font size was okay for these same webpages.

hmm... never had a font size problem before. YOu can change the font size almost the same way as in IE.
    Though one think you haveto careful when using netscape is not goto sites with very fast flash animation (the locks up the process cycles of netscape 7). when this happen I often lose all my tabs .

What I do now though is I book make the groups of tabs I'm using daily!

to increase font size:
    ctrl + [+]

or configure a wheel mouse to increase font size on wheel roll
    edit->preferences->advanced->mouse wheel

Another thing I have noticed: Mozilla is much faster with browsing and mail retrieval than IE
    I agree with the mail retrival being faster. But I think the load times is almost the same for me in both browsers. Only difference is Mozilla loads the page as it gets the html, while IE waits a while before it displays the page. I like how Mozilla does it, I have to confess.

One problem I am having : The font on some webpages are far too small. How do I adjust the font size?. Using IE (underr Windows) the font size was okay for these same webpages.
    I agree too. The smaller size text on some sites are much smaller in Mozilla than in IE.
    Try going to View --> Text Zoom and adjusting the text size from there. (I'm using Mozilla 1.3) Or do what pigeonflight suggested (which is using the shortcut).

Ctrl +
    definately increases the font size but there is more of a fundamental problem I am having with Mozilla (under Linux). As you know some webpages use different font styles on the page. When I view some of these pages, some of the font styles appear way too small while others seem okay. This seems to happen to all my browsers under linux except IE (crossover version).

Do I need to install/load/import additional fonts (such as Windows fonts)? Remember that you gurus out there probably automatically do that when setting up our Linux environment and have forgotten that people like me are still using default settings.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance