View Poll Results: Have you ever been terminated from a job before?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I've been fired/terminated from a job before

12 22.64%
  • No, I've never been fired or terminated from a job

39 73.58%
  • I don't know if I've ever been fired or terminated

2 3.77%
  • I refuse to disclose any information

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Being Fired from a job

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I would suspect that the person's employment contract allowed for the employer to pay in lieu of notice. The person wasn't at the company for very long ... probably 1 year +... so there wasn't a whole heap of money to pay out.
    I think most employment contracts are like that - giving the company the option to pay in lieu of notice.

How did that executive fare after being let go?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCryptoKnight View Post
    How did that executive fare after being let go?
    I don't know, but wouldn't be surprised if they bounced back quickly since they were pretty well known and established in their field prior to joining that company.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

I know of one case where a senior executive was taken to lunch by their superior (w/ HR as well), they had a nice meal and at the end of it they pretty much fired the person. All this was being done while the executive's office and belongings were being cleared out and the executive wasn't even allowed by into the office. The company car was taken away on the spot and they had to call a family member for a lift home.

The information I have doesn't indicate any wrong-doing on the part of the executive to warrant this treatment. I guess this is how they throw you out when you reach certain levels.

Oh and BTW - this is not the case of the telecom exec that you may be thinking of
    firing a person like that is a very cruel thing to do. all they had to do was just give the man his letter and check at the office and tell him to clean out his desk by whtevr time.
    wht if he had private things in his drawer, and having all these persons going through and packing up............
    but as delly_jm said..... what goes around comes back round.!
    i bet the persons that did it werent even the owners of the business..........??
    Back to square one....., back off the ground now........

I know of one case where a senior executive was taken to lunch by their superior (w/ HR as well), they had a nice meal and at the end of it they pretty much fired the person. All this was being done while the executive's office and belongings were being cleared out and the executive wasn't even allowed by into the office. The company car was taken away on the spot and they had to call a family member for a lift home.

The information I have doesn't indicate any wrong-doing on the part of the executive to warrant this treatment. I guess this is how they throw you out when you reach certain levels.

Oh and BTW - this is not the case of the telecom exec that you may be thinking of
    Chris...you shouldn't be afraid to say if is you. We understand and as somebody said, sometimes companies need a scapegoat. We won't judge you for being ushered out of the building.
    The trouble with learning from experience
    is that the test comes first and
    the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by zRo ToLeRaNcE View Post
    Chris...you shouldn't be afraid to say if is you. We understand and as somebody said, sometimes companies need a scapegoat. We won't judge you for being ushered out of the building.

Why yuh a try bait di man so?

Quote Originally Posted by zRo ToLeRaNcE View Post
    lol...Chris, you ran up in a straight drive a while ago.

Seriously though, some of these management types are messed up...for example...i've heard of execs requiring the world from managers without communicating whats required from them and telling them "I don't think you get the vision"....that's why you have to go.

Alot of times what happens is that the board is just interested in figures so if things not working out, find a scapie..."Oh your team has missed a deadline, not good enough" (ok but we delivered 15 ontime)...as a good friend of mine would say "Oh well..."

Delly

Red face

The last one was funny.... whenever your company advertises a job matching what you currently do to the "T".... then it's time to hit the road...
    cell: 807-4523| email: mysonchug@yahoo.com | PM Me

Quote Originally Posted by delly_jm View Post
    Alot of times what happens is that the board is just interested in figures so if things not working out, find a scapie..."Oh your team has missed a deadline, not good enough" (ok but we delivered 15 ontime)...as a good friend of mine would say "Oh well..."

Delly
    always remember that we live in a cruel world and bosses arent interested in you or your well being just the figures!! You are expendable!!!!
    Back to square one....., back off the ground now........

If an employer no longer needs your services, there is not much you can do. All you can do is try to be in the right. Say under the radar. Come to work early, leave slightly after closing time, get ur job done before the deadline and do other tasks if possible without being asked. Things like tht will get you chummy with the execs and u'll be the most favoured and considered when positions open up. In a good amount of cases, accolades won't get you to the top. It's how you work and who you know. Don't ever get too greedy or too comfortable unless you the place. No matter how high up you are. Always think of yourself as expendable and as such always have a contingency plans.

I haven't had a formal job as yet but I've worked with companies even over summers and my work ethic has gotten me to places where people who are more qualified than me can only dream to reach. Eg, I do a little computer science but my study is mostly on Zoology. I ended up in a job as a junior electrical engineer. I have little knowledge about electrical engineering, except my dad is one and used to bring his work home so I picked up a few things here and there. And even then, when we go on site, I still got my hands dirty and tried to help with the installations. Never been fired but been brought before the board. Why? Cause those people who were more qualified than me tried to get me out by spreading lies. I was simply placed somewhere else. Any other situation.... I would've been fired. So bottom line "Whatsoever thy hands find to do, do it with all thy might"

My 2 cents.

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

endosed to the maxx.......

if you cant do what u want when u want then do what u must to get what u want!
    hp touchsmart 610 1030f