Thread: Default Windows 2k processes?

Default Default Windows 2k processes?

Can anyone tell me the names of the default processes that run on Windows 2000/XP (NT). I am having problems with a machine, when the net is being used something starts using up resources. When I shut down the unknown ones the performance will improve. I don't want the delete the unknown ones until I am a 100% certain. I use ad-aware and the performance increases a bit, but not best.

An idea of what happens: The open windows will freeze for less than a min. on average (they overlap and no other can be opened until resources are free).

It’s not a Virus but a Trojan cause as I said; when I close certain processes performance will increase. One of the culprits was bargain.exe. I don’t know where the hell this program came from, but it was on the system running in the background. All the processes that I closed were all running in the background. They are not a part of any ad-driven programs, probably spyware from shareware programs that was downloaded. But I am not 100% certain…
    So if anyone know just pass it on.

Default Re:Default Windows 2k processes?

See if this gives you any help

http://www.blackviper.com/WIN2K/servicecfg.htm

Peace

That's the site I was going to recommend too. I used it to disable most of the services I didn't need running on XP Pro. A really good and informative site.

Actually... I had the tutorials from this site but didn't remember. Thanks for reminding me...

Hey Ropy, adware and spyware is also introduced via Kazaa. Perhaps the best way to detect and neutralise these programs is to acquire ZoneAlarm.

ZoneAlarm tells you which program is trying to access the internet. It pops up a message box telling you the name of the program and the IP address that it's trying to reach. If the IP address is anything other than 127.0.0.1, then check it out. The program is most likely one of those sneaky ads that slips into your system from simple surfing online. Through this filtration process, you can actually determine which programs are adware/spyware, and which ones are legit.

Hope this helps.

- Xeno.

And it's free too (for personal use that is): http://www.zonealarm.com

Another freebie that handles spyware etc

Spybot

http://security.kolla.de/

Thanks for the info. guys, I give it a try...