Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Debit card Cloning

Angry

Here is a 2006 Gleaner Article on the ATM scam when it surfaced in Montego Bay:
    Police probe ATM scam in Montego Bay
    The Area One Fraud Squad has launched a top-level probe into a sophisticated automated teller machine (ATM) skimming ring operating in Montego Bay, St. James.
    The scam involves the use of a portable card reader that is reportedly attached to the front of legitimate ATMs.

Customers unknowingly insert their ATM cards into the skimmer and enter their PIN (personal identification number) codes on the keypads.

The stolen information is then transferred to phoney cards, which are used to withdraw money from the individual accounts. This practice is widespread in the United Kingdom, Canada and the United States.
    These portable card readers are equiped with a mini camera which records when you enter your pin.

I don't know why people still wondering how they got the pin, just read the article above or watch the Video posted above as suggested by jamaicakevkev.
    Last edited by DarkAngel; Dec 5, 2007 at 05:02 PM.

I watched the original video and immediately clutched my wallet in horror. I have never even noticed what the card slot looked like. I do however only use ATM that are adjoined to the banks so hopefully security would notice if someone added one of those card readers. I feel it for you jamaicakevkev and I hope the bank won't find you liable though I hardly doubt it considering that the money has already been withdrawn. Lets hope they are in the giving spirit and indeed makes Christmas a Merry one for you.

ps. Since no one else cares to watch the video, they have cameras in the fake card readers that are pointed towards the keypad so it records you when you enter your PIN.
    Last edited by psilos; Dec 5, 2007 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    I watched the original video and immediately clutched my wallet in horror. I have never even noticed what the card slot looked like. I do however only use ATM that are adjoined to the banks so hopefully security would notice if someone added one of those card readers. I feel it for you jamaicakevkev and I hope the bank won't find you liable though I hardly doubt it considering that the money has already been withdrawn. Lets hope they are in the giving spirit and indeed makes Christmas a Merry one for you.

ps. Since no one else cares to watch the video, they have cameras in the fake card readers that are pointed towards the keypad so it records you when you enter your PIN.
    Not really worried about it if they dont i will simply stop using this debit card and close my personal accounts with them. Kind of amazed that no one else in here has been caught by these crooks this week... CHeck your accounts... the bank gave me a new card today and whats funny is that they asked me if I wanted to link all my savings accounts to this thing...I may be stupid but not crazy
    Imac, Ipad2 3g 64gb & 32gb ATV, Iphone 4s Lime Iphone 5 Sprint, Mac Mini Driving 3 23" Toshiba leds

So after this has been reported to the bank.. what?
    They monitor your account for suspicious activity, and alert you when a purchase is made, or call the cops or what?

Because im thinking every store that has a POS system will have like a unique id or something.. so "you" purchase something over a certain amount...they call you or the cops send in the helicopters and so on...

Or is that all wishful thinking?

I get very paranoid when at the ATM, the popular atm's i try to avoid..
    Entering my pin in the supermarket, even worse.. quick glance over the shoulder, crazy eyes if anybody look pon me too tuff
    Last edited by Virus; Dec 5, 2007 at 06:22 PM.

on a side note me really salt this christmas my bank in the us went bankrupt was taken over by ING who changed the terms and were closing out all accounts took my money out only two now be hit with 200usd worth of charges for returned online payment request that were declined, even though I have paid all my credit cards with my other US account all three of my American express cards are now blocked until my old bank stop sending it back which is 3 times and my old bank charging me 30 bucks every time american express attempts to draw my cash and american express automatically submits it 3 times before they stop and automatically block all of my accounts. Considering that I have christmas shopping to do, well now i can't. and locally my account has been drained so I can't do any shopping locally eather. Merry Christmas mine looking salt.
    Imac, Ipad2 3g 64gb & 32gb ATV, Iphone 4s Lime Iphone 5 Sprint, Mac Mini Driving 3 23" Toshiba leds

You need to take a trip to St. Thomas and soak in a mineral bath. Then link Miss Pearl so she can light some candles for you. You really salt.

Quote Originally Posted by jamaicakevkev View Post
    whats frustrating is that this joker was trying to swindle me again, 10 times, from the card swipe dem should have sent out an armed response team could have been there in less than 5 minutes.

The bank missed a great opportunity after 3 pm yesterday.
    This is the part I don't get. The thieves tried 10 times to cream off more money. I'm sure the bank could have done something about this, especially since they already knew your account had been compromised. I hope the banks have systems and procedures in place to monitor the activities of compromised accounts.

Its going to be horrible when Identity theft gets into full swing in Jamaica because
    1. There are so many idle people around wanting easy money.
    2. The authorities do not seem to be very proactive where tech crime is concerned
    Its going to be a storm in the years ahead.

Well people, for now, anytime we enter an ATM we'll have to scan it properly. Spread the word. This happened last year and the year before. Incidents will just increase from now on. Oh if you guys find anything make sure you post locations and specs of the device.
    Last edited by silentburn; Dec 5, 2007 at 07:59 PM.

any one use the texaco at barbican since friday check your accounts... as a matter of fact you should not use your debit card to open the door to go into the atm use any other card with a magnetic strip... not your debit or credit card

Sorry to hear about that Kev, you might want to skip the mineral bathe and guh straight fi the oils.......you sound like you need it

Hmmm well thankfully you use NCB, you could see exactly where the thieves where trying to make their withdrawls......with BNS....all you see is a date, not even the time and NO LOCATION.

What I did with NCB is link my account online, have one card linked to one account and only when i know i am going to be making outrageous purchases I transfer money to the account with he card using online methods. ( Few years ago was in England and it happened to my cousin)

Plus always hide entering your pin, if you have ever seen me at the Supermarket entering my pin you would swear i am only using my index finger, when I am actually using 3 fingers. Rest my fingers over the button and press away. If you aren't observant you think i am just entering one number four times, and if you are you might think I656 am using 2 fingers.

Well wonder if the cyber crime bill will reach to that level.

I have a question can this scan can only be used at atm? if you try to make a purchase at a store,, they usually enter the last 4 digits on your card before the request is sent to the bank? how will they get this if they are using a 'whitecard'.

Anyways my favorite atm is the one on Knutsford Boulevard, THE NCB ATM right outside MipHone, the card reader is the exact length of the card and the it doesn't hold the card either. so any device on that is easily identified.
    Last edited by selasieye; Dec 11, 2007 at 12:47 PM.

Jah know... I kinda got out of the habit of using my debit card to make pruchases. I prefer to have relatively small amount of cash on me. This is because my debit card is linked to my US account too and the last thing I need is someone joy riding with my funds. My mom uses hers alot though... I'll have to alert her to be more vigilant and I will try your method selasieeye. Thing is...often times I can't remember my debit card number so it takes active thinking.... hence I have to know which keys I'm pressing.

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate